Dell XPS 15 7590 + Razer Core X Chroma.. Doesn't work ??

Notifications
Clear all

Dell XPS 15 7590 + Razer Core X Chroma.. Doesn't work ??  

of  2
  RSS

bmd0
 bmd0
(@bmd0)

Posted by: @parmar

@bmd0,

Hi, yes that's right but not when I connected my original WD19TB charger which does output 130W.

Since that whole incident, I've had Dell come out and replace my motherboard. What followed still baffles me. After the replacement, I immediately re-connected my setup and still the laptop wouldn't charge despite showing the charging icon and indicators. I figured then that it must be my dock that's at fault. I continued to use it along with my barrel charger with the intention of contacting Dell again when I had time to get that replaced. About 6 weeks had passed.

A couple of weeks ago, my son had accidentally switched off my barrel charger at the wall socket, I hadn't noticed until I finished that evening and on switching off the lights, I noticed the barrel charger LED wasn't on. Then I thought it was odd my laptop was running fine all day and still fully charged.

It's turned out since that my dock is working perfectly again with the eGPU attached. I've observed the charge levels and it is charging correctly as it did originally (pre-eGPU). I can't explain why it's started working again which is annoying but it is working and working correctly with all the eGPU/Core X Chroma functionality too.

Awesome, I'm glad it sorted itself out. I actually didn't know the TB3 dock delivered 130W, I thought that was a hard limitation on the 7590 which they changed in the newer 9500. 

Seems total pot luck as to whether the eGPU works for you or not. I can't make mine work no matter what...

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Parmar
(@parmar)

Posted by: @bmd0

Awesome, I'm glad it sorted itself out. I actually didn't know the TB3 dock delivered 130W, I thought that was a hard limitation on the 7590 which they changed in the newer 9500. 

Thanks. Obviously I'm relieved I got it all working. Only bug bear now is that I have to disconnect the TB when I'm done for the day/night as even when the laptop powers down, the eGPU remains powered up to supply power (for charging). Disconnecting it then powers down the eGPU. I can live with that.

Seems total pot luck as to whether the eGPU works for you or not. I can't make mine work no matter what...

Apart from the power issues I had which was caused by this, actually getting it working wasn't all too difficult. Following what @olddogmeat did, did help a lot.

I have read others with the same setup as me having it working fine so I was convinced I could make it work. Unless you have a fault, it probably just need to find that specific config to make it all work.

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 7590 i9-9980HK 32GB
eGPU: Razer Core X Chroma + Gigabyte RTX 2070 Super

ReplyQuote
Zoltan Uszta
(@zoltan_uszta)

@bmd0, with not working do you mean the charging or something else? I'm also using a core x and an XPS 7590, my first build with a 270x was working, but I had suspend-resume issues - I had to unplug-replug the tb3 cable to have the gpu detected (the core x was shown connected, but the X-Connect has disabled the 270x after waking up the notebook). I swapped it to a 1070 gtx, now everything seems working fine. (but it is a fresh build)

I core x is charging the notebook with 65W only, I guess there are no other energy levels known by the 7590. My 90W non-dell charger is recognized as 65 as well, on the other way around as I know 130W original usb-c dell charger is has also limited energy levels (e.g. it can only deliver 20V and 5V, not 12V like my lenovo usb-c adapter) 

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Parmar
(@parmar)

Yeah that is another thing I've noticed, once I disconnect the dock (through which my Core X is connected), can't just reconnect the Core X. Currently I have to reboot the laptop with the TB connected to recognise the CoreX and use it.

ReplyQuote
Zoltan Uszta
(@zoltan_uszta)

@parmar, isn't an unplug TB3 cable-replug enough? (or core x turn off-turn on) - I did not have to reboot the notebook, but I had a crash once

I'm not sure if it is relevant, under the thunderbolt control center I've set mine to always connect. But the suspend problem was only gone when I switched to the nvidia card.

BTW I'm using the standard windows drivers installed automatically

ReplyQuote
Parmar
(@parmar)

Posted by: @zoltan_uszta

I'm not sure if it is relevant, under the thunderbolt control center I've set mine to always connect.

Good call. I didn't even think of that. My dock was set to connect always however the (2x) Core X connections was set to "Connect only once". I've changed all to "Always connect" so hopefully that fixes that!

ReplyQuote
bmd0
 bmd0
(@bmd0)

Apart from the power issues I had which was caused by this, actually getting it working wasn't all too difficult. Following what @olddogmeat did, did help a lot.

Thanks, I actually did go through that process yesterday after reading this thread but had no luck with that either. I followed the cuda setup etc. 

