Notifications
Clear all

eGPU + Dell XPS 13 9365 (2-in-1)  

of  2
  RSS

theblazingwasab
(@theblazingwasab)

Hi guys,

I'm having an issue with my eGPU coming up as unsupported on the XPS 13 2-in-1.  I have updated my BIOS and all Thunderbolt drivers to the latest ones off of the Dell website but it is still showing up as unsupported.  Another user with the same laptop over at Reddit ( https://www.reddit.com/r/Dell/comments/5mlogw/just_bought_an_xps_2_in_1_from_bb_ama/) shows that he got his working with the Razer Core and TheITSage was able to get it working with the Alienware R4 which uses the same TB3 controller (15D9).  Any suggestions?

I'm trying to hook mine up to the PowerColor Devil Box w/GTX 1070 FE.  The computer recognizes the eGPU enclosure, it is just showing it is incompatible because "eGPUs are not supported".  

My current version:

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

My Dell XPS 9350 shows "External GPUs supported: No" as well. What do you see in Device Manager under Displays?

Have you tried turning "Security Level:" to No Security (SL0)? If not, access the BIOS to make that change and see if it makes a difference.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2020 13" MacBook Pro [10th,4C,G] + RX 5700 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Prototype eGPU Enclosure) + macOS 10.15.4 & Win10 1903 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
theblazingwasab
(@theblazingwasab)

Posted by: itsage

My Dell XPS 9350 shows "External GPUs supported: No" as well. What do you see in Device Manager under Displays?

Have you tried turning "Security Level:" to No Security (SL0)? If not, access the BIOS to make that change and see if it makes a difference.

I will check the BIOS. 

My display adapters only show the iGPU. 

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Excalibur
(@excalibur)
Eminent Member

Do you know if there is a NVM firmware update for your laptop? Yours is awfully outdated.

Current: Thinkpad W540 - i7 4900MQ - 32 GB DDR3L - Quadro K2100M - Akitio Thunder2 - GTX 660 OEM
Retired: Thinkpad W520 - i7 2860QM - 32 GB DDR3L - Quadro 1000M - EXP GDC Beast - GTX 560 Ti - GTX 660 OEM

ReplyQuote
theblazingwasab
(@theblazingwasab)

It is the "latest one" per the Dell website. 

ReplyQuote
weblynx
(@weblynx)

Any success in the past month?

ReplyQuote
BadgerLovetone
(@badgerlovetone)

Any update on this one guys? I have a new XPS 13 2in1 and want to use it for some light gaming (halo wars, Ark) just wondering if it is possible? 

ReplyQuote
theblazingwasab
(@theblazingwasab)

Posted by: BadgerLovetone

Any update on this one guys? I have a new XPS 13 2in1 and want to use it for some light gaming (halo wars, Ark) just wondering if it is possible? 

Never got it to work.  I ended up returning the laptop due to battery drain issues during sleep mode, along with the irritating screen brightness changing. 

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

I've been testing a Dell XPS 9365. It works with both the AKiTiO Node and Mantiz Venus. @theblazingwasab sorry to hear of your bad luck. It has a lot to do with timing. Dell has since released fixes for those issues. Asus also has a firmware update to support more computers.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2020 13" MacBook Pro [10th,4C,G] + RX 5700 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Prototype eGPU Enclosure) + macOS 10.15.4 & Win10 1903 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
ivanviola
(@ivanviola)

How did you get it to run? My NVM is version 9.00, external GPU support: no. Please share with me the magic how to turn the "no" to "yes".

Thank you,

Ivan

ReplyQuote
 of  2