Setup & Software Discussions
Dell XPS 13 9360 and Auros GTX 1070 GamingBox (connection issue)

Dell XPS 13 9360 and Auros GTX 1070 GamingBox (connection issue)  

RSS

(@alex_jeske)

Hi,

I have my eGPU now over four month and the first month it work like a miracle, right away without any problems.
After the first month, the connection to the Dell was not always working. Sometimes it connected but sometimes did not.

I contacted the Gigabyte support as well as Dell support to find the cause if that issue. I tried all the changes the supports team recommended and I reinstalled my whole system to find out if there is some corruption in software and with a clean slate, I thought the system would run better. It seemed to work for a few days but changed to the old habit.
Dell support came and replaced my motherboard and the eGPU started working but after a few days, this also did not really solve the problem.

In the last month, I always felt by trying all the options that it might have to do with my Thunderbolt 3. The reason for that is that in most cases it worked when the Laptop was powered up and the battery was charged. Since the new mainboard, when I plug the eGPU a window pops up which shows the Power Manager and tells me that I have the wrong power supply/ charger connected. I know that the eGPU has its own power but why my TB3 does not bypass this and connects it as my eGPU.
Sometimes if I try to plug it in and out, wait and plug it again, it works but sometimes does not. Sometimes I wait longer and try to turn my laptop on and off again and it works but sometimes does not. I have no idea what causes the problem and I do not know what I do that it works.
Does any off you have the same issue or similar?
It would be great if any off you have suggestions.
THX

Alex

This topic was modified 1 week ago

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

The XPS 9360 technically was never certified for eGPU use as were many other Thunderbolt 3 laptops. This often times doesn't mean it wouldn't work with an eGPU. Situations like what you're facing is why Intel has been hesitant with eGFX certification. 

With that said, I think if you have the power adapter connected to the XPS 9360 rather than relying on Power Delivery from the Gaming Box it would work better. You can also change Thunderbolt settings in the BIOS to see whether that helps. In my experience Windows 10 1903 seems to work better for most eGPU users so give it a try as well.

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use

eGPU enclosure buying guide

ReplyQuote
(@alex_jeske)

Thank you for the reply.

I do have Win10 1903 installed and I did tried many different options of the settings in BIOS and left the one where the eGPU most times worked.
It is strange that sometimes it works and sometimes does not. I wonder why Dell cannot make it possible to use an eGPU. I would think that a software update (BIOS or else) would be possible to make it happen but I am not that knowledgeable to know if this is right.
Thanks anyway, I have to try and be happen of those time where it works. Maybe one day Dell will do something about that.

If you still have any suggestions, which could may be help I would appreciate. Thanks

Alex

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote