Gigabyte Brix 4570r NUC + GTX1060@4Gbps-mPCIe2 (EXP GDC 8.4) + vids/bench + Win10 [stulowe]^  

RSS

stulowe
January 9, 2017 7:40 pm  

Hi all,

New to this community and wanted to share my first egpu setup. Video below runs through the setup and some benchmarks/game tests.

Hardware details:

Gigabyte Brix Pro 4570r - i5 4570r CPU, 8GB Ram, 256SSD + 2TB HDD

Zotac mini GTX 1060 6GB connected via mPCIe (PCI 2.0 x1) in GDC Beast v8.4, wiring ran nicely through rear of case

Enclosure is just a quick 3D printed box with slide off panel for easy access to the card.

Benchmarks/Game tests:

Gears of War 4 - 1080p, Pretty solid 60fps at High settings

Street Fighter V - 1080p, Very solid 60fps at Max settings

Rise of the Tomb Raider - 1080p, 45 - 60fps at High settings

Bioshock infinite - 1080p, Very solid 60fps at mix of High and Ultra settings

3D Mark Timespy DX12 - 3435 (compares above the 3362 for their reference GTX 970 VR setup)

3D Mark Firestrike DX11 - 8232 (compares below the 9271 for their reference GTX 970 VR setup)

Overall though I'm super happy with it. The onboard Iris Pro 5200 in the brix is improved upon by about 6 times, which is amazing. It is now our lounge gaming PC and really shows up the difference between this and the Xbox One next to it when flipping between Tomb Raider or Gears of War. I may look to take the Brix apart at some point and see if it can all be fitted into a super small case for the entire setup, that's a later project though.

Any question let me know.

Edited: 1 week  ago

ReplyQuote
theitsage
Estimable Member
January 9, 2017 8:42 pm  

Awesome 3D printed enclosure! Would you mind share that process with us?

I think the mini GTX 1060 is a sweet spot in terms of cost and performance relatively to the bandwidth for eGPU enclosures. Very well done!

ReplyQuote
stulowe
January 9, 2017 8:53 pm  
Posted by: theitsage

I think the mini GTX 1060 is a sweet spot in terms of cost and performance relatively to the bandwidth for eGPU enclosures. Very well done!

I agree about the 1060, I have a 1050ti and it didn't quite cut it at 1080p. 

The enclosure was a stretched and modified version of this box on thingiverse  http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:21593

My modified STL files are attached, sized to fit this zotac mini 1060. These files are without the holes for the cables and the GPU ports, easier to cut these in yourself using tinkercad or just print as is and use a dremel to fit your card. 

theitsage liked
ReplyQuote
theitsage
Estimable Member
January 9, 2017 9:01 pm  

Thank you for sharing the process and modified files!

Your GTX 1060 eGPU build scores very well relatively to what I've tried with the AKiTiO Node and GTX 980 Ti through Thunderbolt 3. I believe the best TimeSpy bench I got was slightly over 4,000.

Welcome aboard and we're looking forward to see more photos of your build in the Custom eGPU Chassis section!

Edited: 1 week  ago

ReplyQuote
survfate
January 10, 2017 1:20 am  
Posted by: stulowe

The enclosure was a stretched and modified version of this box on thingiverse  http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:21593

My modified STL files are attached, sized to fit this zotac mini 1060. These files are without the holes for the cables and the GPU ports, easier to cut these in yourself using tinkercad or just print as is and use a dremel to fit your card. 

Is your 1050ti plug and play without any further setup? No error 43 at all? Because this is the first time I saw someone running the 1050ti on the mPCIe connection without any issues.

ReplyQuote
stulowe
January 10, 2017 1:29 am  

Is your 1050ti plug and play without any further setup? No error 43 at all? Because this is the first time I saw someone running the 1050ti on the mPCIe connection without any issues.

Yes, it was plug and play but I had read about the 1050ti issues before my GDC beast arrived so I installed only Nvidia drivers 357.70 as I'd read they were compatible on another thread. It worked perfectly though with those drivers. The 1050ti only stayed in for a few hours to test before adding the 1060, when I then chose to update the drivers to see if it worked ok. I am not sure if this being a desktop has any bearing on compatibility or conflicts, I can try the 1050ti again though back in it if that's helpful to know with the latest drivers now installed.

ReplyQuote
survfate
January 10, 2017 1:36 am  

Yes, it was plug and play but I had read about the 1050ti issues before my GDC beast arrived so I installed only Nvidia drivers 357.70 as I'd read they were compatible on another thread. It worked perfectly though with those drivers. The 1050ti only stayed in for a few hours to test before adding the 1060, when I then chose to update the drivers to see if it worked ok. I am not sure if this being a desktop has any bearing on compatibility or conflicts, I can try the 1050ti again though back in it if that's helpful to know with the latest drivers now installed.

Wow this is really weird since 375.70 only able to run the 1060 and not 1050/1050ti since they are not supported yet for that release, but some how it work on your setup. Did you install the 375.70 by Nvidia Installer or the Device Manager method? Thanks for answering.

ReplyQuote
stulowe
January 10, 2017 1:49 am  

Installed through the Nvidia installer. This is the thread that I read the original info about 375.7 https://egpu.io/forums/pc-setup/drivers-newer-than-375-63-cause-error-43-on-ec/

I did think that as well that the driver pre-dates the cards release, but it worked fine.

ReplyQuote
survfate
January 10, 2017 10:36 pm  

Installed through the Nvidia installer. This is the thread that I read the original info about 375.7 https://egpu.io/forums/pc-setup/drivers-newer-than-375-63-cause-error-43-on-ec/

I did think that as well that the driver pre-dates the cards release, but it worked fine.

Which model of the 1050ti you have? And which Win 10 build? I'm getting a 1050ti soon so I would like to replicate the exact thing to minimize the chance of having any possible unwanted errors.

Edited: 6 days  ago

ReplyQuote
stulowe
January 10, 2017 10:58 pm  
Posted by: survfate

Which model of the 1050ti you have? And which Win 10 build? I'm getting a 1050ti soon so I would like to replicate the exact thing to minimize the chance of having any possible unwanted errors.

My 1050ti is a Zotac 1050ti mini https://www.zotac.com/us/product/graphics_card/zotac-geforce-gtx-1050-ti-mini

Windows 10 will be Pro version with latest updates installed, not sure the build number at the moment as I'm at work.

ReplyQuote

eGPU

1 User(s) Online Join Server
  • AquaeAtrae

Working

Please Login or Register