error 12 - 2019 15" MBP + Razer Core X + RX 5700 XT

error 12 - 2019 15" MBP + Razer Core X + RX 5700 XT  

of  2
  RSS

precision01
(@precision01)
Trusted Member

Hello, @itsage

I bought a Razer Core X and an AMD Radeon 5700 XT, and I'm trying to make it work on macbook PRO 15" 2019.
Even by disabling both PCI express x8 1905 and x16 1901, I still get error 12. Do you have a clue about what I have to do?

Everything was so plug and play with Aorus Gaming Box...

Razer Core X + AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT - Macbook Pro 15" Mid 2019 Radeon 560X

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Noble Member Moderator

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
precision01
(@precision01)
Trusted Member

Posted by: @itsage

@graphicsnonwizard That will be a nice build. While the Radeon drivers aren't well optimized for eGPU use in internal display mode, external monitor mode should be good. There's some loss through the Thunderbolt 3 interface but I think you will get nice results with your 144Hz monitor at 1440p. Let us know how it works for you.

@precision01 Like what @Mac_editor said, check your Windows 10 OS Build version to make sure it's not 18362.329 & 18362.356. We found them to be causing error 12 for most Mac running Boot Camp. Don't disable PCIe Controller x16 1901 in your system. It will make the internal display sluggish.

Hello, @mac_editor and @itsage , tks for reply and help.

Since this is a now laptop, I've downloaded Windows 10 ISO from Microsoft website last weekend. And the version was exactly that: 18362.356. So, I'm gonna find a way to download another Windows 10 version and do a clean install. Do you have any idea where?

And about Navi MacOS support, have you heard anything about it yet? Can we expect that to even happen someday? I think so, because AMD has supported every new card on mac, even with some delay.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

@precision01 The Windows 10 1903 V1 ISO comes with OS Build 18362.30. There must have been a Security Update done automatically by Windows. Look into your Update History and uninstall the latest update. I did a clean install of Win10 1903 on Sunday and that was exactly what took place on my 2016 15″ MacBook Pro.

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use

eGPU enclosure buying guide

ReplyQuote
precision01
(@precision01)
Trusted Member

Posted by: @itsage

@precision01 The Windows 10 1903 V1 ISO comes with OS Build 18362.30. There must have been a Security Update done automatically by Windows. Look into your Update History and uninstall the latest update. I did a clean install of Win10 1903 on Sunday and that was exactly what took place on my 2016 15" MacBook Pro.

@itsage Good, that's exactly my scenario. I shoud have been wiser before asking, sorry! Uninstalling it now. 
*I've been using Macs since 2010 and my knowledge of Windows has been partially lost.

When I get home, at night, let's see if Windows 10 build 18362.30 solves my issues with Razer Core X + Radeon 5700 XT or if I'm gonna need to look for 18362.329.

thanks again

This post was modified 1 month ago

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Noble Member Moderator

@precision01

The old .30 build may cause slow performance in games on Navi. Once you’re set, consider upgrading to .295 (last working version at this time) manually: https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=KB4512508

purge-wrangler.shpurge-nvda.shset-eGPU.shautomate-eGPU EFI Installer
2018 MacBook Pro 15" RP560X + RX 5700 XT (Mantiz Venus)

ttamnogard and itsage liked
ReplyQuote
precision01
(@precision01)
Trusted Member

Posted by: @mac_editor

@precision01

The old .30 build may cause slow performance in games on Navi. Once you’re set, consider upgrading to .295 (last working version at this time) manually: https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=KB4512508

@mac_editor

Tks, very important to know, since I'm looking for best performance in games using external display connected to the eGPU.

So, even if I have Windows 10 build 18362.30 (the one I downloaded this week from microsoft website), I can downgrade to .295? Or is .295 a newer version? Sorry for being an amateur here

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Noble Member Moderator

@precision01

295 is a much later version than 30 - in software, typically decimal numbers work differently. For example, 6.5 is less than 6.15 (six point fifteen, not one-five).

ReplyQuote
Ningauble77
(@ningauble77)
Estimable Member

Has anyone dared to try switching to an Insider build to see if future versions behave better than the current track?

Also, I updated my desktop setup to 1903 and the latest updates do not prevent the Radeon VII from initializing when connected via TB3.

