eGPU detected but Windows doesn't recognize GPU (Dell XPS 13 9380 4K i7-8565U + ...

Notifications
Clear all

[Solved] eGPU detected but Windows doesn't recognize GPU (Dell XPS 13 9380 4K i7-8565U + Razer Core X Radeon 56)  

RSS

raditus
(@raditus)

Hi folks, I have scouring the web and especially this forum for troubleshooting my eGPU setup (Dell XPS 13 9380 4K i7-8565U + Razer Core X Radeon 56) which is so frustrating.

In short, this is my configuration now:

• Dell XPS 13 9380 4K i7-8565U
  • Razer Core X with AMD Radeon 56 hooked up in it
  • Windows 10 1909 (build 18363.815)
  • Thunderbolt Control Center app version 1.0.23.0
  • Thunderbolt controller driver version 1.41.613.0
  • Thunderbolt NVM firmware version 44.0 (SL1 security)

So the laptop recognizes the eGPU, but somehow Windows doesn't automatically detect the GPU (and setup the usual VGA compatible device which I can see on the Action Center). I have used HP Spectre 13t before with the automatic detection, so I don't know whether this behavior is correct or not regarding eGPU setup.

I noticed something strange in the Windows 10 settings though (the UWP one, not Control Panel), that there are "Base System Device" and "PCI to PCI Bridge" listed there, along with external drive, bluetooth speakers, and whatnot.

Does anyone went through this issue as well and actually solve this? If so, I really appreciate any help, thank you.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
raditus
(@raditus)

update: now my Dell XPS 13 9380 can flawlessly run the eGPU after following the pci.sys replace method as specified here. it has been a week and i have no problem whatsoever with the eGPU performance, no disconnection issue at all.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote