Setup & Software Discussions
Dell Precision 7530 and Razer Core X with RTX2080ti "Try improving the usb conne...

Dell Precision 7530 and Razer Core X with RTX2080ti "Try improving the usb connection error"?  

RSS

Peter Carroll
(@peter_carroll)

Hello, I am trying to setup a Dell Precision 7530 with a Razer Core X and RTX2080ti for VR use in work.
When I connect the Razer Core X there is an error message "try improving the usb connection..." but it does not recognise the GPU. The Razer Core does appear in Device Manager as a USB device.

I found another user on this board with this Laptop using a Core X.
The Laptop is brand new but has an old version of Windows 10 (1703 build  1506.1928) as this is the build we use in Work at the moment. Do you think this is the cause of the issue?

Anything else I can try as upgrading Win 10 is difficult?

Thanks

Peter

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

Posted by: @peter_carroll

"try improving the usb connection..."

That message means Windows didn't detect a Thunderbolt 3 connection. Have you checked the BIOS to make sure Thunderbolt is enabled. You may want to upgrade to Windows 10 1903 for best compatibility.

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use

eGPU enclosure buying guide

ReplyQuote
Peter Carroll
(@peter_carroll)

Posted by: @itsage

Have you checked the BIOS to make sure Thunderbolt is enabled

Hello and thanks for the fast response.

I have uploaded some screenshots of the relevant BIOS screens. Can you check if your settings are different if you still have the laptop?
https://imgur.com/a/niP2npb

Thanks
Peter

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

@peter_carroll The settings look good. Does your system have either Intel Thunderbolt Software or Thunderbolt Control Center?

ReplyQuote
Peter Carroll
(@peter_carroll)

@itsage

Thanks for checking that, I have installed the Dell Thunderbolt Driver Version 16.3.61.275, A03 but nothing appears when you plug the Core in apart from the error message and the Core as a USB device. I will look into the Control Centre but I suspect it's the same thing.
If it works for you on this Laptop I suspect it may be the Windows Version so will have to look into that next week and get a non-standard build done. We are stuck with this old build on our Business devices currently if we want to connect to the company LAN but I guess I could just use the device offline in the meantime.

Thanks, Peter

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

You can check Thunderbolt Boot Support box in BIOS and have the enclosure connected prior to boot up. Older version of Windows may not handle hot-plug well having the Thunderbolt 3 connection at boot may help.

ReplyQuote
Peter Carroll
(@peter_carroll)

@itsage

Hello,
So I have updated the BIOS and Thunderbolt Firmware and installed the latest build of Windows on the Laptop with the latest Dell Thunderbolt drivers. When I connect the Core X now I get a different error "Thunderbolt support may be limited" and the external GPU is not detected, just the Core X as a USB device. I have tried all different combinations of BIOS settings but nothing works.
I was able to connect a Thunderbolt Dock to the Laptop successfully so it seems to be okay.
Just about ready to give up on this now, not sure what else I can try. I wonder is there a problem with the supplied TB3 cable or Core X itself?
Would you be able to supply more details on the BIOS settings, Drivers etc you are using?

Regards,

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

@peter_carroll If your laptop can detect and use a Thunderbolt 3 dock then the culprit is with the enclosure and/or its supplied cable. Can you try a different Thunderbolt 3 cable?

ReplyQuote