Error 12: MacBook Air 2020 + Razer Core X + GTX 1060 / RX 5700

Notifications
Clear all

[Solved] Error 12: MacBook Air 2020 + Razer Core X + GTX 1060 / RX 5700  

RSS

t5n
 t5n
(@t5n)

I am desperate and tried it all after running this setup successfully for a while with the MacBook Air 2018 and 2019. Anyway, maybe someone can help.

My Current setup:

• MacBook Air 2020, 16gb RAM, 1,2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7, 256gb storage
  • nvidia GTX 1060 Super and a Radeon RX 5700, both give error 12
  • Razer Core X with directly plugged in 27" 144hz Screen via DisplayPort
  • Boot Camp Version 6.1.0 (6170.100.24) - latest
  • Windows 10 Pro EnglishInternational Version 18362.295 (I tried all other versions I could find in any of the guides, also latest ones but found this to be the most reliable for others)

Long story short, I always end up with error 12 no matter what. In the past I got around this, but this time with the MBA 2020 model it just does not seem to work. For the Radeon RX 5700 this was expected but I get this also for the GTX 1060 now. 

What I have tried

• all Windows versions I could find. Right now I use version 1903 build 18362.295, I think I installed windows 15 times in the last few weeks 😐 
  • Plug in the eGPU with the nvidia GTX 1060 right after the "welcome" screen of windows, this worked fine for the MacBook Air 2018 Model, not for the 2020 Model
  • Plug in the eGPU right after the Windows loading spinner on the black screen started, this worked well for the MacBook Air 2019 Mode, not for the 2020 Model
  • All other ways and timings, including having it plugged in when the laptop starts and plugging it in the boot menu (where you choose if osx or windows)
  • Disabling all kinds of system devices (camera, all kinds of root ports etc).

Something broke it for me completely. Either the boot camp version, windows or the architechture of the new 2020 Model.

Has anyone of you ever got it working for the MBA 2020 on Boot Camp?

On OSX the Radeon 5700 works, but games are mostly not available or poorly optimised and give way too littler performance for this setup.

Update

I made it work for my AMD Card after @ivan_loo pointed me to this guide. I needed to run DDU as explained in the guide

This topic was modified 7 months ago

MacBook Air 2020, 16gb RAM, 1,2 GHz (3,8GHz boost) Quad-Core Intel Core i7, 256gb storage
AMD Radeon RX 5700
Razer Core X Chroma
27" 1440p 144hz Screen via DisplayPort

Previously: MBA 2018, MBA 2019

ReplyQuote
Alexander
(@alexander)

Having identical set up with 5700, I can add a few minor things to your list of what I have tried in addition (maybe you just didn't mention it):

- using different ports (it has two)

- hot/cold plug-in

- DDU + bootcamp drivers for GPU as well as official from AMD

- tried it on 10.15.4 plus one or two minor before that

no luck...

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Ivan Loo
(@ivan_loo)
Eminent Member

@t5n

I've been closely watchin this for quite some time.

There has been success with MBA 2020 for some. Most notably, @andygev35 posted a detailed build guide. See this post and try his steps: Link

For my own case, I have followed his steps and ended up with code 12 still. My own pleas for help are here: Link

Your build and mine share the similiarity that we both have the i7 variant. So it's actually fair to conclude that the i7 variant is not known to work right now. Do let me knowif you manage to get yours working.

@alexander, is your MBA the 2020 i7 variant as well?

This post was modified 7 months ago

Successful Build: MBP 2018 with Razer Core X Chroma + nVidia 2080 Super.
Currently attempting: MBA 2020 Core i7 with Razer Core X Chroma + nVidia 20280 Super (Stuck with Error 12)

ReplyQuote
t5n
 t5n
(@t5n)

@ivan_loo, thank you so much for hinting me to the guide.

Long story short, I got it work. With the Radeon RX 5700. I did not exepct that, I never made it work for AMD.

I started the guide at step 8. (Download the Red Gaming Edition Drivers from  Bootcampdrivers.com  and extract.)

because I already run on Windows version 18362.295 and had tried to install my nvidia 1060, so I already had the bootcamp drivers installed and windows updates disabled.

I think what made it work for me was using DDU to remove nvidea and amd drivers.

I encourage you to retry using the guide you mentioned @ivan_loo.

MacBook Air 2020, 16gb RAM, 1,2 GHz (3,8GHz boost) Quad-Core Intel Core i7, 256gb storage
AMD Radeon RX 5700
Razer Core X Chroma

Alexander liked
ReplyQuote
Alexander
(@alexander)

@ivan_loo, yup - 1.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7

@t5n - that's a great news! Will try it out!

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
t5n
 t5n
(@t5n)

By the way, it is also crucial to have the second PCI Express Root Port and isight camera disabled for the eGPU to work.

Both Thunderbolt port still works though (I have an adapter with microphone and external HDD attached). Anyone knows what does the second root port does?

AMD Radeon RX 5700
Razer Core X Chroma

ReplyQuote