Dell 9570 (i9, 32GB RAM, Intel 630 + Nvidia GTC 1050 Ti MAX-Q) + GTX 1060 6GB @ TB3 (Razer Core X Chroma) + Win 10
Just thought I would list my build and the issues I have had thus far:
I have a Dell 9570 laptop with the following specification:
- i9-9850HK (6C+6T), 32GB Ram, Intel 630 + nvidia GTX 1050 Ti MAX-Q
I purchased a Razer Core X Chroma e-gpu to be able to use it with a RTX 3080, however, due to supply shortages, I'm having to make do with a GTX 1060 6GB card for now. I initially purchased a AMD RX 480 4Gb card, however, I could not install the drivers at all. The card would install fine but there would an astrex displayed in device manager and the control panel would not open, giving a device not found error. I tried everything, including older drivers, disabling the other graphics cards, removing all drivers using the special uninstaller software etc, but it would just not run. I suspect this is due to drivers issue with potentially windows as well.
I then purchased a Asus Strix GTX 1060 6GB OC card and installed this first time without issue. I uninstalled the existing nvidia drivers (for the gtx 1050Ti Max-Q) and disabled both the 1050Ti (including the actual hardware pci-express) and intel 630 card in device manager, deleted everything using DDU, restarted with the e-gpu plugged in and everything just work first time.
The laptop is powered using the razer core x chroma thunderbolt cable. Although there is a warning displayed about power, the laptop has continuously remained at 100% fully charged. I have a dell dock as well but not connected.
I have an external monitor Xiaomi 34" WQHD ultra wide 144Hz which I use directly with the e-gpu. I have set the laptop to never sleep, and do nothing with the screen closed, so I can leave it docked, however, to switch it on, I have to physically open it and press on.
Some initial testing I have carried out has given the following results:
- Counter Strike Source, 3440x1440, everything high - onboard GTX 1050 Ti MAX-Q= around 60-65fps (using external monitor) - e-gpu GTX 1060 6GB=around 120-125fps.
- Temperatures - i9 regulary hit 80/90deg.C using onboard GTX 1050Ti, however, this dropped to around 60/70deg.C (plus, minus 10) when I disabled intel 630 and GTX 1050.
- The laptop fan is coming on less often when just surfing the internet (0-10% utilisation) and temperatures idle on around 50deg.C, whereas with the intel gpu, they hovered around 60deg.C and would ramp up every 10minutes or so for a few minutes and generally felt hot.
I am very impressed with the egpu as it has doubled the performance of the onboard GTX 1050 Ti Max-Q and reduced temperatures by 10-15deg.C. Hopefully, I can get hold of the 3080 to increase performance as the 1060 is quite an old card.
1) Some issues include, not being able to boot the laptop/e-gpu combination without manually switching the laptop on.
2) Razer Core X Chroma ethernet seems to have an issue as it constanly disconnects every 10minutes or so, requiring a reboot (seems to be a common issue; I need to resolve next).
No other issues thus far.