Different programs (GPU-Z, HWMonitorPro, HWiNFO etc.) showing different number o...

Notifications
Clear all

Different programs (GPU-Z, HWMonitorPro, HWiNFO etc.) showing different number of PCIe lanes on Thinkpad T480s + GTX 1080 Razer Core X eGPU build  

RSS

RaggaMuffin
(@raggamuffin)

Hi everyone,

I have a Lenovo T480s (20L8) 8th gen i7-8650U and a Razer Core X with an MSI GTX 1080 GPU connected via thunderbolt 3 and hooked up to a monitor via Displayport 1.4. Everything is working quite well and as far as I'm aware, all my drivers and bios for the machine and card are up to date. 

However, when I use my go-to graphics card monitor utility, GPU-Z, it shows a different number of PCIe lanes used than other programs. It shows I use 4x 3.0 out of a possible 16x 3.0 that is supported. Then, when I use HWiNFO, it shows I am using only 2x lanes. 

I understand that my T480s should only allow 2x 3.0 (two lanes), so does anyone know why GPU-Z would show 4x (4 lanes) being used, even after running the PCIe render test?

Thanks

2018 Lenovo T480s [8th,4C,U] + GTX 1080 @ 16Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + Win10 / Arch

ReplyQuote
joevt
(@joevt)
Noble Member

@raggamuffin, you didn't post a screen shot of HWiINFO.

Thunderbolt 3 eGPU has four lanes.

Whatever device HWiNFO was showing only has two lanes (some PCIe bridge device closer to the root).

Mac mini (2018), Mac Pro (Early 2008), GA-Z170X-Gaming 7, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Radeon Pro W5700, Sonnet Echo Express III-D, Trebleet Thunderbolt 3 to NVMe M.2 case

ReplyQuote
RaggaMuffin
(@raggamuffin)

@joevt, Hi, is the second photo not showing? Here is the direct link . It shows the GTX 1080 as PCIe 3.0 x16 (8.0 GT/s) @ x2 (2.5 GT/s).

2018 Lenovo T480s [8th,4C,U] + GTX 1080 @ 16Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + Win10 / Arch

ReplyQuote
joevt
(@joevt)
Noble Member

@raggamuffin, I didn't look closely enough. I was expecting the PCIe list in HWiNFO. x2 is very strange. It might be considering the parent PCie bridges. I would look at all the PCie devices between the root and the GPU to see what each is using for PCIe link width and link rate.

Mac mini (2018), Mac Pro (Early 2008), GA-Z170X-Gaming 7, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Radeon Pro W5700, Sonnet Echo Express III-D, Trebleet Thunderbolt 3 to NVMe M.2 case

ReplyQuote