BSOD with Razer Core V2, RTX 2080 & Dell XPS 9570  

RSS

balilewis
(@balilewis)
February 8, 2019 4:01 am  

Hi all,

Spent 3-4 hours today trying to get my Razer Core V2 & RTX 2080 to work with my Dell XPS 9570 with no luck.
Razer chat support is no help as well.

Main issue is that when I plug the Thunderbolt cable to my Dell I keep getting a blue screen stating "SYSTEM THREAD EXCEPTION NOT HANDLED - What failed: ks.sys"

Below are the things I've tried:
- Updating all of my Dell Drivers
- Updating my Thunderbolt drivers
- Installing the latest RTX 2080 drivers to my laptop
- Connecting Razer Core V2 without the GPU & installing Razer Synapse V2 (this worked. Razer Core 2 is showing up as connected under my Thunderbolt settings and the USB ports are working with my laptop)
- Power cycle on & off on both laptop and core
- Confirmed that my wi-fi settings are set to 5GHz

Seems like the only issue is when the RTX 2080 is plugged in. Everytime the thunderbolt cable is connected to my laptop it instantly blue screens.
When the computer restarts it will blue screen as well.

I am out of ideas. Does anyone have any other ones I can try?

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
theitsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin
February 8, 2019 4:38 am  

Does your XPS 9570 have a dGPU? I've noticed some driver conflicts between GTX 1050 Ti Max-Q dGPU and GTX 1080 Ti eGPU. What I did to make sure they both use the same set of drivers was to use DDU. Once Nvidia graphics drivers were removed, I disabled Windows default option to download and install drivers new components. Then I had both dGPU and eGPU active during the manual clean installation of latest Nvidia drivers.

This post was modified 2 weeks ago

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use

eGPU enclosure buying guide

94 external GPU build guides

ReplyQuote
dmoney
(@dmoney)
February 8, 2019 4:23 pm  

Good advice. I'll weigh in with my experience of trying to set up my Razer Blade Stealth that has the Nvidia MX150 and my Core V2 using my Nvidia 980TI. Maybe it'll help if you do indeed have a dedicated GPU in your laptop. 

• I had to use DDU to uninstall all the Nvidia drivers
  • Once DDU cleaned things up I installed the latest desktop driver for my 980TI inside the Core V2
  • Then downloaded the latest Nvidia notebook driver for the MX150, but couldn't just directly install these drivers like normal
  • Used 7zip to extract the contents of the notebook driver executable and located the nv_dispi.inf file in the Display.Driver folder
  • Used Windows Device manager to locate my driverless MX150 which was listed as something generic like VGA 3D Device
  • Then updated driver for this device under Device Manager and used "Browse my computer for driver" and located that nv_dispi.inf file.
  • All I had to do after that was pick the proper name for Windows to call the device so I selected MX150 from a list the Device Manager presented.
  • Rebooted the computer for good measure. 

I'm an egpu noob as I just got mine yesterday and spent a good part of the day getting it setup.

Razer Blade Stealth 4k 13in (2019)
Razer Core V2

ReplyQuote
balilewis
(@balilewis)
February 8, 2019 9:29 pm  

Thanks - I got it to work now. I believe what solved it is having the same drivers for both the dedicated 1050-Ti & RTX2080.

Now everything is working except for the Ethernet port on the Razer Core V2
Any ideas on how to get that to work?

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote