[GUIDE] AMD XConnect - safe transition to Windows 10 Spring 2018 Update with Adr...

Notifications
Clear all

[GUIDE] AMD XConnect - safe transition to Windows 10 Spring 2018 Update with Adrenalin 18.5.2 Drivers  

RSS

Sky11
(@sky11)
Reputable Member

Hey boys and girls, AMD has just rolled out new shiny Radeon Adrenalin 18.5.2 drivers, and I decided to write a little guide on how to ensure that your transition to the new Windows 10 Spring 2018 Update is as smooth and safe as it can be 😊

On a serious note, AMD put a lot of effort in polishing 18.5.2 drivers for XConnect functionality on Redstone4. So here is it goes!

Disclaimer: the following guide is meant for regular Win10 laptops. I do not deal with MacBooks or Bootcamp.

Step #1: Run Windows updates to ensure you have all of them. Type ‘Settings” in Cortana search window, then click on “Update & Security”, click on either ‘Check for updates” or “Check online for updates from Microsoft Update

Step #2: Verify that you do have the latest version of OS. Type ‘winver” in Cortana search window. It should say “Version 1803 (OS Build 17134.81)” as of June 1, 2018

Step #3: Download the Graphics drivers.

Step #4: Download and extract the latest version of DDU

• At the time of writing,  DDU V17.0.8.6 is the latest and it does officially support Windows 10 Spring 2018 Update
  • Download link:  https://www.wagnardsoft.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1095
  • After download, I suggest you to extract to a folder with the same version number, something like ‘DDU_17.0.8.6”, so if you need the utility later, you know exactly what version do you have😊

Step #5: Disconnect your laptop from Internet – MANDATORY

• Guys, I said it few times before – please ALWAYS disconnect Internet before doing ANYTHING with Graphics drivers. The moment you try to remove old driver, OS and Windows Update will attempt to download and install the latest version of graphics driver which is available on Windows Update, and you do not want that.

Step #6: Purge the existing graphics drivers!

• Most people either upgraded from previous versions of Windows (2017 Fall update) and either have old Graphics drivers, or whatever Windows Updates pushed to the system
  • Of course, the first wave of “Spring 2018 Update” Graphics drivers from any Graphics Vendor are a bit rough, that’s why you downloaded the latest drivers in the Step #3
  • How to remove the existing Graphics Drivers:  use DDU to remove all traces of AMD, NVIDIA and even Intel.
    • For people who never used DDU before:  https://windowsreport.com/display-driver-uninstaller-windows-10/
    • REMINDER: you must run DDU as Administrator
    • why not to use driver uninstaller? Sure you could, but I find that with the latest version of Windows it is not easy to remove the Graphics Drivers as OS tries to rollback to previous version of driver, or back up copy it created, etc.
    • DDU also removes all the leftovers, so you do start from clean plate
    • Do you need to use ‘Safe Mode” option? Up to you. If your OS installation is relatively fresh, and you had no issues with graphics drivers before, maybe you do not need to use “Boot into Safe Mode”. But sometimes it is really necessary
  • You will need to remove one Graphics driver at a time.
    • First remove dGPU drivers – AMD, NVIDIA
    • Then remove Intel Graphics drivers
  • (reminder: do NOT reconnect to Internet yet!)

Step #7: Install new shiny drivers

• First, please install Intel Graphics driver you downloaded in Step#3
  • Second: install graphics driver for internal dGPU (AMD or NVIDIA) using drivers you downloaded in Step #3
  • After reboot, connect AMD eGPU, and install Adrenalin 18.5.2
    • If your laptop has internal AMD dGPU, then you only need to plug in eGPU, and wait for graphics driver to install silently on external dGPU. It will ask for reboot – and if it does not, please do reboot BEFORE you start using eGPU
  • Reconnect Internet (finally)

Step #8: Enjoy your fresh AMD XConnect setup!

• If your eGPU is connected to TV, you may need to open Radeon Settings and adjust HDMI Scaling to fit the screen
  • The other adjustment I do with my RX580 – I adjust power limit slider to +50% and increase clocks by 3-5%
  • ThinkPad Carbon X1 5th Gen with Kabylake i7-7600u, and RX580 in Sonnet enclosure = smooth FarCry 5 on 1080p TV with high settings  Smile

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

goalque and itsage liked
ReplyQuote