HP Omen Accelerator on MacBook Pro 15' Mid 2012 Non-Retina GT650M  

Minato134
(@minato134)
January 30, 2018 9:19 pm  

My laptop has served me well for the last 5 years but the graphics performance has been dismal which is why I decided it was time to upgrade. I've upgraded my mac with 16GB of RAM and with an SSD. Current RAM prices are what convinced me to go the eGPU route. I'm living in the UK and I purchased the HP Omen Accelerator because it's currently on offer now. It costs 199 GBP. My MacBook has one Thunderbolt 1 port so I've ordered the Apple TB2 to TB3 adapter and a TB2 cable from eBay. I may purchase a GTX 970 from eBay or I may purchase a GTX 1050Ti from Amazon as I haven't decided just yet. I'll keep this thread updated with the progress of my build.

My initial impressions of the Omen Accelerator is that it's too big. If sufficiently modified it could probably fit a mini-ITX build in it (I may be wrong as I've not actually checked if an ITX mobo would fit inside). Other than that I'm impressed with the features HP packed in at this price point. There are 4 USB 3.1 Type-A ports, 1 USB 3.1 Type C port, 1 TB3 Port (To connect to your PC) and one Ethernet port. It can also accommodate a hard drive although I won't be using any of them except the TB3 port as TB1 has a bandwidth of 10Gbps. Another nice touch is the side window. A RBG equipped GPU would not go to waste in this enclosure. However, if I get bored enough and save up some more money, I may try to 3D print a custom case that's significantly smaller and use an SFX PSU.

Edited: 4 months  ago

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Prominent Member Moderator
January 30, 2018 9:30 pm  

What version of macOS do you plan on using with your eGPU? Additionally, are you concerned about eGPU support in Windows?

purge-wrangler.shpurge-nvda.sh

Guides:
Mid-2014 15" MacBook Pro GT750M + RX480@16Gbps-TB2 (AKiTiO Node via TB3->TB2 adapter) + macOS & Win10
Mid-2014 15" MacBook Pro GT750M + GTX980Ti@16Gbps-TB2 (AKiTiO Node via TB3->TB2 adapter) + macOS

ReplyQuote
Minato134
(@minato134)
January 30, 2018 11:49 pm  

I plan to use it with macOS Sierra 10.12.4 and Windows 10. However I'll attempt Windows 10 setup after I set it up on macOS. I'm unsure which version on Windows 10 is best and I've not updated it in months(Please don't bite my head off 🙂 ). As far as I can tell Nvidia eGPUs on High Sierra don't work so I probably won't be updating macOS for a while.

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
January 31, 2018 4:45 am  
Posted by: Minato134

I plan to use it with macOS Sierra 10.12.4 and Windows 10. However I'll attempt Windows 10 setup after I set it up on macOS. I'm unsure which version on Windows 10 is best and I've not updated it in months(Please don't bite my head off 🙂 ). As far as I can tell Nvidia eGPUs on High Sierra don't work so I probably won't be updating macOS for a while.

NVIDIA eGPUs can/do work using the NVDAEGPUSupport workaround on macOS - which can be wacky sometimes, but yes, officially and by default - no dice. In any case, just refer to the many implementation guides on this forum for reference as your Mac is mostly compatible with any setup (unlike the annoying 750m ones).

I would suggest an AMD card as it is least problematic for Macs with built in NVIDIA chips - but given the exorbitant prices and the sad workaround needed to get even official AMD support on High Sierra (a Beta at that for now), I am hard pressed not to. 

Edited: 4 months  ago

Guides:
Mid-2014 15" MacBook Pro GT750M + RX480@16Gbps-TB2 (AKiTiO Node via TB3->TB2 adapter) + macOS & Win10
Mid-2014 15" MacBook Pro GT750M + GTX980Ti@16Gbps-TB2 (AKiTiO Node via TB3->TB2 adapter) + macOS

ReplyQuote
Minato134
(@minato134)
January 31, 2018 8:44 am  

I was just reading the NVDAEGPUSupport thread and was wondering if the log out and log in functionality worked with Nvidia cards. If it does then I'll update to High Sierra so I can use the Omen box without shutting down. I wanted to go for an AMD card but the mining craze has made it cheaper for me to buy a GTX 980 Ti than even a RX470. Also you said that my Mac was compatible with most setups but I was under the impression that my model suffers from error 12 in Windows and needed nando's egpu setup to work. Is this no longer the case?

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
January 31, 2018 3:38 pm  

For NVIDIA cards, yes, you require nando’s setup - point was that it works, though I see what you mean. For High Sierra, best to test on an extra installation before deciding. 

Guides:

ReplyQuote
Minato134
(@minato134)
February 1, 2018 5:05 pm  

Yeah I'll be sure to try it out elsewhere. As for nando's installation, I'm trying to avoid spending more money than I already am. A student budget can be very restrictive 🙁 .

mac_editor liked
ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
February 1, 2018 6:16 pm  
Posted by: Minato134

Yeah I'll be sure to try it out elsewhere. As for nando's installation, I'm trying to avoid spending more money than I already am. A student budget can be very restrictive 🙁 .

I understand - in the same boat myself. I want to test out other cards / enclosures but can’t afford them. 

Guides:

ReplyQuote
Minato134
(@minato134)
February 12, 2018 8:50 pm  

I've gotten my GTX 970 and the Thunderbolt adaptor and cable. The Omen works flawlessly on a TB3 MSI laptop and I've tested the TB2 cable and TB3>TB2 adapter with a TB3 Mac using target disk mode and can confirm that it works. The problem is that my Mac can't detect the GPU no matter what I try. I've tried Goalque's script and rastafari's enabler and they both don't work. In fact the Omen box doesn't fully power up when connected to my mac. It's constantly in "sleep" mode. Can anyone help? I might just return the Omen and build a pc.

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)

ReplyQuote
Minato134
(@minato134)
February 13, 2018 11:56 am  

I'll try it with an external monitor later today and report back. I hope this works

ReplyQuote
Minato134
(@minato134)
February 13, 2018 5:55 pm  

I can't run goalie's script with the -a flag. It says "Application support path not found. Please install automate-eGPU first." and when I run it without the flag I get "Hot-plug the Thunderbolt cable and run the script again."

ReplyQuote
Minato134
(@minato134)
February 14, 2018 1:12 am  

I tried it with another Thunderbolt 1 Mac and couldn't get it to work. I have one more day until my return period is over so it looks more and more like I need to return it.

ReplyQuote