Egpu on MacBook Pro 2018 easier?  

RSS

Excubitoro
(@excubitoro)
Trusted Member
July 27, 2018 9:26 am  

looking to see how the kernel issue evolves, but thinking about upgrading to MacBook Pro 2018 15”

I currently have a MacBook Pro 2016 15” and have been running an gaming box 1070 in boot camp for quite some time, until the spring update installed and error 12. I couldnt resolve it, so I restored a recent image to get it working again. But the thing is, as you know, Windows will install the update again.

I know the 2017 model has large memory, so I’m guessing the 2018 has this as well. Does large memory makes it a lot easier to run the egpu? I looked at the guide and there seem that isn’t plug and play despite large memory?

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Prominent Member
July 27, 2018 11:05 am  

I have read plenty of folks having a plug and play experience with the 2017s... but then also a few haven't, so god knows. Sorry, I know thats no use. 
My 2017 13 is plug and play with any modern Nvidia egpu and I think you can tell Windows not to DL over tethered connections and then tell it your wifi is tethered... thus getting round updates.

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touchbar + GTX1060@32Gbps-TB3 (AKiTiO Thunder3) + Win10
2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar + GTX1070@32Gbps-TB3 (Sonnet Breakaway Box) + Win10
---
LG 5K Ultrafine flickering issue fix

ReplyQuote
theitsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin
July 27, 2018 1:13 pm  

The 2018 and beyond Macs are going to have stricter security (T2 chip). Unless Apple decides to make improvement for Boot Camp eGPU, the 2018 MacBook Pros are not easier than 2017 ones.

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use

eGPU enclosure buying guide

68 external GPU build guides

ReplyQuote
Excubitoro
(@excubitoro)
Trusted Member
July 27, 2018 1:34 pm  

So, bootcamp and egpu on the macbook pro 2018 is much harder than on the previous models?

It seems security boot can be turned off though:

https://www.computerworld.com/article/3290415/apple-mac/the-macbook-pro-s-t2-chip-boosts-enterprise-security.html

ReplyQuote
Chippy McChipset
(@chippy-mcchipset)
Reputable Member
July 27, 2018 8:54 pm  
Posted by: theitsage

The 2018 and beyond Macs are going to have stricter security (T2 chip). Unless Apple decides to make improvement for Boot Camp eGPU, the 2018 MacBook Pros are not easier than 2017 ones.

Will run standard AMD no-script and global app acceleration scripts, as well as Nvidia Hybrid scripts on both models soon. Will post results in the relevant threads but I think you are correct. I expect AMD to be the same "ease" and NVIDIA to be more challenging with each new rev of hardware, until Apple states definitively that they plan to offer NVIDIA support.

theitsage liked
ReplyQuote
McBanjo
(@mcbanjo)
August 9, 2018 10:40 pm  

It's slightly harder, but easy enough to turn off Secure Boot. I followed the Ultimate MacBook BootCamp guide on egpu.io and I got my 2018 model 13" Touch Bar working through the EFI external USB boot method. Still learning though... Hoping to get it to plug&play levels...

theitsage liked
ReplyQuote
lovejimbo
(@lovejimbo)
August 10, 2018 12:39 pm  

I found it easier than setting up my 2017 3.1 i7.

The 2017 involved a fair chunk of troubleshooting, whereas I just turned off secure boot and SIP and then used Mac Editor's purge wrangler on the 2018 i9 and it worked perfectly with my 1080ti Sonnet 550 set up first try!

ReplyQuote
Gamerguysam
(@gamerguysam)
August 10, 2018 2:10 pm  

Just bought the high end MacBook Pro 2018 15inch ( with the 560x) 

used it with an Aorus GTX1080 

Process took 30 minutes start to finish... 

Boot mac

download windows ISO 

installed bootcamp

reboot finish install 

plug in aorus 

wait for windows to update ( grabs Nvidia drivers ) 

reboot - DONE

i also added the drivers from nvidia as well after the fact but the answer is PLUG AND PLAY now...

