Dell XPS 15 7590 + Razer Core X Chroma.. Doesn't work ??

Notifications
Clear all

Dell XPS 15 7590 + Razer Core X Chroma.. Doesn't work ??  

of  2
  RSS

OldDogmeat
(@olddogmeat)

Hello,

I'm new on these forums and have arrived here due to a problem with my setup simply not working and both Dell and Razer simply not being forthcoming with answers to the questions that I have asked.

My Laptop is a Dell XPS 15 7590 with both integrated Intel graphics as well as Nvidia GTX 1650, 16GB RAM, Windows 10 Pro Version 1909, OS Build 18363.720.

I purchase a Razer Core X Chroma eGPU, along with a Gigabyte RTX 2700 Super.

I've updated the Laptop BIOS to latest, I also updated the Thunderbolt Firmware, Drivers and am using the latest Microsoft ThunderBolt Control Centre software. (see below screen grabs).

If I connect the eGPU via the XPS 15s single TB3 Port the mouse ceases to function on the laptop, the mouse cursor locks in place and I have to completely reset the system in order to get mouse control again.

Initially I was sceptical of the GPU installed into the Razer Core X Chroma so I removed it and checked to see if the eGPU would connect, which it does (see images below)

So, I deduced that it may be an issue with the GPU (Which sadly I have no way to test in another enclosure right now (COVID-19).

However, on further testing of the Core X's connection I see that only 2 of the 4 USB connections are working and I see no Ethernet.

I'm a little lost and am looking for general info regards my setup... I see that another user on here has successfully set up this same Laptop and eGPU but he mentions that it just worked for him.

Perhaps I have been sent a faulty Razer eGPU product with only some of its functionality working?

Any help would be very welcome.

Dan

Laptop - Dell XPS 15 7590 i7-9750H 16GB Win10 18363
Razer Core X Chroma + Gigabyte RTX 2070 Super

ReplyQuote
Mabrothrax
(@mabrothrax)

Hi,

I have pretty much the same setup as You, with Dell XPS 15 7590, Core X Chroma and RTX 2070 Super. I had some problems at start, but not as You describe so i'll have to ask - have You uninstalled the dGPU along with blocking the windows from downloading the DCH drivers with DDU? Also, have You specificly downloaded the non-dch driver for the card from Nvidia?

The freeze is most probably connected to the power consumption spike so be sure to check the battery profile settings. Also download the Dell Power Manager software and configure a plan there to have a maximum performance plan.

So to cover all my problems that i had with this setup:

- Random freezes

- USB shutting down

- Ethernet shutting down

Stuff that i did to fix all those above:

- Turned off the Link State Power Management from the powershell

- Downloaded the Dell Power Manager and set up the maximum performance plan

- Uninstalled dGPU drivers with turning off the auto-download from windows

- Downloaded the non-DCH drivers from nvidia

- Plugged in the Razer Core X Chroma with installed RTX 2070 Super

- Installed the drivers

- Turned off USB Selective Suspend with powershell "powercfg -attributes 2a737441-1930-4402-8d77-b2bebba308a3 48e6b7a6-50f5-4782-a5d4-53bb8f07e226 +ATTRIB_HIDE"

- Checked every HID and USB manually with device manager and then turn off the selective suspend if needed

- In Device Manager turned off the iGPU and dGPU because of the stuttering

- In Device Manager -> Network Adapters -> ASIX AX88179 USB controller -> Advanced -> Interrupt Moderation Rate - Disabled, this thing was killing my internet in like 2 minutes after plugin the cable.

- In Nvidia Control Panel -> 3D Settings -> Power management - Maximum Performance

And yeah, thats what i did and it worked for me like a charm - since that, no problems at all and smooth expierience.

Hope this will help You in any way.

Dell XPS 15 7590 + Razer Core X Chroma + MSI RTX 2070 Super

2017 13" MacBook Pro [7th,2C,U] + GTX 1080 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
OldDogmeat
(@olddogmeat)

Thanks for your help Mabrothrax

Truth is, I'm not comfortable with the whole process of fiddling with all of this technical stuff in order to gain a few FPS in the odd game.

I bought the Razer Core in order to bump the performance enough to allow me to play HL Alyx, but also had plans beyond that as I work professionally in game-dev (an an animator) and felt it was time to take a look at the whole VR thing again. It was a toss-up between building a small Ryzen 3950x based PC, or..  One of these fancy, plug and play eGPU's I'd heard so much about...   little did I know they were so awkward to get working.  I thought the whole point of Thunderbolt was to just plug the thing in and go..  Serves me right for not researching properly.

I've decided its easier to just send the Razer thing back..   and build a small PC, as I need the laptop for work and am afraid I might screw it up

Again, many thanks for your help.

Dan

ReplyQuote
OldDogmeat
(@olddogmeat)

So, just to follow up here..

A cautionary tale for your average computer user who expects a simple plug and play experience as Razer advertises with the Razer Core X Chroma.  Maybe it is plug and play with their own Razer laptop..  Not with a Dell XPS 15 7590 however. Beware potential purchasers.

I eventually plucked up the courage (believe me I was a nervous wreck at points during the process, afraid of ruining my Windows installation and needing to do a complete re-install)..  to go ahead and follow the procedure outlined by Mabrothrax above this post (thanks Mabrothrax btw) and to my amazement (I was convinced it would still not work) it all just worked...

