Gigabyte RTX 2070 Gaming Box Problems Galore

Notifications
Clear all

Gigabyte RTX 2070 Gaming Box Problems Galore  

RSS

joshjames1234
(@joshjames1234)

Hi everyone,

I’ve been having issues getting my Gigabyte RTX 2070 Gaming Box to be detected on my Samsung Galaxy Book Ion. I have probably spent over 15 hours trying everything, and I’m no closer to success. I hope you can help!

Here are the facts:

1. The RTX 2070 Gaming Box works fine on other laptops nearby (detected and shows up in task manager / system info), including on a Dell G7 and a 2017 MacBook Pro.
    • On my Ion, the most I ever see/hear is just the PSU fan spinning. My Ion says it is “plugged in”, but the battery drains as if it isn’t. The lights on the Gaming Box never come on. So, I use the included wall charger while I try everything.
  2. My Galaxy Book Ion works with other eGPUs. I’ve been using the Sonnet Breakaway Puck RX 560 for 6 months with no issues. Literally plug and play.
    • Relevant specs:
      • Galaxy Book Ion 15”
      • 24 GB RAM (2666 MHz)
      • Intel i7-10510u
      • Windows 10 (Home): 20H2 (really trying to avoid a fresh reinstall of W10, which has extremely limited success anyway according to these forums)
      • Single Thunderbolt 3 port
      • Intel UHD graphics (no NVidia drivers here…downloading their software leads to this):

1. What I’ve tried (in general):
    1. Hot-plugging the device ad nauseum, at every point in the boot process (including when there are spinning dots).
    2. Installing every type (DCH, Legacy, etc) of Intel TB3 driver.
    3. At the Samsung BIOS menu, I see only extremely limited options. I see nothing about enabling an eGPU or disabling TB3 security.
    4. Disabling iGPU (Intel UHD graphics).
    5. Resetting the computer a million times at every point of the uninstall/install/erase process.

Here’s what I see on my end: 

1. Upon plugging in the Gaming Box, I see this popup (yellow exclamation) and Device Manager status (“Billboard Device”):

1. This is what I see when I use the FW updater utility on the Gigabyte firmware:

[/img]" target="true">

1. Updating the TB3 firmware often leads to messages like this. “Prematurely ended”:

1. Only after reverting to older Intel Thunderbolt 3 drivers am I able to even access the Thunderbolt FW updater that is present on the Gigabyte drivers for this device. The problem is, it never shows up as detected, so the most I ever get to see is this:

No matter what I select, there is no BIN file (or otherwise) that allows me to continue beyond the next step.

Thanks for your help on this. Hopefully we can get this thing to work!

- Josh

This topic was modified 9 months ago

My Galaxy Book Ion 15" Specs:
CPU: Intel Core i7-10510u (4 cores, 8 threads @ 2.30 GHz base speed.)
GPU: AMD Radeon RX 560 4 GB eGPU (via Thunderbolt 3, Sonnet Breakaway Puck)
RAM: 24 GB DDR4 RAM @ 2666 MHz (upgraded from stock 8 GB)
Storage: 1.5 TB M.2 SSD (stock 512 GB + Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1 TB)

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Founder Admin

@joshjames1234, My guess is Thunderbolt detection has not been established between the RTX 2070 Gaming Box and the host laptop. It could be as simple as a power reset on the Gaming Box (disconnect the power cable for more than 15 seconds). Make sure your laptop can detect other Thunderbolt devices first then use the same Thunderbolt 3 cable to reconnect the Gaming Box

LinkedIn | Twitter | Facebook | Youtube | Instagram

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2021 13" ASUS ROG Flow X13 (RTX3050Ti) [R5K,8C,H] + RTX 3080 @ 64Gbps-XG (XG Mobile) + Win10 20H2 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
joshjames1234
(@joshjames1234)

@itsage, that was the magic trick! It actually works now! Thank you thank you thank you!

There are now two problems left:

1. I need to unplug and replug the power cable about 10x every time I want to play. The big Gaming Box fan will spin, and then I need to do a full reboot of the laptop (thanks, SSD!) for the RBG lights to turn on and for it to be usable. (I've discovered 15 seconds isn't necessary; even just unplugging for <2 seconds over and over seems to work consistently.)

2. There is no way to update the Gaming Box itself (not the graphics card), since it is not recognized by the software, even though task manager recognizes the RTX 2070.

CUDA-Z tells me H2D bandwidth is 2240 MiB/s, and D2H is 2700 MiB/s. I know one of the firmware updates for the Gaming Box increases the bandwidth. I even tried updating the Gaming Box on my sibling's Dell G7 (which has no connection issues), but the thunderbolt updating software still doesn't work.

Any way to get around these last two issues? If not, you help solved the biggest problem, and at least I can play games now. 

Thanks!!

My Galaxy Book Ion 15" Specs:
CPU: Intel Core i7-10510u (4 cores, 8 threads @ 2.30 GHz base speed.)
GPU: AMD Radeon RX 560 4 GB eGPU (via Thunderbolt 3, Sonnet Breakaway Puck)
RAM: 24 GB DDR4 RAM @ 2666 MHz (upgraded from stock 8 GB)
Storage: 1.5 TB M.2 SSD (stock 512 GB + Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1 TB)

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Founder Admin

@joshjames1234, I think the implementation of the Galaxy Book Ion (particularly the firmware) may have something to do with your issues. Have you checked to see if there's any updates for the laptop's BIOS? Your Gaming Box has a good firmware if you're getting those bandwidth.

LinkedIn | Twitter | Facebook | Youtube | Instagram

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2021 13" ASUS ROG Flow X13 (RTX3050Ti) [R5K,8C,H] + RTX 3080 @ 64Gbps-XG (XG Mobile) + Win10 20H2 [build link]  

ReplyQuote