Gigabyte Aorus 2070 gaming box with Asus TUF F15, Lenovo, Yoga...

Notifications
Clear all

Gigabyte Aorus 2070 gaming box with Asus TUF F15, Lenovo, Yoga...  

RSS

nbnguy98
(@nbnguy98)

Hi community!  I've been a lurker and need the community's help. 

My wife was issued a laptop for work, and it has a built in Intel UHD video.  Unfortunately can only do 1080p at 60Hz, so I went and bought her a refurbish Aorus 2070 gaming box.  I've literally spent over 50hrs on trying to get it to work.  Doesn't matter what laptop I use I cannot get Thunderbolt controller to recognize it.  

Here's what's happening.  I plug in the gaming box to the wall outlet, then I plug the thunderbolt cable to the my ASUS TUF F15 laptop.  The PSU fan immediately starts, and continues to run.  The 2070 GPU's fan starts to run for 2-3 rounds, and then stops.  I open the thunderbolt controller app on Windows 10 and it doesn't show anything.  When do the same steps with my wife's Lenovo, there's a windows popup in the lower right hand corner that says the last device I plugged into the USB-C port is not functioning properly.  A few data points:

- GPU works fine.  Works fine in desktop and in a friend's Razer eGPU enclosure.

- tried ATX PSU.  Doesn't make a difference, so I'm thinking PSU isn't the problem.

- Asus laptop: PSU fan starts and keeps on running when thunderbolt is attached, GPU fan starts but then stops.  Thunderbolt doesn't list any connected device.  Works fine w/ Razer eGPU enclosure.

- Lenovo laptop: PSU fan starts and keeps on running when thunderbolt is attached, GPU fan starts but then stops.  Windows indicates USB-C device is defective.  Works fine w/ Razer eGPU enclosure.

Gigabyte's warranty support is what's irking me.  I sent the gaming box back to Gigabyte not once, but twice; each time with Gigabyte holding on to the box for more than a month's time!  Both times, they sent back the same exact problematic box saying there's nothing wrong with it and when they connected the gaming box to their laptops it works fine (with "3 engineers witnessing"!!  I asked for comprehensive test results and that's when they start down the line of "ugh ugh, we don't give that out").  To add insult, the last time when the box was sent back, Gigabyte tried to pull a quick one, and included a piece of paper that had repair or replaced checkboxes, with the replaced checkbox checked, and the the gaming box in a brand new anti-static bag that had a new seal.  However, the serial number was the exact same one, and the cosmetic artifacts indicating that it was the same one I sent out for repairs. Now Gigabyte wants me to send both the gaming box and my laptop so they can try to replicate the issue, and supposedly this will help them know what to fix. 

Any thoughts on what could be the problem, and whether I can fix it myself without having to deal with these frauds who go by the name of Gigabyte?  At the end of the day I feel like I should just cut my losses and keep the 2070 and use it w/ the Razer enclosure, but the tech inside me just can't get over this problem and really wants to figure this out!  Thank you all!

This topic was modified 3 weeks ago

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
odin
 odin
(@odin)
Estimable Member

@nbnguy98, This is going to sound stupid, have you tried a different TB cable? Did you test your laptop using the Razer enclosure with the same cable? Seems odd it's failing with two different laptops but yet they say it works fine. Sounds unlikely.

2018 17" LG Gram 17 [8th,4C,U] + RTX 2070 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Sonnet Breakaway 550) + Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
nbnguy98
(@nbnguy98)

@odin, thank you for your reply.  Yes, the Razer works fine with the TB3 cable that came with it as well as the one that came with the Aorus gaming box.  This person is having the EXACT same issue as me, but doesn't seem like it was ever resolved:  https://linustechtips.com/topic/1220205-aorus-rtx-2070-gaming-box-not-turning-on/

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote