Can't resolve error 12 W/ Razer Core X + RX580 in bootcamp (2017 13" MPB non-touchbar)  

RSS

(@michael_mohr)
August 19, 2018 6:59 pm  

Hey everyone, I'm sorry if this is covered many times over, but I have been trying to get my eGPU to work in windows on my MPB for a day or so now and I can't for the life of me get it to work. I want to preface this by saying I am in no way knowledgeable in terms of thunderbolt or the setup of eGPUs in general. This is all new to me.

The Issue:

If I boot into windows, then plug in the coreX, it will usually result in the system recognizing that there's a RX580 there, but it shows error 12 in device manager. If I try and boot with the thing connected, the windows logo displays, but there is no spinning loading animation and the screen starts to glitch and just gets progressively worse until I turn it off. AMD drivers for the RX580 are installed from the AMD website. If I boot from apple_set_os.efi with it connected, it will boot, but still show error 12 if I remember correctly. Depending on how many things I disabled and how the planets happen to be aligned, I got the card to show something on a monitor for a few seconds before the whole system froze and died. (tried this multiple times, never with any success)

What I've tried:

The most obvious thing I've tried is disabling the PCIe root port for the FaceTime HD camera. That didn't affect the situation. Then for the sake of experimentation I tried disabling the one for the WIFI card too, and that didn't seem to work either. Then I tried uninstalling the top option for PCIe (I can't remember what it was called) and then rebooting after the system shat itself and crashed. I hoped it would reconfigure where/how the resources are allocated or something. Still no luck.

I'm not sure at what point I got the card to work for a few seconds but it never worked properly, and as I'm sure you can tell, I have no idea what I am doing anyways. Let me know if I am doing something obviously, stupidly wrong.
---------
I tried it in Windows enterprise LTSB 2016 first then Windows 10 pro for workstations. I figured it would work on that if it works on anything. The setup works beautifully in MacOS, but games perform badly and I want to see if Windows will help or if I need to upgrade my 
MacBook in order to get decent performance. I tried both thunderbolt ports. I feel like I'm just missing something very obvious.

Thanks for your time!

I have yet to list my system & eGPU hardware or link a build guide in my signature. I will do so soon to give context to my posts.

ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin
August 20, 2018 1:37 am  

Please review successful AMD eGPU Win10 builds for your system to see what was needed to overcome error 12:

https://egpu.io/build-guides/?table_filter =""2017 13-inch Macbook Pro Touchbar" Win10 AMD"

eGPU Setup 1.35    •    eGPU Port Bandwidth Reference Table    •    Several builds
2015 15" Dell Precision 7510 M1000M + macOS 10.14 & Win10

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member
August 20, 2018 6:52 am  

If you’re adding an egpu to game in windows just grab an Nvidia card, I’ve tried 4 and they were all plug and play, the 2 AMD cards I have tried have been nothing but trouble (error 12).

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touchbar + [email protected] (AKiTiO Thunder3) + Win10
2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar + [email protected] (Sonnet Breakaway Box) + Win10

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar + GTX1070 (debating 2070 upgrade) @32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core V1) + Win10
---
LG 5K Ultrafine flickering issue fix

ReplyQuote