I made a video about it that ill post on YouTube when i get it edited tonight but it’s SUPER easy on the 2018... downside... i also picked up a 15 inch Razer blade with nearly same specs for 1800.... 1k cheaper but not a Mac... and upgradable.... this is the hardest decision ever... 

ReplyQuote
theitsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin
August 10, 2018 2:15 pm  

@lovejimbo Your first time success on the 2018 MBP in macOS has more to do with the improvements @goalque and @mac_editor made to the scripts rather than the host computer itself.

There are now proprietary hardware in a Mac to lock things down further. My guess is by mid 2019 all new Macs will come with the Apple T2 or newer chip. Once non-T2 Macs get into the vintage list (typically 7 years old) Apple can make drastic changes to macOS. April 1st, 2026 will mark Apple's 50th anniversary. They are planning a big party 10 years in advance.

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use

eGPU enclosure buying guide

68 external GPU build guides

ReplyQuote
solocamper
(@solocamper)
August 19, 2018 9:08 pm  

Wait wait wait wait. Your saying I don’t have to do anything like getting that weirdo boot loader. No stupid stuff. Just install boot camp and then have the e-GPUs plugged in when I boot? Am I even hearing this right? It’s too good to be true.

ReplyQuote
solocamper
(@solocamper)
August 19, 2018 9:09 pm  

How easy is the 2018 wiTH boot camp and nvidia. I am sure that internal display acceleration is possible with no MacBook Pro?

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Noble Member Moderator
August 19, 2018 9:50 pm  
Posted by: theitsage

There are now proprietary hardware in a Mac to lock things down further. My guess is by mid 2019 all new Macs will come with the Apple T2 or newer chip. Once non-T2 Macs get into the vintage list (typically 7 years old) Apple can make drastic changes to macOS. April 1st, 2026 will mark Apple's 50th anniversary. They are planning a big party 10 years in advance.

I think you're talking macOS 11 here, haha 🤣

In truth, though, Apple already have a prime example of a locked-down optimized system - iOS. While both share the core kernel, iOS doesn't have kexts, for one - which can be the single biggest failing point/vulnerability in macOS. I believe there was recently a developer who has accomplished running privileged code using a kext, by programmatically controlling macOS High Sierra's user interface to "approve" it. So much for UI. Mojave now requires permission to programmatically do the same.

So I think it is more than clear what the direction of macOS is going to be over the next few years in the realm of security (iOS's probably). Even their marketing for the T2 says this somewhat. At least today the T2 allows unverified OSes to boot and use external devices. Who knows how long the former will last. Future eGPU workarounds (really at this point we shouldn't be needing them) if needed then, would have to rely on jailbreaking macOS first.

purge-wrangler.shpurge-nvda.shset-eGPU.sh
----
Troubleshooting eGPUs on macOS
Command Line Swiss Knife
----
Multiple Build Guides

ReplyQuote
solocamper
(@solocamper)
August 19, 2018 9:55 pm  

So super easy. Does boot camp allow for internal display acceleration???  And what’s the wrangler thingy for.

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Noble Member Moderator

ReplyQuote
Spankey
(@spankey)
September 4, 2018 12:36 pm  
Posted by: Gamerguysam

Just bought the high end MacBook Pro 2018 15inch ( with the 560x) 

used it with an Aorus GTX1080 

Process took 30 minutes start to finish... 

Boot mac

download windows ISO 

installed bootcamp

reboot finish install 

plug in aorus 

wait for windows to update ( grabs Nvidia drivers ) 

reboot - DONE

i also added the drivers from nvidia as well after the fact but the answer is PLUG AND PLAY now...

I made a video about it that ill post on YouTube when i get it edited tonight but it’s SUPER easy on the 2018... downside... i also picked up a 15 inch Razer blade with nearly same specs for 1800.... 1k cheaper but not a Mac... and upgradable.... this is the hardest decision ever... 

I've found that my 15" 2017 MBP is now pretty much plug and play as well. I'm not sure if there was a Windows update that fixed this but I'm using a Mantiz Venus with RX Vega 56. I also installed the latest drivers from Bootcampdrivers.com. Now I just plug in my egpu into the left TB3 port, boot up and I go right to the login screen. Its really pretty great now!

ReplyQuote