Help! eGPU Sonnet Breakaway Box 350 (MSI Radeon RX 480 8GB) connected to a 2018 ...

Notifications
Clear all

Help! eGPU Sonnet Breakaway Box 350 (MSI Radeon RX 480 8GB) connected to a 2018 Mac mini freezes when doing editing and gaming in windows 10!  

RSS

Lothar
(@lothar)

Hi guys. Appreciate your help on the matter.

My system was doing fine with the eGPU on for the last seven months (2018 Mac mini running latest version of macOS Catalina and latest version of bootcamp with Windows 10). Then I had the brilliant idea of installing the public beta of Big Sur -in a different container- as i was told it wouldn't mess with my main Catalina and bootcamp systems. Well, turns out that all went well with the installation process, Big Sur runs fine, Catalina also, and then I turn to bootcamp. I launch Starcraft II and the game freezes after 5 min or so. It throws various errors, but the most common BSOD is "memory management". I tried gaming in macOS (particularly Starcraft II) and even though it crashed at the beginning, now it is stable after performing some recommendations from Apple support -mainly disconnecting my Mac for 15 seconds and then plugging it again-.

Iam desperate, I do a lot of gaming, and Windows 10 as you may expect gives the best performance. macOS in that side of things is way behind.

What should I do? I think Big Sur updated the firmware in my machine because now I get the classic Mac chime, even though I erased everything and started from scratch installing Catalina to the last version and also Windows 10. 

Please give me some pointers, suggestions, recommendations, anything!

Could it be this supposed firmware update? if so, installing future public beta updates of Big Sur in my system patch everything up?

Thanks in advance.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Mini i5
(@mini-i5)
Honorable Member

@lothar

Yes, Mac OS software includes firmware updates as well. 

You can try running the DDU utility in Windows to remove the old driver for your card, and then reinstall the latest version.

2018 Mac Mini i5 / 6-core 3.0-4.1 Ghz / 32GB / 256GB / Intel UHD 630 / PowerColor Gaming Station / PowerColor dual-fan RX 5700 XT / Mac OS 10.15.6 Catalina / Windows 2004 😏 / Dual LG 27" 4K displays

ReplyQuote
Lothar
(@lothar)

Thanks Mini i5 for your reply.

Can I ask if its safe to run DDU? Is there a chance of bricking my Mac mini by doing so? If get stuck in safe mode, can I start my Mac with the option key and select macOS?

Thanks!

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Lothar
(@lothar)

@mini-i5,  I forgot to ask. Do you think me installing the public beta of Big Sur has anything to do with the freezes while gaming in Windows 10? If so, should I use DDU with my eGPU on or off? 

Thanks!

ReplyQuote
Mini i5
(@mini-i5)
Honorable Member

@lothar

Your eGPU should not be plugged into the Mini.

Your display should be plugged into the Mini’s hdmi port.

Then you can run DDU

2018 Mac Mini i5 / 6-core 3.0-4.1 Ghz / 32GB / 256GB / Intel UHD 630 / PowerColor Gaming Station / PowerColor dual-fan RX 5700 XT / Mac OS 10.15.6 Catalina / Windows 2004 😏 / Dual LG 27" 4K displays

ReplyQuote