Setup & Software Discussions
External SSD interfering with Core X (MBP 2018 15", Win10 Bootcamp)

External SSD interfering with Core X (MBP 2018 15", Win10 Bootcamp)  

RSS

soocoo
(@soocoo)

I'm experiencing an issue plugging in other peripherals on my MBP while the eGPU is connected.

From a clean install of Windows 10 via Bootcamp, I hotplugged in my eGPU to install initial drivers. From Nvidia's website I installed the "Geforce Experience" program to install drivers for my GPU. Then, I restarted my computer, making sure to unplug the eGPU before boot. After boot, I hotplugged in the eGPU. Everything worked — games, monitors/peripherals plugged into the eGPU — except things plugged into other TB3 ports.

My MacBook Pro has 4 TB3 USB-C ports, one of which is occupied by the eGPU. After boot, then hotplugging in the eGPU, any attempts to plug in my external SSD in the remaining ports give a BSOD "Video TDR failure." I have attempted the following sequences of actions:

A: 1) Boot into Win10. 2) Hotplug in eGPU. 3) Connect eSSD. = BSOD "Video TDR failure"
B: 1) Boot into Win10. 2) Connect eSSD. 3) Hotplug in eGPU. = eGPU not recognized
C: 1) Boot into Win10 w/ eSSD plugged in. 2) Hotplug in eGPU. = eGPU not recognized

Ample wait time for initialization was given with each step. Is there anything I can do to remedy this issue? My partition is small, so an external SSD is necessary for me to play large game files. In the meantime I've been plugging in my SSD to the USB-C port intended for VR on the GPU. I feel like a driver or two needs to be updated or reinstalled.

Setup: 2018 MacBook Pro 15" + Windows 10 Bootcamp + Razer Core X Chroma + RTX 2080 Ti + Samsung T5 External SSD

This topic was modified 3 months ago

2018 MacBook Pro 15" + macOS 10.14/Windows 10 Bootcamp + Razer Core X Chroma + RTX 2080 Ti + Samsung X5 SSD

ReplyQuote
joevt
(@joevt)
Honorable Member

Are you running Windows 10 1903?

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
DrEGPU
(@dregpu)
Trusted Member

I didn't see it mentioned, so I apologize if I missed that, but make sure the eGPU and the external SSD are plugged into opposite sides of the MBP. There are 2 controllers for 4 ports, meaning you get 40Gbps x2 for 80Gbps total and NOT 160GBps. I'm not sure what kind of external SSD you have but they can easily use up most, if not all the bandwidth supplied by the TB3 port, leaving very little for the eGPU. That's why they should be on separate controllers. If you still encounter problems, then I'm stumped!

MBP 2018 15 inch + 2X Aorus gaming box 1080 in BootCamp and MacOS 10.13.6
2011 13-inch MacBook Pro + Razer Core X@10Gbps-TB1 (Zotac RTX 2080 Ti Amp) + Ubuntu 18.04

ReplyQuote
soocoo
(@soocoo)

@joevt

Windows 10 Version 1903 (OS Build 18362.239).

@DrEGPU

It's a Samsung T5 1TB SSD. I didn't even think about changing the port placement to an opposite side! Will try it and get back to you.

2018 MacBook Pro 15" + macOS 10.14/Windows 10 Bootcamp + Razer Core X Chroma + RTX 2080 Ti + Samsung X5 SSD

ReplyQuote
soocoo
(@soocoo)

I'm experiencing two minor issues as well. Sometimes, loading into Bootcamp renders Bluetooth inoperable. Additionally, opening "GeForce Experience" after hot plugging in the eGPU sometimes reads "Something went wrong. Try rebooting your PC and then launch GeForce Experience. ERROR CODE: 0x0003." Has anyone else encountered these issues?

ReplyQuote
joevt
(@joevt)
Honorable Member

Does the Titan Ridge USB controller (one for each side of the MacBook Pro) exist in Device Manager before you connect the SSD?

What if you connect the SSD before boot?

You can use a program like Driver Genius to find latest drivers for everything.

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
soocoo
(@soocoo)

@DrEGPU

I still am experiencing issues. Regardless of where I plug in the SSD relative to the eGPU, I still get BSOD "Video tdr failure."

@joevt

In Device Manager, before connecting the SSD I see no "Titan Ridge USB controller." Here are screenshots with the eGPU plugged in (no SSD yet).

Capture1

Capture2

I have went into Device Manager and attempted to initiate driver updates for every listed item, and despite some updates I am still experiencing the above issues. If there is a driver out there which could help my computer not freak out at the attempt to plug in a USB device (such as an SSD) while the eGPU is connected, I would be golden.

Connecting the SSD before boot, then connecting the eGPU after boot renders the SSD unrecognizable. I'm hesitant to install third party programs I'm unfamiliar with for driver support.

This post was modified 3 months ago

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Noble Member Moderator

@soocoo If you are using an external monitor over eGPU as main display, boot with both eGPU and SSD plugged in (internal display will be lost). Alternatively, boot with SSD plugged in on one side, and hot plug eGPU on the other side. Same-side hot-plugs usually cause trouble.

This post was modified 3 months ago

purge-wrangler.shpurge-nvda.shset-eGPU.shautomate-eGPU EFI Installer
2018 MacBook Pro 15" RP560X + Vega 64 (Mantiz Venus MZ-02)

ReplyQuote
joevt
(@joevt)
Honorable Member

@soocoo

I see in your screen shot the Nvidia USB controller from the RTX card in your eGPU. Check the Device Manager when only the SSD is connected (without the egpu) to see the difference. 

The Nvidia USB controller is always visible when the eGPU is connected even when no devices are connected. For example, some RTX cards with no USB-C port will still show a USB controller.

The Titan Ridge USB controllers are only visible when a device is connected. Maybe this causes problems. I don't recall reading about anyone else having this problem though.

Did you install Intel Thunderbolt software?

ReplyQuote
soocoo
(@soocoo)

@mac_editor

I am (usually) using an external monitor as my main display. Attempting to boot with both the eGPU and SSD plugged in gives me a black screen on the internal display, as well as not being recognized on the external display. Attempting to boot with the SSD plugged in, then hotplugging in the eGPU makes the SSD become unrecognized, as well as the external display. In both instances I made sure to plug the devices on opposite sides.

@joevt

Here are the screen captures for when only the SSD is connected, as opposed to before when only the eGPU was connected.

Capture3

Capture4

I have not installed any Intel Thunderbolt software, unless it was somehow a factor in the Windows Updates I initialized after my fresh install of Windows 10. To which software are you referring?

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Noble Member Moderator

@soocoo black internal monitor is expected, but I would have expected the external display to work. Best to start clean. I recall not doing much at all: https://egpu.io/forums/builds/2018-MacBook-pro-rp560x-gtx107032gbps-tb3-aorus-gaming-box-macos-10-13-6-windows-10/

purge-wrangler.shpurge-nvda.shset-eGPU.shautomate-eGPU EFI Installer
2018 MacBook Pro 15" RP560X + Vega 64 (Mantiz Venus MZ-02)

ReplyQuote