eGPU + Dell XPS 13 9365 (2-in-1)  

RSS

theblazingwasab
(@theblazingwasab)
January 12, 2017 6:36 pm  

Hi guys,

I'm having an issue with my eGPU coming up as unsupported on the XPS 13 2-in-1.  I have updated my BIOS and all Thunderbolt drivers to the latest ones off of the Dell website but it is still showing up as unsupported.  Another user with the same laptop over at Reddit ( https://www.reddit.com/r/Dell/comments/5mlogw/just_bought_an_xps_2_in_1_from_bb_ama/) shows that he got his working with the Razer Core and TheITSage was able to get it working with the Alienware R4 which uses the same TB3 controller (15D9).  Any suggestions?

I'm trying to hook mine up to the PowerColor Devil Box w/GTX 1070 FE.  The computer recognizes the eGPU enclosure, it is just showing it is incompatible because "eGPUs are not supported".  

My current version:

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
theitsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin
January 12, 2017 8:58 pm  

My Dell XPS 9350 shows "External GPUs supported: No" as well. What do you see in Device Manager under Displays?

Have you tried turning "Security Level:" to No Security (SL0)? If not, access the BIOS to make that change and see if it makes a difference.

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use

eGPU enclosure buying guide

86 external GPU build guides

ReplyQuote
theblazingwasab
(@theblazingwasab)
January 12, 2017 9:07 pm  
Posted by: theitsage

My Dell XPS 9350 shows "External GPUs supported: No" as well. What do you see in Device Manager under Displays?

Have you tried turning "Security Level:" to No Security (SL0)? If not, access the BIOS to make that change and see if it makes a difference.

I will check the BIOS. 

My display adapters only show the iGPU. 

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
Excalibur
(@excalibur)
Eminent Member
January 15, 2017 2:22 am  

Do you know if there is a NVM firmware update for your laptop? Yours is awfully outdated.

Current: Thinkpad W540 - i7 4900MQ - 32 GB DDR3L - Quadro K2100M - Akitio Thunder2 - GTX 660 OEM
Retired: Thinkpad W520 - i7 2860QM - 32 GB DDR3L - Quadro 1000M - EXP GDC Beast - GTX 560 Ti - GTX 660 OEM

ReplyQuote
theblazingwasab
(@theblazingwasab)
January 15, 2017 3:30 am  

It is the "latest one" per the Dell website. 

ReplyQuote
weblynx
(@weblynx)
February 15, 2017 6:44 pm  

Any success in the past month?

ReplyQuote
BadgerLovetone
(@badgerlovetone)
April 11, 2017 2:12 am  

Any update on this one guys? I have a new XPS 13 2in1 and want to use it for some light gaming (halo wars, Ark) just wondering if it is possible? 

ReplyQuote
theblazingwasab
(@theblazingwasab)
April 11, 2017 6:53 am  
Posted by: BadgerLovetone

Any update on this one guys? I have a new XPS 13 2in1 and want to use it for some light gaming (halo wars, Ark) just wondering if it is possible? 

Never got it to work.  I ended up returning the laptop due to battery drain issues during sleep mode, along with the irritating screen brightness changing. 

ReplyQuote
theitsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin
April 11, 2017 1:10 pm  

I've been testing a Dell XPS 9365. It works with both the AKiTiO Node and Mantiz Venus. @theblazingwasab sorry to hear of your bad luck. It has a lot to do with timing. Dell has since released fixes for those issues. Asus also has a firmware update to support more computers.

AquaeAtrae liked
ReplyQuote
ivanviola
(@ivanviola)
May 18, 2017 4:13 pm  

How did you get it to run? My NVM is version 9.00, external GPU support: no. Please share with me the magic how to turn the "no" to "yes".

Thank you,

Ivan

ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin
May 18, 2017 4:18 pm  

@Ivan, take note of enclosures marked at https://egpu.io/external-gpu-buyers-guide-2017/#tb3-enclosures maked with:

Updated firmware3 - Allows eGPU detection in Windows for systems reporting “external GPUs supported: no” in the Intel Thunderbolt software

Such firmware allows detection and use of TB3 eGPUs on hosts such as yours that are not certified for them.

eGPU Setup 1.35    •    eGPU Port Bandwidth Reference Table    •    Several builds
2015 15" Dell Precision 7510 M1000M + macOS 10.14 & Win10

ReplyQuote
ivanviola
(@ivanviola)
May 19, 2017 7:33 am  

I have the Devilbox, looked up the link to the new firmware, flashed it and the eGPU works like a charm without any updates necessary on the Thunderbolt firmware from Dell's support. Amazing!

https://www.reddit.com/r/eGPU/comments/5w2npj/fresh_devilbox_firmware_update/

Thank you very much for this important hint!

Ivan

ReplyQuote
khul
 khul
(@khul)
June 19, 2017 8:42 pm  

Hello all!

Sorry bump kind of old thread! I got a couple questions!

1-How do you manage to get power on the Dell XPS 13 9365 (2-in-1)? I understand it has only one 4 lanes Tb3-USBC-Charping port  wich is used to connect to eGPU....so if the TB3 port is being use for te egpu... laptop recieves power from this cable aswell or you just run the laptop from its internal battery?

2- I plan on using akitio thunder3 pci-box for the gpu and use its extra tb3 port for a multiport donlge to connect ethernet and all my peripherals. Do you think this would work?

Thanks you for your input!

ReplyQuote
theitsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin
June 19, 2017 8:53 pm  

For your needs, the Mantiz Venus enclosure is the best choice atm. It has upto 87W power delivery to charge your XPS 9365 while the eGPU is plugged in. It also has 5x USB ports, 1x Ethernet power, and 1x SATA connector.

Mymantiz_John and khul liked
ReplyQuote
khul
 khul
(@khul)
June 20, 2017 1:19 am  

Hello @theitsage .While i was choosing the thunder3 because of its smaller size (that a limitant factor in this time purchase) i might go for Venus now that i realise is finally ready for preorder and as you point out, its awesome =)

Any posible ETA on when it might be available on amazon?

ReplyQuote
Sky11
(@sky11)
Reputable Member
June 21, 2017 2:51 pm  

Side note: as far as I know, all XPS laptops (esp recent ones) work well with AMD XConnect. You do need eGPU box with the latest NVM.

If you can see the GPU in the Device Manager after you plugged it to your laptop, then just ignore "eGPU not supported" warning and install the driver.

OEMs put that warning so they do not get support calls associated with eGPU; it does not mean that their hardware cannot work with eGPUs.

P.S.  I have Dell XPS13 9360, updated to the latest system BIOS, and with Crimson 17.6.2, no issues whatsoever.

theitsage liked
ReplyQuote
theitsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin
June 21, 2017 3:07 pm  

I agree that verbiage causes confusion. I hope Intel get rid of that in its Thunderbolt Software. The early version of Intel Thunderbolt Software didn't have it at all.

ReplyQuote