@bmd0, with not working do you mean the charging or something else? I'm also using a core x and an XPS 7590 , my first build with a 270x was working, but I had suspend-resume issues - I had to unplug-replug the tb3 cable to have the gpu detected (the core x was shown connected, but the X-Connect has disabled the 270x after waking up the notebook). I swapped it to a 1070 gtx, now everything seems working fine. (but it is a fresh build)

I core x is charging the notebook with 65W only, I guess there are no other energy levels known by the 7590. My 90W non-dell charger is recognized as 65 as well, on the other way around as I know 130W original usb-c dell charger is has also limited energy levels (e.g. it can only deliver 20V and 5V, not 12V like my lenovo usb-c adapter) 

It doesn't actually work. I cannot get a stable connection to the eGPU, sometimes it will crash within minutes of being connected and sometimes I can have it connected for 10 minutes before it crashes. I was wondering if it was power related at first, but I am fairly confident the Core X and the GFX card (5700xt) are ok because I have my work Mac plugged in and it is completely stable. 

I have tried so many combinations of config / driver etc. I also tried a fresh OS build but if anything the problem was worse after that. 

ReplyQuote
QuintonFlynn
(@quintonflynn)

Thanks, I actually did go through that process yesterday after reading this thread but had no luck with that either. I followed the cuda setup etc. 

@bmd0, with not working do you mean the charging or something else? I'm also using a core x and an XPS 7590 , my first build with a 270x was working, but I had suspend-resume issues - I had to unplug-replug the tb3 cable to have the gpu detected (the core x was shown connected, but the X-Connect has disabled the 270x after waking up the notebook). I swapped it to a 1070 gtx, now everything seems working fine. (but it is a fresh build)

It doesn't actually work. I cannot get a stable connection to the eGPU, sometimes it will crash within minutes of being connected and sometimes I can have it connected for 10 minutes before it crashes. I was wondering if it was power related at first, but I am fairly confident the Core X and the GFX card (5700xt) are ok because I have my work Mac plugged in and it is completely stable. 

I have tried so many combinations of config / driver etc. I also tried a fresh OS build but if anything the problem was worse after that. 

Hi bmd0,

Crashing after 10 minutes sounds familiar. Have you given this a try?

total freezing after 5 - 10 minutes when the computer was under low workload. I figured it was due to Power State Link Management that have been written on the forum. However the Dell Power Schema does not allow me to configure it. I had to go into registry and add it myself through these steps:

1. Find the Key that has "FriendlyName: Dell" in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power\User\PowerSchemes (For me the key was 49ef8fc0-bb7f-488e-b6a0-f1fc77ec649b).
2. Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power\PowerSettings\501a4d13-42af-4429-9fd1-a8218c268e20\ee12f906-d277-404b-b6da-e5fa1a576df5\DefaultPowerSchemeValues and add that Key.
3. Add AcSettingIndex and DcSettingIndex REG_DWORD with value 0

Screenshot of the setting:  https://imgur.com/a/rg6oGxa

From this thread: https://egpu.io/forums/builds/2019-15-dell-precision-5540-quadro-t2000-9th8ch-rtx-2080-ti-32gbps-razer-core-x-chroma-win10/

ReplyQuote
bmd0
 bmd0
(@bmd0)

@quintonflynn, thanks for taking the time to reply. 

I did disable the PCI LSPM, although I did it by editing the reg to enable the option in power options (option 2 here). I didn't come across the method you discuss, but I will give that a go and see if it helps. I discovered that there was a firmware update for my thunderbolt controller, was really hopeful that would resolve the problem but it immediately reoccurred! lol. I think I am running out of things to try

ReplyQuote
Parmar
(@parmar)

Latest update..

After all the power issues I had, my laptop thunderbolt port appears to have blown again! The same events occurred as last time, it did a thermal shutdown 3 times in a row and now it won't charge off the dock anymore. Exactly the same following symptoms as last time (laptop thinks it's charging but it's not).

Was on the phone to Dell yesterday and explained the problem, they sent me another dock today but the it still doesn't charge the laptop which pretty much confirms the port is at fault. Everything else connected to it works fine, just won't charge. Only solution now is to get the motherboard replaced again to fix it.

I'm pretty fed up with this now. I've also read elsewhere that the cooling system on the 7590 is fairly useless for the thunderbolt port which explains why my fans are constantly at full throttle when I have my dock connected. Apparently due to it's placement, it's ineffective at cooling it properly which is why the surface above also gets so hot.

My brother in law has the 13" version of this laptop has the same overheating problems with his dock.

It's a shame, without a dock it performs awesome but I need my setup with external monitors and connected devices.

Decided now to get rid. I'm selling the laptop (after it's repaired), the dock(s) and the eGPU. I've been inspired instead build a (modded version) of this "invisible desk PC" and use another lesser specc'ed laptop for mobile working.

This post was modified 1 month ago

ReplyQuote
 of  2