Dell XPS 15 9570 + GTX 1080 Ti in HP Omen Accelerator - random mini FPS drops

Dell XPS 15 9570 + GTX 1080 Ti in HP Omen Accelerator - random mini FPS drops  

RSS

Morv
 Morv
(@morv)
Eminent Member

Hey,

been not around a while, having the eGPU used mostly as a dock for my XPS with Linux I now wanted to move to the notebook(upgraded to 32GB RAM, 2TB Intel 660p) + eGPU as my sole computer with Windows 10 (again).

While I know of the the overall reduced performance and thus decreased FPS there are random mini FPS drops with PUBG, which is my evening main game, from 60 to say 56 or 58. Without the weird drops it's pretty much stable 60 FPS, maxed out on WQHD. Lowered shadows setting one step and reduced render scale from 100 to 90 but to no avail.
The drops especially appear when rotating the camera or turning around. This does not occur on my desktop computer (Ryzen 2700X, 32GB RAM, the same GTX 1080 Ti etc.). F1 2019 also has some issues when one can look around on the starting grid but the drop is stable and when the race really starts it's up to 60 again. The FPS drop down about 10-20 FPS, depending on where you're placed in the grid. I don't know what it's like on the desktop computer, I didn't swap the GPU back yet.

I thought it's because I was using the ethernet port of the Omen but this evening I tried it without it being plugged in and the problem still persists.
I can handle the loss of performance by reducing the quality settings but these drops are driving me "crazy", it's something I'm really reacting allergic to, so to say. Many people might not even notice it but I always notice if the FPS drop below 60 even when I'm watching someone else's display...

Does anybody have similar issues? The dGPU 1050 Ti of the XPS is turned off, otherwise everything is stuttering like hell. I know that docks with USB ports and stuff (except the Core V2 due to 2 TB3 controllers?) mostly have issues but I thought it's only coming up when you actually use the extra ports. I'd be willing to swap the dock to something else if it's delivering stable FPS. How's the Core X or the Core X Chroma, with the latter having USB ports and an ethernet port again?

Sorry for the wall of text 🙂

This topic was modified 3 months ago

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

@morv Not clear if you have an external monitor in this setup. Also to note is the lack of cooling for the PCH chip in the XPS 9570. Maybe it’s worth a shot to apply some thermal pads to it and see if the FPS drops go away.

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use | eGPU enclosure buying guide

ReplyQuote
Morv
 Morv
(@morv)
Eminent Member

@itsage Sorry, I'm on an external WQHD 60 Hz monitor and oh wow, I didn't know of this issue with the PCH chip. I knew of thermal issues and throttling of the CPU but this did not occur to me yet in a way that I'd be concerned. While gaming the CPU sits mostly at around 3,9 GHz.

I'll give the thermal pads a shot, I wanted to add some to the VRMs anyway as shown at some other page.

This post was modified 3 months ago

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

Give that a try and let us know how it works for you.

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use | eGPU enclosure buying guide

Morv liked
ReplyQuote