Setup & Software Discussions
[GUIDE] Windows 10 (1803) native eGPU support on Bootcamp MBP + LG UltraFine 27 ...

[GUIDE] Windows 10 (1803) native eGPU support on Bootcamp MBP + LG UltraFine 27 inch output with minimal performance loss  

RSS

Robert Avram
(@robert_avram)

I successfully managed to have my EGPU detected in Windows 10 (Build 1803) and accelerate both my internal display and my LG UltraFine 27 inch Thunderbolt monitor.
This requires NO EFI boot, no dGPU driver installation, and no custom drivers!! It works straight 'out of the box'.

Here is my current setup:

1- Sonnet eGFX Breakway Box 550 W

2- NVidia 1080Ti GTX

3- MacBook Pro Mid 2017 with Touch Bar + Radeon dGPU. I do not have the error 12 problem because PCIe is seen as 'large memory' in bootcamp. If you experience error12 upon natively connecting your egpu please follow these additional steps:
https://egpu.io/forums/pc-setup/2016-macbook-pro-solving-egpu-error-12-in-windows-10/

4- Headless HDMI adapter inserted into the eGPU

5- TB3 cable from eGPU to MBP

6- TB3 cable from MBP to LG UltraFine 27 monitor

Here's how I achieved that:

1)Boot windows normally and login.
2) Hotplug your egpu. You will hear a 'sound' confirming that a new peripheral device was inserted.
3) Download the latest nVidia driver and install it while having the eGPU plugged.
4) Restart your computer and login normally.
5) Make sure the eGPU is plugged.
6) Insert the headless HDMI adapter in the eGPU HDMI output. You will hear another 'sound' confirming a new monitor is detected.
7) Go in display preferences. Identify the monitors. In my image the eGPU headless HDMI monitor is Monitor 1, my internal LCD is Monitor 2, my LG UltraFine is Monitor 3

8) Select the monitor that corresponds to your headless HDMI output and check the "checkbox" at the bottom of "Display Preferences" saying "Make this monitor my primary monitor
9) Duplicate the headless monitor on your internal LCD monitor. You will get only 1 monitor with "1 | 2". Note that these numbers can change depending on the number of monitors you have.

10) Click on 'Advanced Display Settings' and make sure your headless HDMI output is receiving acceleration from your eGPU

11) Go back to "Display settings" and click
"Graphic Performance Preferences". Select your favorite games -> "Options" -> High Performance. This will make sure that the games are accelerated using the eGPU

12) Plug in your LG UltraFine 27 inch. You will get a different image than your mirrored Internal LCD | Headless HDMI; this is normal. You cannot mirror across 3 monitors in windows.
13) Run the game on your internal LCD; Make sure the executable of the game is started on the mirrored screen (internal LCD screen) AND NOT your LG UltraFine.
14) The game will start and hopefully you will see a nice FPS boost. This shows that everything is working fine.
15) Put your MBP in 'CLAMSHELL' mode. This will duplicate the HDMI signal on your LG UltraFine monitor and you will get the same speed as on the internal LCD>

Here are my results:
~8000 score on one of the benchmarks which is in the top 50 systems online with this GPU.

Here is a video showing the system running with ~60-100 FPS on the Unigine Superposition benchmark.

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member

Did you try this without headless adapter? Because W10 has great GPU management built in and I have had no issues powering my LG 5K without a headless adapter (obvs macOS is different).

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar
GTX1060 + AKiTiO Thunder3 + Win10
GTX1070 + Sonnet Breakaway Box + Win10
GTX1070 + Razer Core V1 + Win10
Vega 56 + Razer Core V1 + macOS + Win10
Vega 56 + Mantiz Venus + macOS + W10

---

LG 5K Ultrafine flickering issue fix

ReplyQuote
Robert Avram
(@robert_avram)

@Eightarmedpet:
Without a headless display, my LG 5k is powered on by the Radeon 550 card and has slow FPS, although the nvidia tray app says the app is running on the eGPU.
The headless display + mirroring fixes that.

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member

Thats really odd, I have a 13inch and the 1070 is defo powering my LG 5K without the headless. Guess its because you have a dGPU too...

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar
GTX1060 + AKiTiO Thunder3 + Win10
GTX1070 + Sonnet Breakaway Box + Win10
GTX1070 + Razer Core V1 + Win10
Vega 56 + Razer Core V1 + macOS + Win10
Vega 56 + Mantiz Venus + macOS + W10

---

LG 5K Ultrafine flickering issue fix

ReplyQuote
kevsaenz
(@kevsaenz)

Posted by: Robert Avram

Here's how I achieved that:

1)Boot windows normally and login.
2) Hotplug your egpu. You will hear a 'sound' confirming that a new peripheral device was inserted.
3) Download the latest nVidia driver and install it while having the eGPU plugged.
4) Restart your computer and login normally.
5) Make sure the eGPU is plugged.
6) Insert the headless HDMI adapter in the eGPU HDMI output. You will hear another 'sound' confirming a new monitor is detected.
7) Go in display preferences. Identify the monitors. In my image the eGPU headless HDMI monitor is Monitor 1, my internal LCD is Monitor 2, my LG UltraFine is Monitor 3

8) Select the monitor that corresponds to your headless HDMI output and check the "checkbox" at the bottom of "Display Preferences" saying "Make this monitor my primary monitor
9) Duplicate the headless monitor on your internal LCD monitor. You will get only 1 monitor with "1 | 2". Note that these numbers can change depending on the number of monitors you have.

10) Click on 'Advanced Display Settings' and make sure your headless HDMI output is receiving acceleration from your eGPU

11) Go back to "Display settings" and click
"Graphic Performance Preferences". Select your favorite games -> "Options" -> High Performance. This will make sure that the games are accelerated using the eGPU

12) Plug in your LG UltraFine 27 inch. You will get a different image than your mirrored Internal LCD | Headless HDMI; this is normal. You cannot mirror across 3 monitors in windows.
13) Run the game on your internal LCD; Make sure the executable of the game is started on the mirrored screen (internal LCD screen) AND NOT your LG UltraFine.
14) The game will start and hopefully you will see a nice FPS boost. This shows that everything is working fine.
15) Put your MBP in 'CLAMSHELL' mode. This will duplicate the HDMI signal on your LG UltraFine monitor and you will get the same speed as on the internal LCD>

Here are my results:
~8000 score on one of the benchmarks which is in the top 50 systems online with this GPU.

Here is a video showing the system running with ~60-100 FPS on the Unigine Superposition benchmark.

I followed similar to the above, with success displaying output to both an internal and external screen.
I am currently using 15" MacBook Pro 2018 with touchbar, I found every time I applied the efi file I would get white dots all over my screen at boot up, and the system locks up. The current problem I have found when the graphics card is active the gigabyte Aorus GTX1080 TI fans stop spinning, high tempretures do not force the fans to kick in. Robert do you experience this issue?
I would like some help resolving the fan issue.
I am using
MacBook Pro 15" 2018 model (32Gb of RAM, 6core  2.9Ghz CPU)
Sonnet Breakout 550
Gigabyte Aorus GTX1080 TI
Windows 10 (Build 1803)
When playing world of warcraft I am achieving 100FPS at setting 10. I would really like to get my Fans running

Macbook Pro Late 2015 OSX 10.13.6 | Akitio Node | GTX 1080ti | OSX & Win10
Macbook Pro 2016 OSX 10.13.6 | Sonnet Breakaway 550 | GTX 1080ti
Macbook Pro 2018 OSX 10.13.6 | Sonnet Breakaway 550 | GTX 1080ti | OSX & Win10

ReplyQuote