2018 13 Macbook Pro + Core v2 + Radeon VII Win10 1903/MacOS 10.14.6
ASUS X99 Deluxe+Core v2 + Radeon VII Win10 1809

ReplyQuote
graphicsnonwizard
(@graphicsnonwizard)

@mac_editor

I am a bit of a noob to... I am about to download my ISO file, do I need the May 2019 update or the October 2018 update version when installing? And anything else I need to worry about as far as plugging in and playing goes in Windows besides installing drivers?

-2018 Macbook Pro 13" i5, 8gb, 512gb
-Mantis Venus Enclosure
-Sapphire Radeon 5700XT (dual fan model)
-Dell (S2719DGF) external display monitor

ReplyQuote
precision01
(@precision01)
Trusted Member

Posted by: @mac_editor

@precision01

295 is a much later version than 30 - in software, typically decimal numbers work differently. For example, 6.5 is less than 6.15 (six point fifteen, not one-five).

Very good to know. thanks

ReplyQuote
ttamnogard
(@ttamnogard)
Eminent Member

@graphicsnonwizard

the thing you will need to be careful is KB4515384... I believe there is .329 and .356 of this KB item... both should be avoided.

2019 MBP 9th i9 8C and a Vega Pro 20 running eGPU Razer Core X with Radeon vii
2018 Mac mini running Radeon vii

ReplyQuote
precision01
(@precision01)
Trusted Member

@mac_editor @itsage 

I've just installed Windows 10 1903 build 18362.295 and the Razer Core X + Radeon 5700XT works 🙂 

Although working now, I had to disable pci express x16 first, for the error 12 to disappear. And with that, Radeon Pro discreet GPU is also disabled.

The solution that interests me the most is the one mentioned by @itsage , about the hot plugging to have both dGPU and eGPU. What is the trick?

Posted by: @graphicsnonwizard

@ttamnogard

@mac_editor

Do either of you guys have a link to the correct build I am to download to get the best performance out of an external display? I am afraid I am going to grab the wrong build. 

And if I should avoid KB4515384, .329 & .356 what should I get? And What are those numbers referencing?

Thanks!

As itsage and mac_editor explained, just download oficial Windows 10 iso from Microsoft website, install it via bootcamp, disable Windows 10 automatic updates, download Windows 10 build from this link: https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=KB4512508

And finally install amd driver from bootcampdrivers.

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

@precision01 That’s great to hear! Hot-plug works really well for my 2019 13″ MacBook Pro but I don’t have a 2018 or 2019 15″ MacBook Pro. Maybe @Mac_editor can share with you his boot up procedure.

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use

eGPU enclosure buying guide

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Noble Member Moderator

@precision01

For my Vega 64 eGPU, I’m not doing anything special. I never had to disable any GPU to resolve error 12. Maybe Catalina firmware makes a difference. You can check out one of my builds (click the builds number below my username on the left).

ReplyQuote
ttamnogard
(@ttamnogard)
Eminent Member

@precision01

i have the 2019 MBP with the vega 20 dGPU and the Rad vii for the eGPU (I have a sapphire nitro+ vega 64 too). The thing to keep in mind (and way to check your current version) is by typing winver in the command bar (or the search of win10). You want to see version 295, not version 329 or 356 (the numbers after the . )

sorry I’m not more helpful on that one. Have a big job coming up so my macbook pro is back to all OS X...my mini doesn’t have any of the problems though I was able to score a 2080 Super so I am going to do a side by side of the vii and the nvidia offering...

2019 MBP 9th i9 8C and a Vega Pro 20 running eGPU Razer Core X with Radeon vii
2018 Mac mini running Radeon vii

ReplyQuote
precision01
(@precision01)
Trusted Member

Posted by: @ttamnogard

@precision01

i have the 2019 MBP with the vega 20 dGPU and the Rad vii for the eGPU (I have a sapphire nitro+ vega 64 too). The thing to keep in mind (and way to check your current version) is by typing winver in the command bar (or the search of win10). You want to see version 295, not version 329 or 356 (the numbers after the . )

sorry I’m not more helpful on that one. Have a big job coming up so my macbook pro is back to all OS X...my mini doesn’t have any of the problems though I was able to score a 2080 Super so I am going to do a side by side of the vii and the nvidia offering...

Sure, I have version .295 and now it is working very well.

I also ran Unigine Valley benchmark and my results are pretty much the same as @itsage original post. It is just a tiny bit higher, about 1-2% depending on the run. I t looks like CPU doesn't play a big role in unigine Valley. I'm gonna run Superposition and other benchmarks later and post here for comparision purposes.

