Notifications
Clear all

Dell E5580, TB3 port doesn't work?  

RSS

glj
 glj
(@glj)

Hi

1. Got a Dell Latitude E5580 which should have a Thunderbolt 3 port. I have a TB3 ->DP hub (from "plugable"), but upon connecting, I get a message that the device is malfunctioning.

2. Now, I'm not sure it is a TB3, but given the fact it can be purchased with the Dell TB16 Thunderbolt 3 dock, it should have it.

3. Support says that I need the dock in order to make it work. Any way to bypass it?

Thanks

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin

There may be Thunderbolt security and boot support settings in the BIOS. Try changing security to ‘Legacy’ and boot support to be ‘enabled’. plugable.com may be able to advise further if still require assistance.

eGPU Setup 1.35    •    eGPU Port Bandwidth Reference Table

2015 15" Dell Precision 7510 (6th,4C,H) + GTX 1080 Ti @32Gbps-M2 (ADT-Link R43SG) + Win10 // compares M.2 vs TB3 performance

ReplyQuote
Sky11
(@sky11)
Reputable Member

I suggest to check for BIOS and Thunderbolt Firmware updates; it may help (but you may still need to follow nando's advise)

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
glj
 glj
(@glj)

Thanks

The only TB3 options in the bios I see are grayed. 

How can I verify that it's indeed a TB3 port?

ReplyQuote
vava726
(@vava726)
Estimable Member

Posted by: glj

Thanks

The only TB3 options in the bios I see are grayed. 

How can I verify that it's indeed a TB3 port?

Ports & Slots

1. Audio Combo Jack | 2. External SIM tray (optional) | 3. USB 3.0 Powershare | 4. VGA | 5. Nobel Wedge lock slot | 6. RJ45 | 7. HDMI | 8. USB 3.0 | 9. Power 
10. Display Port Over Type C; optional Thunderbolt | 11. USB 3.0 | 12. SD slot

Connectivity

Ports are evenly distributed around the three edges of the notebook with one USB 3.0 port on each side. VGA, HDMI, and DisplayPort over USB Type-C all come standard for a wide variety of display output options. In comparison, the ThinkPad T570 has omitted VGA while the https://www.notebookcheck.net/Toshiba-Satellite-Pro-R50-C-6006U-HD-Laptop-Review.210916.0.html&usg=ALkJrhimPZB-t1jqLH1SvZgXgo3DFWP1S A" target="_self">Satellite Pro R50-C includes more USB Type-A ports and an integrated optical drive. Thunderbolt 3 support is optional but recommended to further increase the versatility of the notebook.

I think that you haven't got tb controller on your laptop

ReplyQuote
rhx123
(@rhx123)
Eminent Member Moderator

Do you have the 940MX GPU?

In the 5580 that's a requirement for Thunderbolt.

XPS 13 9360 + Acer Graphics Dock

ReplyQuote
glj
 glj
(@glj)

I don't. I saw they wrote it, yes, but the there was a configuration option for the TB16 dock. I'll contact them

ReplyQuote
rhx123
(@rhx123)
Eminent Member Moderator

That sucks. Yes, you have to configure the 940MX, higher wattage PSU, and TBT Palmrest (stupid place for it) to get TB3 on the Enterprise Dells.

It's rather stupid. Hopefully on-die TB3 will stop this in the future.

XPS 13 9360 + Acer Graphics Dock

ReplyQuote
glj
 glj
(@glj)

Thanks Richard

I saw these instructions before, but I got mine from the outlet. Some of outlet laptops have an optional TB16 dock. I thought it might be an indicator (I saw no other indicator, not even on those system that are supposed to have it)

It's a bummer, because the Latitudes are much more interesting than many others laptops, for me. But, at least I still live, no?

I'll report if there is anything new

ReplyQuote