FPS Drop after 15-20 min of load (Macbook Pro Bootcamp + Razer Core X + GTX 970)

Notifications
Clear all

FPS Drop after 15-20 min of load (Macbook Pro Bootcamp + Razer Core X + GTX 970)  

RSS

Andrew Makarenko
(@andrew_makarenko)

My build

I'm experiencing a huge FPS drop after 15 min of GPU load (either benchmark or real gaming).

So, as soon as I start to play I have a stable 60FPS, but later it drops to unstable 20-30, with some performance spikes until restart. After restart and playing ~15min problem appears again.

GPU temp looks good, fan is in 'auto" mode - 34%, temp ~80C (forced 100% of fan and temp was ~ 60C, performance is not affected)

CPU and GPU load ~50-60%

No CPU thermal throttling.

I've noticed that during these spikes Hardware to Device (H2D) speed drops to 1.xxxx (around 1.5), but when FPS is good - H2D is 2.xxx or more.

What's interesting - I see a constant fluctuation of FPS in Unigine benchmark, it goes from 120FPS to 30FPS and then repeats. Looks like some pattern.

I'm thinking that there might be some thunderbolt controller throttling, but don't know how to debug it.

Am I only the one person who experience such kind of an issue? Any help is much appreciated, thank you!

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Founder Admin

@andrew_makarenko, Are you using an external monitor connected to the eGPU?

LinkedIn | Twitter | Facebook | Youtube | Instagram

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2021 13" ASUS ROG Flow X13 (RTX3050Ti) [R5K,8C,H] + RTX 3080 @ 64Gbps-XG (XG Mobile) + Win10 20H2 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Andrew Makarenko
(@andrew_makarenko)

Posted by: @itsage

@andrew_makarenko, Are you using an external monitor connected to the eGPU?

Yes, I'm using external monitor connected to egpu. I've selected 'show only on 2' (external) in display settings in order to disable internal display.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Founder Admin

@andrew_makarenko, Have you tried leaving the extend mode on and set the external monitor as primary?

2021 13" ASUS ROG Flow X13 (RTX3050Ti) [R5K,8C,H] + RTX 3080 @ 64Gbps-XG (XG Mobile) + Win10 20H2 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Andrew Makarenko
(@andrew_makarenko)

Yes, just tried - the same.

Here is GPU-Z / temp sensors / FPS in game at the moment of downgraded performance:

https://monosnap.com/file/kEDnka739zd5Mytpni9M4J6x2Z2puv

CUDA-Z Performance report screenshot: https://monosnap.com/file/TevdPHr56FSwGddLnWyQdClAUbMQjA

Despite the fact that the game shows 24 FPS, it feels like 10 FPS

This post was modified 5 months ago

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Founder Admin

@andrew_makarenko, Which Thunderbolt 3 cable are you using? That H2D drop is odd. Have you tried with a different port?

ReplyQuote
Andrew Makarenko
(@andrew_makarenko)

@itsage, I’m using top right port (the best from what I heard here on the forum), haven’t tried other yet. Will give it a try.

Cable - looks like original one, but I just asked a seller to confirm (I bought used core x)

ReplyQuote
Andrew Makarenko
(@andrew_makarenko)

Update:

Cable is original, i've tried port on the left side as well - nothing changed 🙁

ReplyQuote
Andrew Makarenko
(@andrew_makarenko)

@, I start to think that there is something wrong with the memory on GPU, because performance drop starts after I start to run through the game level and probably some level loading happens.

Is there a way to test GPU memory?

ReplyQuote