In fact I need to thank a couple of others here as it was by stitching together their procedures that I managed to get this thing to work.

So thanks also to Emmanuel Barinia for his thread here..

https://egpu.io/forums/builds/2019-dell-xps-15-7590-9th-6c12t-gtx-1650-razer-core-chroma-rtx-2070/

.. and a HUGE thanks to pinkvoxel whose knowledgable grpahics driver info is linked by Emmanuel Barinia in the link above..

I can not, however, extend my thanks to either Dell or Razer..  who were both pretty much useless with this issue..  

Caveat...    this worked in my case..  it may or may not work in other peoples cases.. be aware.

The thing I was scared to do was use this 3rd Party software (DDU) to remove all of the GPU drivers that Dell had installed..  It turned out that was exactly what was required and was the root cause of all of my issues with mouse driver lockup and the Razer Core not being detected with the RTX 2070 Super installed.

Once I had got rid of Dells installed GPU drivers and followed PinkVoxels thread about grabbing non-DCH drivers from the CUDA Universal driver install package..  everything fell in to place.

Beware to the timid, there is trickery here (its probably all low key to technical people, but was a little scary for me) in both removing the factory GPU drivers and then installing the non-DCH drivers.

One thing I also had to do, as mentioned by Mabrothrax above was to completely disable the Nvidia GTX 1650 device in order to get a stutter free experience, which was a shame as I was hoping to drive the laptop screen with that hardware and my big screen direct from the RTX 2070 in the eGPU..  but for some reason it causes an intermittent stutter during any of the benchmarks...  disabling the GTX 1650 in device manager fixed this.

Results

I'm not much of a Bencher..   but I grabbed a few obvious benchmarks that I'd come across and the results for me are good..  I don't chase numbers..  I just wanted an improvement in gaming and graphics throughput and was happy to see this thing delivering finally. So the below numbers may not be overly impressive in the great scheme of things but I am happy with it..  It also passed the 'Is your computer good enough to run HL Alyx' test 🙂    (I just now need COVID-19 to go away so that Valve can ship my Index).

Furmark

Uningine Heaven

Again, thanks to these forums and to the individuals who helped, either actively or passively.

Parmar and itsage liked
ReplyQuote
Parmar
(@parmar)

@olddogmeat, thanks for sharing this in detail! We have pretty much the same mindset regarding what we want regarding this and I've got an almost identical setup and finally received my Core X Chroma today. Plugged everything together and ended up in the same boat as you! Bluetooth mouse and keyboard connection dead. Wifi dead. Windows crippled and blue screening. Really disheartened I began googling on my phone and found this post. Going to try out the instructions and see how it pans out.. 

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 7590 i9-9980HK 32GB
eGPU: Razer Core X Chroma + Gigabyte RTX 2070 Super

ReplyQuote
BlueYon
(@blueyon)

@olddogmeat, disable your intel graphics card. they interffer with each other

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Parmar
(@parmar)

Following on from my previous post, turned out that when my laptop crippled, it had somehow blown something in the thunderbolt port. The laptop now no longer charges from it. The weird thing is that it still thinks it does.

When I connect the CoreX or my existing WD19TB dock:

• In Windows, the laptop thinks it is charging and displays the charging icon along with the estimated time to full charge.
  • When off, the laptop front LED lights indicating it's charging.
  • In the BIOS, the battery info shows it is plugged in and charging.

HOWEVER, if I sit and actually watch the battery level for a few minutes in the BIOS or in Windows, the battery level actually drops meaning it's not charging but discharging as though it was not plugged in. If left like this, it will discharge all the way and shutdown to the point it can't be started up again as the battery is flat.

I'm now having to also plug in my barrel charger to continue using it with my external monitor. My laptop is around 9 months old so I have the option to repair it under warranty.

ReplyQuote
bmd0
 bmd0
(@bmd0)

@parmar, isn't this the expected behaviour as the core x only puts out 100w but the 7590 needs 130w? I have always received errors when charging over usb-c to indicate that it is now powerful enough

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
bmd0
 bmd0
(@bmd0)

I have another similar setup - 7590 with a core x (not chroma) but with a 5700xt

I absolutely cannot make this setup work, I have tried every combination of driver / setting / anything else that I read online with no results. Incredibly disappointing! 

ReplyQuote
Parmar
(@parmar)

@bmd0,

Posted by: @bmd0

isn't this the expected behaviour as the core x only puts out 100w but the 7590 needs 130w?

Hi, yes that's right but not when I connected my original WD19TB charger which does output 130W.

Since that whole incident, I've had Dell come out and replace my motherboard. What followed still baffles me. After the replacement, I immediately re-connected my setup and still the laptop wouldn't charge despite showing the charging icon and indicators. I figured then that it must be my dock that's at fault. I continued to use it along with my barrel charger with the intention of contacting Dell again when I had time to get that replaced. About 6 weeks had passed.

A couple of weeks ago, my son had accidentally switched off my barrel charger at the wall socket, I hadn't noticed until I finished that evening and on switching off the lights, I noticed the barrel charger LED wasn't on. Then I thought it was odd my laptop was running fine all day and still fully charged.

It's turned out since that my dock is working perfectly again with the eGPU attached. I've observed the charge levels and it is charging correctly as it did originally (pre-eGPU). I can't explain why it's started working again which is annoying but it is working and working correctly with all the eGPU/Core X Chroma functionality too.

ReplyQuote
 of  2