ReplyQuote
precision01
(@precision01)
Trusted Member

By the way, @Mac_editor and @itsage did you manage to make and sound card to work? In my setup I have a 4K tv connected to the eGPU through HDMI cable.

I have a problem where AMD Audio drivers throw an error 39.

In fact, this happens both with Macbook Pro 15" internal dGPU (radeon 560x) sound device, and with AMD Radeon 5700 XT from external GPU sound device. It Always shows driver error code 39 on devide management. I can't figure out what do do. Do anyone have na idea?

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Noble Member Moderator

@precision01

Never personally faced that issue. I primarily use DisplayPort, but I don't recall problems with HDMI. Perhaps reinstall drivers.

ReplyQuote
precision01
(@precision01)
Trusted Member

@mac_editor

I'm gonna try that. Do you use drivers from bootcampdrivers.com or found a way to use standard AMD drivers?

ReplyQuote
graphicsnonwizard
(@graphicsnonwizard)

@precision01

@mac_editor
@itsage

This is honestly the most frustrating build I have ever done in a computer... eGPUs configuration is so confusing and difficult to get working. I would not recommend this experience to anyone... perhaps I should have just got a 'plug n play' version. 

I went to bootcampdrivers, installed Adrenalin Sept. Edition (Red Gaming Drivers), installed the correct windows build .295; then start trying to figure out these confusing parent and children in the zip/folder and what I need to extract & where. But the how to is missing a ton of pictures and is incredibly hard to follow. I am running the 'Display Driver Uninstaller' choosing AMD, GPU, etc. and pressing 'Clean & Restart' (in safe mode) then go to the device manager after restart and still seeing my Intel Graphics 655 or w.e and not seeing 'Microsoft Basic Display Adapter.' And that is as far as I get, am I doing something glaringly wrong here?

Sorry for the rant, but it is very frustrating not getting anything to work and how non user friendly this seems.

-2018 Macbook Pro 13" i5, 8gb, 512gb
-Mantis Venus Enclosure
-Sapphire Radeon 5700XT (dual fan model)
-Dell (S2719DGF) external display monitor

ReplyQuote
precision01
(@precision01)
Trusted Member

@mac_editor
@itsage
@graphicsnonwizard

AMD High definition audio bus error code 39 Solved!

How to:

First I tried the new Sept 2019 driver from  bootcampdrivers.com and still there was no sound both from Radeon Pro 560X dGPU and Radeon RX 5700 XT eGPU. Windows device manager was flagging both High definition audio bus with the exclamation mark.

I tried to uninstall AMD audio drivers from device manager and using DDU multiple times, in multiple ways, but it didn't work.

So, after some googling I've found this app: https://www.drivereasy.com and decided to download driver using it. Luckily, it was able to download the driver files (it is the same for both AMD GPUs) and it worked! I don't know where the app download the driver from, but it worked.

So I thank and give credits to them.

This post was modified 4 weeks ago

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
(@gunny)

@precision01 Sorry for being off topic, but I have exactly the same set up as you do, save for the fact that I already had bootcamp working and shoehorned in the drivers, but my windows is a build too late and I cannot revert. I was wondering if you could show me a way to install the last working build of windows, preferably without losing all the data as I cannot seem to find a relevant guide. If you did a clean install, how did you go around the bootcamp drivers being deleted? I tried the manual update ISO, but that did not work when I reverted to 1809 or at 1903 as it is already installed or otherwise "incompatiable". Any advice?

Macbook Pro 15-inch, 2018. Intel i9 2.9 GHz and UHD 630, RX560X, 32 gigs
Razer Core X, XFX AMD RX5700XT (THICC II),

ReplyQuote
precision01
(@precision01)
Trusted Member

Hi,  @gunny

First check which windows version you have by pressing windows key and typing "winver" (or in ms-windows prompt).

The version you need to have installed is build 18362.295

Now, the easiest way:

If you have any other version, go to Settings > Update & Security settings and uninstall any major update after august.

Then, As guys here instructed, you can download build 18362.295 manually from https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=KB4512508

Install it and everything should work.

Now, if you doesn't have a way to remove actual windows 10 version, I would consider reinstalling windows 10 from scratch. Just download it from microsoft website, and after installing it avoid any major upgrades. After that, install the update from the link above.

Since Windows will try to auto update to the newer and eGPU broken version, you should also disable windows update by pressing windows key, typing "services" , going to the end of the services list e clicking on windows update. There you can disable windows update. (note that it must be enabled for you to make any update, even manually).

This post was modified 4 weeks ago

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
Boltoway
(@boltoway)

Great work. Love it.

