Setup & Software Discussions
Frustrations with a 2018 MacBook Air build + VisionTek Mini eGFX

Frustrations with a 2018 MacBook Air build + VisionTek Mini eGFX  

RSS

Shad0wca7
(@shad0wca7)

After reading the most recent review, the VisionTek Mini eGFX (with Radeon 570 8gb) seemed like an obviously good choice and for MacOS use it has been - it was plug and play and it's glorious. Improving the capabilities of the 2018 MacBook Air significantly and the second Thunderbolt 3 controller definitely helps when storying and playing games from an external USB connected to the back of my 4k monitor!

Windows however has been a little bit of a different story. I spent 1.5 days trying to get Windows To Go working well (and it would be working fine on the internal display but the best I got was Code 12 for the R570). I've now switched to a proper Bootcamp installation on the main hard drive + the automate-eGPU EFI bootloader on external USB.

I can't seem to get past a code 12 or at best a code 43 - if the card is detected at all. I often find that when I boot (using the bootloader with the eGPU plugged in from boot) that the R570 isn't detected until I unplug and replug - then I get a code 12. I've disabled the usual suspects of the Webcam root hub + the controller for the WiFi and still no luck.. I've gone even further and tried to disable the 2nd controller on the VisitioTek Mini eGFX but that doesn't seem to have made any difference. 

I feel a bit frustrated and like I'm starting to run out of ideas. The 2018 MacBook Air seems to be getting a little bit of popularity and it's a natural choice for an eGPU so I imagine more people will be coming in with issues... I'd love for some help / guidance from someone more experienced with this?

This topic was modified 7 months ago

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member

I had a nightmare with error 12 too, and even now booting into Windows isn't a predictable experience (but it does work).
Read through my Vega 56 build in my signature, TLDR - I use EFI boot manager and or rEFInd. Apple_set_os never worked for me.

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar
GTX1060 + AKiTiO Thunder3 + Win10
GTX1070 + Sonnet Breakaway Box + Win10
GTX1070 + Razer Core V1 + Win10
Vega 56 + Razer Core V1 + macOS + Win10
Vega 56 + Mantiz Venus + macOS + W10

---

LG 5K Ultrafine flickering issue fix

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

I recall the 2018 MacBook Air was more challenging when paired with an AMD eGPU in Boot Camp. Read through my build with an RX 580 eGPU and you see I disabled a few PCIe Root Ports to resolve error 12. Give it a try and let us know if you can get it working. Also make sure to disable Security Boot in Recovery mode.

This post was modified 7 months ago

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use | eGPU enclosure buying guide

ReplyQuote