Error Code 12 with new Graphics Card (Razer Blade Stealth + Razer Core X + 5700 ...

Notifications
Clear all

Error Code 12 with new Graphics Card (Razer Blade Stealth + Razer Core X + 5700 XT)  

RSS

John Browning
(@john_browning)

Hello all, I am new to this site so bear with me.

Background: I have ran an EGPU on my laptop for the past 8 months with the current laptop and a MSI GTX 980. Although the card is a beast from when I bought it, (able to run vr games on the EGPU quite well) I have had it for many years as it was presenting signs of failure. I have since bought the RX 5700 XT as my research into EGPU's a while back had made me thinking running an AMD card would be optimal, as I have a Nvidia interal gpu. (Nvidia drivers are not fond of having to switch between different nvidia cards). While that was manageable, I wanted to pursue an amd card partially from never owning one, as well as the boost in performance and price compared to the Nvidia Super cards (2060, 2070 etc)

My issue: Error Code 12 on device manager. It can detect the GPU name but does not run.

I ran DDU to remove all nvidia drivers for both the gtx 980 and MX150 before plugging in the new GPU, then proceeded to install the driver for the amd 5700 xt. I used a couple different drivers from the amd website. I also disabled the mx150 display device in device manager as well to attempt to fix. However the amd driver installation either gives me a error code 206 saying installed but not working, or some other error related to conflictions with other drivers.

Drivers I tried:
1. radeon-software-adrenalin-2020-20.4.2-minimalsetup-200423_web.exe
2. win10-radeon-software-adrenalin-2020-edition-20.4.2-apr23.exe
3. Win10-Radeon-Software-Adrenalin-2020-Edition-20.4.1-Apr2.exe

When I first setup my core x, I did run into typical issues with the drivers. As it took me a bit to navigate the error codes and develop a good routine for playing games, whether on the mx 150, or the gtx 980. However with AMD I am in completely unfamiliar territory. I have read of people needing to downgrade windows updates to prior versions, but all of them seem to refer to macbook users running bootcamp. Is this a route I need to take? If so, is anyone able to redirect me to a thread that might answer some of the questions for my situation? Thank you for anyone that is able to help!

Specs:
Razer Blade Stealth 13.3 Early 2019 Edition
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8565U CPU @ 1.80 GHz 2.00 GHz
MX150 Nvidia Graphics Card
Intel UHD Internal Graphics
Razer Core X Enclosure
Attempted EGPU : Rx 5700 XT Sapphire Nitro Plus SE

Other information that might be helpful:
1. I had removed the default audio driver with the realtek audio driver from the website, as it fixed the speaker crackling noise that causes issues for some people with the razer stealth.
2. I disabled razer synapse from re writing profiles all the time in accordance to this guide:
https://www.reddit.com/r/razer/comments/cd2916/howto_fix_synapse_3_randomly_creating_new_profiles/

Don't know if this is relevant, but rather overprovide information than too little.

This topic was modified 2 months ago

Razer Core X
MSI GeForce GTX 980 4 GB Video Card (Old GPU)
Sapphire Radeon RX 5700 XT 8 GB NITRO+ SE Video Card (New GPU)

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@john_browning, Which Windows 10 OS version number are you running?

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2020 13" MacBook Pro [10th,4C,G] + RTX 2080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
John Browning
(@john_browning)

I managed to fix this issue by the following steps:

1) Running DDU and removing all software.

2) Upgraded windows to the newest windows home insider preview Build 19613.rs_prerelease.200417-1557

3) After that, I went to bootcampdrivers and downloaded Radeon Drivers version 8.2.2 (or something similar) that said best for overclocking. This came at the suggestion of a reddit reply I received. I was told to do a cold boot, and then wiping drivers again for the MX150 as well as any previously failed AMD driver installs,

4) Cold booted the system again and installed the driver I mentioned earlier for the RX 5700 XT.

5) The EGPU was working stable enough, I then proceeded to update the driver to the most recent version (AMD) and the card has still be pretty stable.

6) After this, I shut down the computer, rebooted, and installed the MX150 drivers.

Results:

I am able to run VR, monster hunter world, etc, and the performance is certainly an upgrade from my previous setup.

The "plug n play" aspect that these enclosures are advertised as has been significantly better with an AMD Card. I was lead to this assumption by the issues I had with the previous GPU I ran. It was a card I pulled from my tower when I went to college, as I needed a more lowkey setup. Something about nvidia gefore/drivers doesn't like switching between two different graphics cards on a system, which leads to the common problems most people encounter with having to reinstall drivers when disconnecting the laptop. My thoughts when replacing the card were to get AMD as the different drivers wouldn't be competing for priority to in the internals of the Nvidia software. While I understand this is a primitive understanding of the software, my assumptions held true.

TLDR of the above paragraph:
If I'm plugged into EGPU it disables Nvidia MX150 and uses the RX 5700 XT. If I'm disconnected from the EGPU, the MX150 is on and operates correctly.

Other thoughts:

This is my first AMD Graphics Card, so I am sure there are steps in setting it up that would optimize performance more, but I just don't have the experience and need to spend time learning a bit more. I would also do a benchmark of the performance but would need reference to a guide of the standard way people do it. If you or anyone else has reliable sources for a) Optimizing the performance of the RX 5700 XT, and b) best way to go about benchmarking (hopefully without purchasing anything else), that would be greatly appreciated!

As a side note: I do believe that the AMD card may be causing issues with razer synapse. I am using the Razer GPU switcher app to change between the mx150 and the Been working with the support team to figure it out. Its a complicated issue revolving around peripherals ( the razer chroma stand ) and a razer keyboard and mouse plugged into it. Basically the mouse and keyboard freeze at times when razer synapse is on. So for the meantime I have it turned off when using them, and will try to fix once I get more time for trouble shooting.

If anyone is running into similar issues, reply to the post or send me a message and I'll try and help in anyway I can!

Razer Core X
MSI GeForce GTX 980 4 GB Video Card (Old GPU)
Sapphire Radeon RX 5700 XT 8 GB NITRO+ SE Video Card (New GPU)

ReplyQuote