Dell XPS 9350 + Akito Node issues  

RSS

(@alex_schumann)
May 22, 2019 11:17 pm  

Hey, guys, I have a Dell XPS 13 9350 (I7 6500U - 8gb - 512gb -4k Touch). I recently purchased an Akito node and Rx480 8gb, because I'm going to Virginia for 8 weeks and don't wanna bring my pc. 

I'm unable to get the GPU to be detected consistently. Sometimes the node comes up in Tb3 software without the GPU working and sometimes the GPU works. Sometimes the node nor the GPU come up. When the GPU does come up it's only on for maybe a minute. I should Mention I am going to an external monitor.

I have done the following to try and solve the issue

• Updated TB3 Software
  • Updated Bios
  • New TB3 Cable

Looking for any other solutions to try and help solve the issue. Thanks for reading this!

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
theitsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin
May 23, 2019 12:49 am  

Boot into BIOS and check the Thunderbolt 3 Security Level settings. The default is SL1 (User Authorization). You can switch it between SL1 and SL0 (No Security) to see if if detection would be more consistent.

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use

eGPU enclosure buying guide

94 external GPU build guides

ReplyQuote
(@alex_schumann)
May 23, 2019 1:37 am  

Hey man thanks for the suggestion!! I tried it with no real change in results except the fact that immediately after booting I get a message. It says radeon egpu connected then 10 seconds later Radeon egpu disconnected. It seems to be coming from the RX480 driver.

Maybe this helps maybe it doesn't but when I boot into windows the blue light in the front of the node flashes a bunch. It comes on when I have the tb3 cable. When its on but the gpu is working the light is also blue.

I have these options in the Bios

• Enable Tb3 Technology (Checked)
  • Enable TB Adapter Boot Support (Checked)
  • Enable TB Adapter Pre-Boot Modules (Checked)
  • Security Level - No security (Selected)

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
theitsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin
May 24, 2019 7:50 pm  

The blue light in front (AKiTiO logo) is an indication of active Thunderbolt connection. It should be steady blue when the cable is firmly attached between the Node and XPS 13. I'd say to check to ports on both the laptop and enclosure. Open the Node up to check for any loose connections as well.

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use

eGPU enclosure buying guide

94 external GPU build guides

ReplyQuote