Difficulty getting the GPU to boot with Core Chroma and RTX 2080ti

Notifications
Clear all

Difficulty getting the GPU to boot with Core Chroma and RTX 2080ti  

RSS

malocadi
(@malocadi)

Hi, I run an RTX 2080ti in a Razer Core Chroma X on a Dell XPS 9300 (2020) and at times it seems really difficult to get the GPU to stay on. What I mean by this is I'll turn on my laptop with the Core connected, the GPU would briefly come on, then shut off, leaving only the idle power from the core (no usb, no ethernet either). 

I've tried to do my research and do all manner of power cycles between the core and the laptop but the results are never consistent. Sometimes I can get the GPU to stay up, other times it doesn't. 

I've also tried fiddling with so.e thunderbolt settings in my bios but to no avail. Could it be a voltage issue on the port?

Please help, this is the one huge downside to my setup that's making me think about just going back to a tower.

2020 13" Dell XPS 13 9300 [10th,4C,G] + RTX 2080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X Chroma) + Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@malocadi, RTX cards have firmware compatibility issue with certain laptop. The only workaround is to hot-plug once the system is running. I've encountered this same issue with multiple Macs as well as other brand laptops.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2020 14" MSI Prestige 14 EVO [11th,4C,G] + RTX 3080 @ 32Gbps-TB4 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
malocadi
(@malocadi)

Thanks @itsage, I hadn't heard of this method before and I could've sworn that unplugging/replugging while the Windows was running flat out didn't work for me. I saw that people were uninstalling Synapse so I tried that and it seems like I can now reliably get the GPU to stay up after this hot-plugging method.

2020 13" Dell XPS 13 9300 [10th,4C,G] + RTX 2080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X Chroma) + Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Calvin Or
(@calvin_or)

Up me too having problem with razer core x + msi 2080ti to boot up. 
it’s not getting detected im on windows 10 bootcamp.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote