Code 12 Error after Windows reinstall
Hi all, I have a Lenovo X1 Extreme paired with a Rx5700 XT in a Razer Core X Chroma. Have had no issues with the build for months until last night when I reinstalled windows onto a new SSD. Now when I receive the below error
I've reinstalled windows again, nuked drivers with DDU etc but no change. Any ideas on what exactly has changed here? How do I fix? The suggested fixes I can see are unbelievably complicated.
Thanks for the help guys, I'm currently on version 18362.418. I can see from reading the other forums that the newer version of windows breaks eGPU's, which makes sense in that I updated my windows when I reinstalled.
However from looking, I can't find a way to roll back to a working version- which of the below am I removing?
OK cheers mate, I'll give it a crack and see what happens.
This is such classic eGPU mucking around, it's never simple hey
Unfortunately, various versions of 1903 have broken eGPU support for a lot of users (not just Macs either). It's pretty much a case of 'your mileage may vary', but generally speaking, it's pretty broken at the moment.
If you reinstalled from scratch, you probably would've installed a version of 1903. The only way to rollback is to start again with an 1809 ISO (which you can find on the Microsoft website).
Hi, so I've reinstalled windows using different ISO files and keep booting into 1903 windows. I couldn't find any old ISOs to download from windows but I tried using a 3rd party ISO as well as my friends laptops system (which hasnt updated) to create an 1809 ISO but just seem to boot into 1903 regardless. Any tips?
You can grab the 1809 ISO here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-au/software-download/windows10ISO (select the October 2018 Update option).
As for booting into 1903 Windows, how exactly are you reinstalling Windows?
As long as your 1903 build is less than 18362.295 you are fine (so 1903 V1 ISO would work too).
Amazing, no idea why I couldn't find that. I'm booting via usb ISO created via windows media creation tool, I also tried Rufus when I used the 3rd party 1809 ISO. I'll give it another go when I'm home tonight
If you're formatting the drive during the installation then it might be updating during the latter stages of the Windows setup. Disconnect from the internet while you do the setup and let it get all the way into Windows first. Disable updates and then reactivate the internet.
Fixed! Successfully rolled back to 1809, however not via that link as if you're using windows it redirects you to a page which does not let you specify the edition- very annoying. I spoke to some dude via their customer support chat who gave me a working link. From there I reinstalled and everything now works as expected.
Thanks for the help all