Bootcamp on Mac using an NVME SSD

Notifications

Bootcamp on Mac using an NVME SSD  

RSS

(@interestingdood)

Hey Guys,

I recently just installed an NVME SSD to my Macbook and had no success with boot camp since apparently the hardware is not compatible with boot camp. I was wondering if anyone had any success with using boot camp with an NVME SSD.

If not, I was wondering if anyone is familiar with the performance of Windows 10 on an external SSD and eGPU. It would be nice if someone could link me to someone's build similar to mine! 🙂

Thank you!

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
Topic Tags
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@interestingdood Which Mac model do you have? What the specs on NVMe drive?

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

ReplyQuote
(@interestingdood)

@itsage

I have a mid-2014 13" MacBook pro. I currently have a Sabrent Rocket 1 TB installed. 

I ended up just getting an external SSD and have been running Windows through it since I couldn't figure it out.

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
(@fiesta5ever)

I'm looking to buy that same Sabrent Rocket 1 TB ssd.

@interestingdood - What do you think is the incompatibility issue? To clarify, you're able to use it as basic ssd storage, but unable to use it as a boot drive for Windows?

As i'm on a 2018 Mac Mini, i would need to use the drive externally. I'm wanting to start a thread about drive partitions. Would I benefit from using a separate drive solely for windows storage or should I partition a 2tb drive for both Mac os and Windows bootcamp? What are the benefits of booting windows from a dedicated boot drive vs. the internal drive?

Theres a lot to unpack here, so i apologize for the word vomit...

2018 Mac Mini - ADT-Link R43SG-TB3 - Red Devil RX 5700 xt

ReplyQuote
(@interestingdood)

@fiesta5ever

Yes, that is correct. My plan originally was to boot camp and partition 500 GB to the MacOS and Windows but I kept getting the BSOD after installation. After researching and reading up on some forums, apparently most NVME SSDs do not support boot camp and I wasn't able to figure it out - which is why I just ended up getting an external SSD to run Windows.

In my honest opinion, how you want to partition your storage is completely up to you. I believe the 2018 Mac Mini should have Thunderbolt 3 ports for fast transfer speeds; thus, I don't think you'll see much of a bottleneck if you choose to go the external route unless whatever you're doing is extremely demanding. Note that I'm currently running Windows on an external SSD and playing games on top of that via USB 3.0 and I have not had any problems with it. 

ReplyQuote