Just wondering if you have done any benchmarking and stability testing with the 5700 XT and a Windows laptop, in say a Razer Core X

If you have, how is the driver support / stability and external monitor performance when compared to a Vega 64

Thanks!

Dell XPS 13 9380 (i7-8565U, 16GB RAM, 1TB Samung 970 Evo Plus) + Razer Core X + AMD RX VEGA 64 Limited Edition + Acer Nitro 27" VG271UP

ReplyQuote
(@gunny)

@precision01

Sorry for bringing this up after a week. I got the right windows version and it would appear that the drivers are loaded (i got windows to install the drivers by pointing to the modified AMD drivers, the driver installer itself could not detect AMD cards, error 173). But now if i use the gpu switch script windows with the ogpu plugged in, windows boots up too long. If i boot up normally with the ogpu, i get a black screen. If i hot plug the egpu, it just gives me error 12. Any ideas on how to solve this lads? 

ReplyQuote
precision01
(@precision01)
Trusted Member

@gunny

Very odd. Are you sure both your Razer core x and Radeon 5700 XT have no hardware issues? Can you test both interface and GPU on another computer?

ReplyQuote
OliverB
(@oliverb)
Noble Member

Build 295 works very well for me. Since keeping this version, there are no issues. Don't upgrade to those dreadful 3xx Builds.

This post was modified 2 weeks ago

2018 15" MBP & 2015 13" MBP connected to RTX2080Ti GTX1080Ti GTX1080 Vega56 RX580 R9-290 GTX680

ReplyQuote
(@gunny)

@precision01

Unfortunately, not in the near future. I am going to try to hot plug the egpu, delete the drivers (after running DDU a second time it still recognised my and card) and see what happens. 

ReplyQuote
(@gunny)

@precision01

Okay, there was a very strange, and yet pleasant turn of events. I did as I said before, that is I booted into safe mode with the x8 and x16 PCI ports enabled, hot plugged the egpu in and ran the DDU for AMD cards. Then I tried reinstalling the drivers for the 5700XT, but as always I got an error 173, be it official or modified drivers. I tinkered with my Intel drivers, thinking that maybe everything is failing because I did not reinstall them correctly, but hit a brick wall as well. Then in a last ditch effort I once again shoehorned the blue amd modified drivers using windows driver search utility. I rebooted and got an error 43. I rebooted again without enabling the EFI script and it partially worked, that is the card worked perfectly, but for some mysterious reason, the fans are not. All the connections are in place, and the card itself seems to work fine (cannot check properly since i do not want it to overheat) as in it displays to the monitor and the FPS on the desktop is much higher than UHD 630. Are there any other possible solutions to this conundrum? the exact card is an xfx thicc II.

ReplyQuote
(@gunny)

@precision01

Well it seems to work now. The fans turned on once i was half way through a game of CSGO, which complies with XFX saying that their fans only enable after 70C or so. I do not know what happened, but by activating the integrated.bat script and restarting windows a couple of times it went to a windows loading screen without a turning loading sign, but the main monitor turned on. Getting stable 100fps on CSGO, which is a bit underwhelming, but it is on the best resolution and almost does not budge, so im happy especially taking into account the expected bottleneck and the effort, far better than a 560X. Error 12 is not an issue, my egpu is connected on the left in the hope that the bottleneck is less there. So thank you very much for your help, it really meant a lot. One last thing I wanted to ask, was about the audio device on the card. Is it much better than the apple one, and if so, how do I activate it? Also some games say that a newer version of the drivers are required to play, but clearly that is impossible. Do you know how to get around that?

ReplyQuote
precision01
(@precision01)
Trusted Member

@gunny

About solving AMD sound driver issues, check my post above, where I explain how I solved that.

And about your issues, I can suppose it has something to do with your Windows 10 installation . If you have no hardware problems, I bet that a fresh install, following the path discussed here will solve all your issues.

ReplyQuote
(@gunny)

@precision01

Terribly sorry for asking and writing so much far beyond the initial question, but if you could help me with this last conundrum I would be grateful. I decided to play some r6s today with the eGPU. It worked fine and solid even at the highest resolution for several hours (I played intermittently), but when I switched my server to northern europe (not sure the significance of this) and tired to play a game, there was a ping spike, game lagged out (fps showed a nominal number, the surge was sudden) and after half a minute of the game being frozen it resumed but the egpu completely shut off, as in the monitor no longer detected input. Native monitor also did not change. I have heard back in 2014 that amd egpus overheat seriously, is that still the case and if so could that have caused it to shut down automatically?

