Dell Precision 3551 + Razer Core X - System freezes randomly with eGPU setup and...

Notifications
Clear all

Dell Precision 3551 + Razer Core X - System freezes randomly with eGPU setup and has to be powered off by force every time  

RSS

Jannis David Zwahlen
(@jannis_david_zwahlen)

Hello everyone, this is my first post in the eGPU forum and I'm really frustrated with the current problem i have.

First of all this is my setup:

Dell Precision 3551

- i9-10885H

- 64 GB RAM.

- Quadro P620

Razer Core X + Nvidia GTX 1650

(Waiting for GPU prices to drop and i could only get a 1650 at a reasonable price ahah).

Issue:

My System keeps freezing randomly (about 5-15 times) a day which really makes work and school hard. It would freeze when just writing Word documents, just browsing the internet and so on. Weirdly it never happened while playing games (atleast for now). The screen would just freeze and the sound would loop for a 30 seconds before silence. Unplugging the eGPU doesn't solve the problem (The laptops screen will stay black and the only sign of live is that the Keyboard will still light up when a key is pressed). The System works flawlessly without the eGPU plugged in. Drivers are also all up-to-date.

Here's all the things I've tried that I can remember:

- Setting Power-settings to Maximum performance in the Nvidia control panel.

- Using the Notebook drivers for my Graphics card (and uninstalling the older drivers) multiple times.

- Disabling the Dedicated GPU in the Device manager.

- Under-clocking my GPU 5%.

I've tried really almost everything since it has been bothering me since the beginning. It would be awesome if the System could be more stable since it really makes Work more hard.

It once was crashing repeatedly (9 times in 2 hours) which almost made me loose my temperance.

Any help would be kindly appreciated and sorry for the English-grammar.

Thanks in advance

Dell Precision 3551 (i9-10885H @2.40Ghz, 64GB RAM, Quadro P620) + Razer Core X: GTX 1650 4GB Single Fan.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Founder Admin

@jannis_david_zwahlen, I recall having a similar issue with some Nvidia eGPU setups. What fixed it for me was to change [PCI Express > Link State Power Management > Settings: Off] in Power Options. Give it a try and see if that helps.

LinkedIn | Twitter | Facebook | Youtube | Instagram

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2020 13" MacBook Pro [10th,4C,G] + RX 6700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (CM MasterCase EG200) + Win10 1903 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
ha1o2surfer
(@se12897)
Trusted Member

I can't say for certain, but I get random freezes at idle when using long thunderbolt cables. I don't though when using short ones. Are you using long cables?

2020 13" HP EliteBook 830 G7 [10th,6C,U] + RTX 2070 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 20H2 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Jannis David Zwahlen
(@jannis_david_zwahlen)

@itsage, Hello and thanks for the reply

The problem i have with that is that my advanced settings are missing in the power-plan.

I only have

- Desktop background settings

- Power saving (when the laptop goes to sleep or hibernate)

- Display

- Battery (only notification settings)

I've also tried manually enabling the high performance power-plan with this guide: https://appuals.com/how-to-restore-missing-power-plan-options-on-windows-10/

But haven't had any luck so far 🙁

@se12897, Hello and thanks for your reply.

I'm fully aware that longer cables can have a huge impact which is why I'm still using the standard Thunderbolt3 cable that was included in the Core X

(1m).

Dell Precision 3551 (i9-10885H @2.40Ghz, 64GB RAM, Quadro P620) + Razer Core X: GTX 1650 4GB Single Fan.

ReplyQuote
Jannis David Zwahlen
(@jannis_david_zwahlen)

@itsage, Okay after some manual tweaking in the registry i finally got the option to configure the PCIE-Express settings.

Thank you so much for the suggestion and i hope it'll fix the issue.

itsage liked
ReplyQuote