H2D-Issue with Sonnet Breakaway Box 350 or just underperforming?

Notifications
Clear all

[Solved] H2D-Issue with Sonnet Breakaway Box 350 or just underperforming?  

of  2
  RSS

marcjoe
(@marcjoe)

Hi Community,

I have my system up and running for quite some time now (2 months+) and overall I am pretty satisfied with the performance boost I am gaining. Out of curiosity I checked the performance of my Sonnet Breakaway Box 350 and found that in Cuda-Z it only shows 1400 MiB/S. I don´t really know much about that stuff, but from what I gathered this is only slightly more than Thunderbolt 2 Performance? I also understand from reading the relevant topics, that this is probably not a H2D Issue, but what else can that be? Is it possible that this problem has to do with bootcamp and apple´s thunderbolt drivers? Is there anything to do about this (e.g. a way to update the thunderbolt drivers)?

My System:

Macbook Pro 13" 2016 Touchbar, 8GB RAM, 256 GB SSD

Bootcamp Windows 10

Sonnet Breakaway Box 350, GTX970 G1 Gaming

Thanks for any help and all the help I already got!

Marcus

2016 13" MacBook Pro [6th,2C,U] + GTX 970 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Sonnet Breakaway 350) + macOS 10.12 & Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin

Pls check against https://egpu.io/external-gpu-implementations-table/#perf :

32Gbps-TB3: to achieve ~2254MiB/s H2D (Nvidia) or ~2550MB/s (AMD) requires the correct TB3 enclosure firmware, a 40Gbps TB3 cableNO additional active TB3 enclosure ports and a x4 3.0 host  PCIe port (not x4 2.0).  U-CPU systems must be in GT4 OPI mode. FYI: Intel throttles 32Gbps-TB3 to 22Gbps which benchmarks as 20.40Gbps (AMD) or 18.91Gbps (Nvidia) in the important H2D direction.

Also, use a 13" MBP left-sided x4 3.0 TB3 port. The right side TB3 ports present on the 4-port model connect at the slower x2 3.0 (16Gbps) link speed.

eGPU Setup 1.35    •    eGPU Port Bandwidth Reference Table

2015 15" Dell Precision 7510 (Q M1000M) [6th,4C,H] + GTX 1080 Ti @32Gbps-M2 (ADT-Link R43SG) + Win10 1803 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
marcjoe
(@marcjoe)

Hey Nando

checking against those points

• Sonnet doesn´t offer any firmware upgrades right now on their website and is (so I think at least) currently not affected by the issue in general
  • I have a Thunderbolt 3 cable that offers the 22GB/s throughput (that´s at least how their advertise on their website,), it is also marked with a "3".
  • The Sonnet doesn´t have any additional TB3 Ports
  • I use the left TB3 Port closest to the Display
  • I am really not sure how to check if my Bootcamp Installation has GT4 OPI Mode. I found the following statement on everymac.com concerning my Macbook Pro Model:

System Bus Speed:
    4 GT/s (OPI)*
    Cache Bus Speed:
    2.9 GHz (Built-in)
    Details:
    *This system has an OPI -- "On Package Interface" to connect the processor and chipset. Intel reports that it runs at 4 GT/s.

It doesn´t say though if this also applies to bootcamp or the mac platform in general

Is there any way to check further into this OPI Mode on my bootcamp installation?

2016 13" MacBook Pro [6th,2C,U] + GTX 970 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Sonnet Breakaway 350) + macOS 10.12 & Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

Please post a screen capture of CUDA-Z Performance tab in macOS. I know the 2016 13" Touch Bar MacBook Pro has x4 PCIe lanes and runs in GT4 OPI mode. You can run a disk benchmark (Blackmagic or AJA System Test in macOS) to confirm. If the Read or Write exceeds 1,7XX MB/s it's GT4.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2020 13" MacBook Pro [10th,4C,G] + RX 5700 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Prototype eGPU Enclosure) + macOS 10.15.4 & Win10 1903 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Sky11
(@sky11)
Reputable Member

Sonnet enclosures from the very beginning had full performance. I do not think they ever shipped any boxes with less throughput.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
marcjoe
(@marcjoe)

Posted by: itsage

Please post a screen capture of CUDA-Z Performance tab in macOS. I know the 2016 13" Touch Bar MacBook Pro has x4 PCIe lanes and runs in GT4 OPI mode. You can run a disk benchmark (Blackmagic or AJA System Test in macOS) to confirm. If the Read or Write exceeds 1,7XX MB/s it's GT4.

I was only able to test cuda-Z Performance in Bootcamp, in MacOS I don´t have the cuda drivers. Can I download those also from the nvidia-Website?

I will try to run the disk benchmarks and get back with you.

At Home I will also try to run the cuda-z performance with the original Sonnet Cable, although I don´t think that it is the cable, since the Device-to-Host-Speed is at above 2200 MiB/s.

Is it possible that under MacOS Apple uses GT4 OPI and under Bootcamp GT2? 

Posted by: Sky11

Sonnet enclosures from the very beginning had full performance. I do not think they ever shipped any boxes with less throughput.

I also thoughts so.

ReplyQuote
marcjoe
(@marcjoe)

Ok, I got some speed data now under MacOS and Bootcamp Win10:

speedtest bootcamp marcjoe
DiskSpeedTest marcjoe

The read speed certainly exceeds 1,7XX MB/s in both operating systems, write doesn´t. So is this GT4 OPI?

ReplyQuote
marcjoe
(@marcjoe)

Ok, I now downloaded the cuda drivers in MacOS and ran cuda-z there, and the results are pretty similar to those in bootcamp 🙁

So I really don´t know if I am understanding sth. wrong and everything is alright or something else is going on....but what?

Below are screenshots of the Data under bootcamp/win10 and MacOS Sierra.

cuda z bootcamp marcjoe
cuda z textMacOS marcjoe

Maybe you have some more insights on this.

ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin

@marcjoe, the Apple firmware is throttling the TB3 link when it detects a Nvidia eGPU attached. So instead please try hotplugging your eGPU rather than booting via apple_set_os.efi then re-do CUDA-Z benchmarks:

https://egpu.io/forums/mac-setup/mbp-tb3-port-underperformance-16xxmibs-instead-of-22xxmibs-under-macos-or-windowsapple_set_os-efi/

eGPU Setup 1.35    •    eGPU Port Bandwidth Reference Table

2015 15" Dell Precision 7510 (Q M1000M) [6th,4C,H] + GTX 1080 Ti @32Gbps-M2 (ADT-Link R43SG) + Win10 1803 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
marcjoe
(@marcjoe)

Thanks Nando,

at least I now know whats the problem. The thing is that in the past I somehow never managed to hotplug the card and not crash the system. It seems i never really fully understood what the perfect time is to plug it in - although I‘ve read it several times in the forum. So I resolved to the apple_set_os.efi since that works every single time for me. 

But I will definitely give it another try today, if you have any tips when to plug it in exactly, I‘d be happy. 

Thanks a lot so far!

ReplyQuote
 of  2