Dell 9570 (i9, 32GB RAM, Intel 630 + Nvidia GTC 1050 Ti MAX-Q) + GTX 1060 6GB @ ...

Notifications
Clear all

Dell 9570 (i9, 32GB RAM, Intel 630 + Nvidia GTC 1050 Ti MAX-Q) + GTX 1060 6GB @ TB3 (Razer Core X Chroma) + Win 10  

RSS

MasterBlaster87
(@masterblaster87)

Hi,

Just thought I would list my build and the issues I have had thus far:

I have a Dell 9570 laptop with the following specification:

I purchased a Razer Core X Chroma e-gpu to be able to use it with a RTX 3080, however, due to supply shortages, I'm having to make do with a GTX 1060 6GB card for now.  I initially purchased a AMD RX 480 4Gb card, however, I could not install the drivers at all.  The card would install fine but there would an astrex displayed in device manager and the control panel would not open, giving a device not found error.  I tried everything, including older drivers, disabling the other graphics cards, removing all drivers using the special uninstaller software etc, but it would just not run.  I suspect this is due to drivers issue with potentially windows as well.

I then purchased a Asus Strix GTX 1060 6GB OC card and installed this first time without issue.  I uninstalled the existing nvidia drivers (for the gtx 1050Ti Max-Q) and disabled both the 1050Ti (including the actual hardware pci-express) and intel 630 card in device manager, deleted everything using DDU, restarted with the e-gpu plugged in and everything just work first time.

The laptop is powered using the razer core x chroma thunderbolt cable.  Although there is a warning displayed about power, the laptop has continuously remained at 100% fully charged.  I have a dell dock as well but not connected.

I have an external monitor Xiaomi 34" WQHD ultra wide 144Hz which I use directly with the e-gpu.  I have set the laptop to never sleep, and do nothing with the screen closed, so I can leave it docked, however, to switch it on, I have to physically open it and press on.

Some initial testing I have carried out has given the following results:

• Counter Strike Source, 3440x1440, everything high    -  onboard GTX 1050 Ti MAX-Q= around 60-65fps (using external monitor)    -     e-gpu GTX 1060 6GB=around 120-125fps.
    • Temperatures - i9 regulary hit 80/90deg.C using onboard GTX 1050Ti, however, this dropped to around 60/70deg.C (plus, minus 10) when I disabled intel 630 and GTX 1050.
    • The laptop fan is coming on less often when just surfing the internet (0-10% utilisation) and temperatures idle on around 50deg.C, whereas with the intel gpu, they hovered around 60deg.C and would ramp up every 10minutes or so for a few minutes and generally felt hot.

I am very impressed with the egpu as it has doubled the performance of the onboard GTX 1050 Ti Max-Q and reduced temperatures by 10-15deg.C.  Hopefully, I can get hold of the 3080 to increase performance as the 1060 is quite an old card.

ISSUES -

1) Some issues include, not being able to boot the laptop/e-gpu combination without manually switching the laptop on. 

2) Razer Core X Chroma ethernet seems to have an issue as it constanly disconnects every 10minutes or so, requiring a reboot (seems to be a common issue; I need to resolve next).

No other issues thus far.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin

Thank you. Please complete the build template to be included in the builds area.

eGPU Setup 1.35    •    eGPU Port Bandwidth Reference Table

2015 15" Dell Precision 7510 (Q M1000M) [6th,4C,H] + GTX 1080 Ti @32Gbps-M.2 (ADT-Link R43SG) + Win10 1803 // compares M.2 vs TB3 performance inc unoptimized H-CPU BIOS [build link]  

ReplyQuote