Setup & Software Discussions
Dell XPS 15 9570 + Gigabyte Auros GTX 1080 Gaming Box - Why won't it work on Int...

Dell XPS 15 9570 + Gigabyte Auros GTX 1080 Gaming Box - Why won't it work on Internal Monitor ?  

RSS

QuaneDK
(@quanedk)

Hi alle! I hope some of you might have the same setup as me or can educate me a little, since I can't understand why it doesn't work like I thought it would 🙂
It seems like other people on the Interwebz have it working like out-of-the-box with no issues at all. Not for me...

Thanks in advance for anyone pitching in on this.

Setup:

Mission:

• Be able to use the eGPU with the internal monitor on the laptop without the external monitor. Etc. when going to LAN party so I don't have to carry extra monitor.

Issue:

• When external monitor is not plugged in:

• Nothing will run on the eGPU GTX 1080 (GPU 1). Only the onboard Intel UHD 630 (GPU 0).

• MTG Arena runs at 20-50 FPS.

Info:

• When external monitor is plugged in:

• Everything works flawlessly.

• It seems like it turns off the integrated GTX 1050 be itself.

• MTG Arena runs at Gsync monitor at 144FPS

• When external monitor is not plugged in:

• Windows sees GTX 1080 as GPU 1 and Intel UHD 630 as GPU 0.

• It seems like it turns off the integrated GTX 1050 be itself.

• Nothing will run on the GPU 1.

• MTG Arena runs at 20-50 FPS on GPU 0.

• When I right click the desktop and click "NVIDIA Control Panel" it just says something like: "NVIDIA-monitor settings is not available. At the moment you're not using a monitor, that is connected with a NVIDIA GPU" (Translated from Danish til English)

Torubleshooting:

Issue no. 2:

• Can't update Nvidia drivers to newest 419.35. It fails at installation "NVIDIA-installation cannot proceed" and tells me to update through Geforce Experience. Geforce Experience tells me the latest drivers is 384.76 that I'm using (downloaded from Gigabytes site)

Question:

• Shouldn't it be possible to use the eGPU on the internal monitor with no hazzle ?

• Why can't I update drivers past 384.76 ?

Setup: Dell XPS 15 9570 + Gigabyte Auros GTX 1080 Gaming Box + Windows 10

ReplyQuote
bootz
(@bootz)
Eminent Member

Graphics Options > Advanced > Add application > Choose use High Performance Graphics.

You don’t have access to the NVIDIA control panel when using the internal display only. 

This post was modified 7 months ago

iMac 4k 2015 - 21.5" (iGPU only)
i5-5675R @ 3.10 GHz
8 GB RAM
Aorus Gaming Box 1070 via TB3 > TB2 adapter
Windows 10.0.17134

QuaneDK liked
ReplyQuote
thorne402
(@thorne402)

Yeah most likely the problem is related to the XPS using either Intel integrated GPU or the 1050 while using the internal screen. Try bootz's solution and see if it helps.

Dell XPS 13 9380 | i7-8560U | 16GB | 512GB | 4K Touch
Dell XPS 15 9570 | Base model, returned to shop
Dell XPS 13 9370 | i7-8550U | 16GB | 512GB | FHD (returned to shop)
Sonnet Breakaway Box 550W | MSI RTX 2060 Gaming Z | AOC Agon AG271QG
Waiting for a ASUS ROG XG Station Pro

QuaneDK liked
ReplyQuote
QuaneDK
(@quanedk)

Posted by: bootz

Graphics Options > Advanced > Add application > Choose use High Performance Graphics.

You don’t have access to the NVIDIA control panel when using the internal display only. 

Thank you very much! What an easy LAN party I'm attending next time! This was able to fix my issue.

On a side note doesn't that seem to be a weird way to have to do things ? Is it supposed to be like this? I mean, everything else just kind of "works out of the box" why do I have to tell Windows that it needs to use the powerfull graphics adapter to certain application. It would be nice if Windows had a "use this GPU for ALL applications that can support it"

Setup: Dell XPS 15 9570 + Gigabyte Auros GTX 1080 Gaming Box + Windows 10

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

Nvidia Optimus is a graphics switching software that can dynamically power the internal display either through the Intel iGPU or Nvidia dGPU. When you introduce a third graphics card externally, things become more complicated for the software to do its job properly. You can either use Windows Graphics Options as mentioned @bootz above or assist the system by disabling the Nvidia dGPU.

I tried the XPS 9570 + GTX 1050 Ti Max-Q with GTX 1080 Ti eGPU. I manually disabled the GTX 1050 Ti dGPU in Device Manager and the XPS 9570 automatically used GTX 1080 Ti eGPU for all graphics-heavy tasks.

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use

eGPU enclosure buying guide

QuaneDK liked
ReplyQuote