ReplyQuote
precision01
(@precision01)
Trusted Member

@gunny

There's something very strange happening. Never heard of regional issues affecting the system like that. I also use a regional macOS and Windows 10 version (PT-BR) and never had any issues. I think I can't help you, but I insist in my recommendation of updating your macOS and wiping windows 10 installation. I doubt your RX 5700 XT have any overheating problems. Mine is the standard version, I live in a hot weather country, and never had any temperature issues.

ReplyQuote
(@florian_sturm)

I can't get my 5800xt working in Windows. In mac os 10.15.1 (19B77a) it works without any problems. I tried a few times to get it working, this was my last try:

1. Installed Windows 10 in bootcamp (Win10_1903_V1_German_x64)
  2. Installed mac bootcamp software
  3. Installed windows10.0-kb4512508-x64_1893edc9a11d760be11e49d2500170ceee8026d7.msu to get to version 1903 18362.295
  4. Booted in save mode and removed AMD GPU drivers with ddu latest version
  5. Rebootet into Windows and installed bootcamp drivers (Adrenalin Sept. Version Red Gaming drivers) for Macbook Pro without Vega
  6. Rebootet and installed HD Audio driver as mentioned above. 
  7. Rebootet to check that every is working properly, also hd audio driver
  8. Hot-pluged egpu (Razer Core X + Sapphire Nitro+ 5700xt)
  9. Windows recognized the card as Video Controller and installed driver
  10. Got error 12 and rebootet
  11. Still error 12 so I uninstalled the 5700xt without deleting drivers
  12. Rebootet but same error, also with different ports
  13. Tried to disable 560x dgpu and disabled the 16x pcie controller. Also no success

If I put my RX590 in the same setup, It works without any problem. I am just a bit confusing why Windows does not recognize my 5700xt right after boot. I have to hot plug it every time. In an earlier try I installed an EFI and that solved this issue, but the Code 12 was still there. I also tried to disable various stuff like pcie bridges, webcam and so on, but doesn't helped.

Unbenannt2
Unbenannt
Unbenannt3

I have a 15" Macbook Pro 2018 with intel Core i7 6x2,60Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 500GB SSD, rx560 dGPU and latest Catalina beta installed. Does anybody has an idea what I can do? Attached you will find some screens. Hopeing so much any body can help me solving this very annoying issue 🙁

MacBook Pro 15" 2018 (i7 6x2,60Ghz), 32GB, 500GB, 560X + Razer Core X + Sapphire Nitro+ RX590/Sapphire Nitro+ RX5700XT

ReplyQuote
The_Livy
(@the_livy)
Eminent Member

@florian_sturm the first thing that jumps to my eye is the internal Radeon Pro 560X being active, I don't have any experience with dGPU+eGPU but maybe disabling that (or the controller it's connected to) helps. Also there are a lot of guides detailing to disable some Thunderbolt controllers that are not required for eGPU usage, maybe doing so with some of those may help with your issue.

I also had an RX570 in my AGB for a few weeks which occasionally could come up with error 12 for no obvious reason and then vanish on the next reboot and work again. However I did see some more issues in Windows with the RX570 compared to the two Nvidia cards i had in the enclosure. Some games for instance seemed to always clock out the GPU at 100% usage and still delivering lower frame rates than my Intel Iris Plus 640. Apparently the RX570 didn't like being used with only 4 PCIe lanes to well in my case.
I also never got the RX570 to work without using automate-egpu, booting without it to update the enclosure firmware always resulted in error 12 for me, but using automate-egpu mostly worked (if the enclosure booted up at all). If I remember correctly, I read someone saying you wouldn't need automate-egpu on your MacBook or it doesn't work for you or something similar. It might still be worth a try to see if you, for some weird reason - as it appears to often happen awfully often with Apple eGPU hosts - have a different case.

Besides, read the information in the error description: you have to disable another device using the connection in order to use this one -> change the view of device manager to "by connection" instead of "device type" and you may be able to find what's using up your resources; could be the facetime camera, if I remember correctly.
The easiest way to find the device is to select it in the "devices by type" view and then switching over to "devices by connection" view, it will already be selected and every category, it's to be found in, will be expanded right away.

This post was modified 17 hours ago

2017 13-inch MacBook Pro TB
Aorus Gaming Box (EVGA GTX1060 3G) - silent modded
How to undervolt your GPU

ReplyQuote
 of  2