DirectX 11/12 & GPU Compute Problems w/ AMD RX 580 eGPU?

Notifications
Clear all

DirectX 11/12 & GPU Compute Problems w/ AMD RX 580 eGPU?  

RSS

Auston Li
(@auston_li)

Hello all,
I recently acquired an eGPU setup.
Background info:
HP Spectre x360 13" (Late 2017)
Intel i7-8550
Sonnet Breakaway 550
XFX Radeon RX 580 GTS XXX Edition (8GB)

I'm running the most recent Windows 10 and have the AMD Drivers set to version 18.8.1 and have the up to date TB3 drivers as well. For the most part it's been functioning fine across the board, but in some instances it seems like certain software cannot utilize the eGPU.

So I ran some PassMark graphics benchmarks and here are eGPU results.

The DirectX 11/12 & GPU Compute tests are utilizing the Intel UHD 620 Graphics instead of the eGPU for some reason. Is this some sort of hardware/software problem? And how might I solve it with software updates?

I apologize if this is an extremely basic or common problem, but I wasn't able to find much through doing my own research. Thanks so much for the time and help in advance!

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Sky11
(@sky11)
Reputable Member

Hi Auston,
- Easy solution: attach a display to AMD eGPU and set that display as your primary desktop, and then run you applications. They will run on AMD eGPU by default (and that's Microsoft defined behavior)
- More complicated (only applicable if you are using laptop's screen as primary/the only display): assign application GPU affinity in Radeon Settings:   https://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/DH-017.aspx

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote