Notifications
Clear all

Dell 5300 eGPU questions  

RSS

(@ed_lu)

Hello.  I purchased a dell 5300 2 in 1 laptop for my son to use for school this year.  With the current stay at home order, he would like to use this laptop to play some games at home.   

this dell has a i7-8665U with 16GB ram, SSD, running win10.  

This laptop has the thouderbolt 3.  I am planning to order a case and with a middle of the road GPU like a RX5500 and attach it to a monitor.

my question is when he needs to go back to school does he needs to reinstall the dGPU driver?  than when he comes home before he plugs in the thouderbolt with the eGPU he needs to remove the dGPU driver and install the eGPU driver?    I guess i am asking if this set up will be more of a plug and play type.

Thanks.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Topic Tags
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@ed_lu, Which dGPU does the laptop have? If it's an Nvidia dGPU, the drivers for AMD eGPU won't interfere at all. 

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2020 13" MacBook Pro [10th,4C,G] + RX 5700 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Prototype eGPU Enclosure) + macOS 10.15.4 & Win10 1903 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
(@ed_lu)

@itsage, No.  the dGPU is intel UHD 620.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@ed_lu, That's an integrated graphics card, iGPU. You don't need to worry about drivers compatibility.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2020 13" MacBook Pro [10th,4C,G] + RX 5700 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Prototype eGPU Enclosure) + macOS 10.15.4 & Win10 1903 [build link]  

ReplyQuote