[Solved] eGPU error 12 fail after update to Windows 10 1903 or newer (OS Build 18362.329 or newer) inc downgrade pci.sys version solution
@andreas_thomaidis, I tried your method, and when I
1) cold plug per your instructions, it refuses to boot into Windows at all; so I tried...
2) hot plug, and Windows completely crashes and the computer attempts to reboot into Mac OS (next time I booted into Windows, it said there had been a kernel panic error and needed to repair system files)
Maybe I need to start over...
Note: I’m getting error 12 in device manager and this could be caused by the newer pci.sys file. How do I find and install the older pci.sys file?
Thanks you so much for your guide. I followed it step by step. Had it on my iPad while I went through it. First time I did not change the PCI.sys file owner correctly, as you stated it worked for about 2 seconds and then went to a black screen.
Rebooted and saw that the file had reverted to original state. Tried again and found I had not correctly associated the file with my username. Now everything works well. I am having the Wifi disconnected but can manually connect if needed. However my Core X Chroma has the Ethernet port which I have connected and that works fine at boot.
Really pleased with the results. Have edited the registry to stop Windows updates. I believe stopping it in services results in it re-enabling after a couple of weeks (which broke my previous working).
No need for any boot loaders, can load with eGPU plugged in. Have not tried a hot plug yet.
Might need to setup again, as I would prefer to use the port on the rightsize of the MacBook (just an OCD thing).
Is there any definitive stance on the performance of specific ports on the 2018 13in TB MacBook Pro?
UPDATED : I have gone and used other port to satisfy my OCD. No negative impact.
with the replacement of the pci.sys file my egpu razer core x 2080 works perfectly even after updating to windows 10 2004.
Many thanks for your guide! I recently purchased an AMD eGPU and got rid of the "error 12" after using your pci.sys file and following your pci.sys replacement steps!
- This works only when booting with eGPU connected. Plug&Play still gives "error 12"
- When booting, the glitching windows logo stays on my macbook screen. However, if I close the macbook lid right after I boot, the screen/iGPU stays off. Haven't tried if the automate-egpu EFI boot will help.
- MacBook Pro 13" 2018 TB, MacOS 10.15.5/Windows10 1909 18363.900
- Razer Core X / Gigabyte Radeon 5700XT Gaming OC
- the eGPU is Plug&Play in MacOS side (sometimes MacOS fails to boot when eGPU connected but next boot usually works)
- when initially installing AMD drivers in Windows, I got an Error/Fail message in the end (probably because of the "error 12"), however the AMD drivers/software work without any problems.
Hopefully future Windows updates get rid of this annoying "error 12" with AMD GPUs. Thanks again for your help!
I just would like to share that the latest "Feature update to Windows 10, version 2004" has caused again problems. My setup stopped to work - however the workaround replacing pci.sys (with 1803 version) did work again.
Moreover, I had to disable again the "PCI Express Root Port" for the integrated Graphics Card.
Can you please confirm if you also needed to create the 'Large Memory' area by using a customised DSDT file and then manually disable PCI resources (as per the method well documented elsewhere)?
Or, does your method mean these steps are no longer required?
@macjj, with similar setup but windows 1903 it works for me all the time without the pci workaround
Mind you I even use the bootcamp on an external drive
A) 2020 MacBook Pro, i7-1068NG7, 32GB RAM, 1TB, EGPU Razer Core X, Nitro+ RX5700 xt 8Gb, Samsung 49 1440p UltraWide C49RG
Mac OS Catalina 10.15.7, Internal Bootcamp Windows 10 2004 pci.sys swap.
B) 2.7 GHz I7 4 Cores, 16Gb, 1TB MBP 13 2018 TB3 , EGPU Razer Core X, Nitro+ RX5700 xt 8Gb, LG 32UK550
Mac OS Catalina 10.15.2, Ext SSD Windows 10 1903 V1 .295
For my setup, if I don’t do the pci.sys replacement I don’t get any video output from the eGPU (screens stay blank, no signal)
Yesterday I updated to the latest official Win (Home) release (ver2004, 19041.329), which also updated the pci.sys file:
- Hotplug gives error 12
- Coldplug gives blank screens
after replacing pci.sys
- Hotplug gives error 12
- Coldplug makes the eGPU work with latest official AMD drivers (just need to close laptop lid right after boot to prevent glitching windows logo)