Setup & Software Discussions
Bootcamp not booting after Windows 1903 Update

Bootcamp not booting after Windows 1903 Update  

RSS

Strip_Steve
(@strip_steve)

Hello, 

Since the last windows 1903 update, windows doesn't launch and is stuck at loading when booting through Efi bootable USB.
I can log in windows without booting through Efi but as my Radeon Vega 64 is recognized in device manager, the driver don't seem DE work properly, I already tried to update it. 
I disabled the corrects pcie slots for it to work too.

I can't roll bac to previous version as I deleted windows.old, is there something do to to be able to use bootcamp with my egpu or I just have to wait for a proper update from AMD? 

MacBook pro 15 touch bar 2016
I7 2,9GHz
16go LPDDR3
Razer core X
Sapphire Vega 64

It boots correctly on Mac os. 

Many thanks in advance guys, 

Julien 

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

I have a 2016 15″ MacBook Pro and it works well with W10 1903 and @goalque‘s automate-eGPU EFI boot loader. I’m not sure which particular boot loader or procedure you’re using for your setup. Windows 10 1903 actually improve AMD eGPU support, many other members and I have been able to hot-plug the Radeon eGPU in Windows rather that have it connected at boot. Take a look my recent build for instructions.

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use

eGPU enclosure buying guide

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member

@strip_steve you can download earlier versions of Windows (I have local copies if you can't get any) if you are prepared to nuke and start again, alternatively nuking and start with a clean instal might solve the problem.

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar
GTX1060 + AKiTiO Thunder3 + Win10
GTX1070 + Sonnet Breakaway Box + Win10
GTX1070 + Razer Core V1 + Win10
Vega 56 + Razer Core V1 + macOS + Win10
Vega 56 + Mantiz Venus + macOS + W10

---

LG 5K Ultrafine flickering issue fix

ReplyQuote
Strip_Steve
(@strip_steve)

Posted by: itsage

I have a 2016 15" MacBook Pro and it works well with W10 1903 and @goalque's automate-eGPU EFI boot loader. I'm not sure which particular boot loader or procedure you're using for your setup. Windows 10 1903 actually improve AMD eGPU support, many other members and I have been able to hot-plug the Radeon eGPU in Windows rather that have it connected at boot. Take a look my recent build for instructions.

Ah my USB stick boot might be outdated, I'll try by setting up a partition with yours.

It's strange I got error 12 whereas I did not have it before (x16 and x4 disabled).

@Eightarmedpet Thank you I'll keep that in mind!

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

@strip_steve Yes error 12 is a deal breaker on these 2016 MacBook Pros. They don’t have Large Memory allocation like the 2017-2019 models. What I do is to manually allocate Large Memory through the use of DSDT pre-compiled files for my specific MBP (Radeon Pro 460 dGPU). I store dsdt.aml file within the automate-eGPU EFI boot loader. It works very well.

ReplyQuote
Strip_Steve
(@strip_steve)

Well I tried your method, with the 1.0.5 booting usb key, I put your DSDT in my bootable usb because the only difference beetween our laptop was 512go ssd for me and 1to for you, but nothing does the trick.

When I get to the goalque booting screen my eGPU is not detected, even when hot plugged or plugged before.

I don't know what to do, I think I will go for a clean install this weekend... Why the hell did I deleted windows.old

ReplyQuote
Strip_Steve
(@strip_steve)

Well how strange is that. 

I cleaned installed 1903, runned DDU, installed modded AMD drivers and booted through USB 1.0.5 with you dsdt (could not see the Fat partition I created when booting), and it work again.
In device manager my 460 is recognized too and I don't even have to disable x16 and x4 pcie lane.

The MacBook pro screen does not work tho but I really don't care. 

Fingers crossed it will still work tomorrow.

Thank you once again ItSage you saved another mbp egpu user!

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

@strip_steve I’m glad to hear it’s working for you. By default, automate-eGPU EFI contains the apple_set_os.efi file which enables the Intel iGPU. If you don’t want the Intel iGPU to be running in Boot Camp, you should remove it from the USB subfolder [EFI/CLOVER/drivers64UEFI]. I believe your non-working internal display is due to the iGPU presence which I have noticed can make the Radeon Pro dGPU to be yellow-banged (error 43). Give that a try and let us know whether that helps your internal display working.

This post was modified 2 months ago

ReplyQuote
Strip_Steve
(@strip_steve)

@itsage, well if there is anything that I have leaned from using bootcamp and egpu for that long it's if it work, don't mess it up.

I don't care about the internal display so I am fine!

Still good to know that the removing. Efi from the boot is what caused this though. 

ReplyQuote
Rankamy
(@rankamy)

Bootcamp itself is not an easy thing to use.
https://www.uubyte.com/boot-camp-assistant-not-working.html

This post was modified 1 month ago

ReplyQuote