Help! Error 173 - AMD graphics hardware was not found

Notifications
Clear all

[Solved] Help! Error 173 - AMD graphics hardware was not found  

of  2
  RSS

Interestingdood
(@interestingdood)

Im using a Vega 56 graphic card with a mid-2014 13" macbook pro. I cannot seem to download the AMD drivers. I keep getting "Error 173 - AMD Installer cannot continue since AMD graphics hardware was not found." I have tried using both downloads from the original website and bootcampdrivers.com but continue to get the same error. Please help!

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member Moderator

I had issues with detection due to using a ti82 based eGPU (core V1) so I’m guessing it might be a similar situation, but to be honest I’m just guessing. 

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar
GTX1060 + AKiTiO Thunder3 + Win10
GTX1070 + Sonnet Breakaway Box + Win10
GTX1070 + Razer Core V1 + Win10
Vega 56 + Razer Core V1 + macOS + Win10
Vega 56 + Mantiz Venus + macOS + W10

---

LG 5K Ultrafine flickering issue fix

2017 13" MacBook Pro [7th,2C,U] + RX 5700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS 10.15.4 & Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Interestingdood
(@interestingdood)

@eightarmedpet

A huge THANK YOU to you! Although I already downloaded the purge-wrangler, it led me to another forum that fixed it as I was browsing around! Just had to find the right topic!  

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member Moderator

Awesome you got it working! You don’t need to run purge wrangler per os so not sure what happened to solve your issue? It was a bit of a stab in the dark to be honest but thought I’d at least try. What actually solved it in the end? What was the topic/forum?

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar
GTX1060 + AKiTiO Thunder3 + Win10
GTX1070 + Sonnet Breakaway Box + Win10
GTX1070 + Razer Core V1 + Win10
Vega 56 + Razer Core V1 + macOS + Win10
Vega 56 + Mantiz Venus + macOS + W10

---

LG 5K Ultrafine flickering issue fix

2017 13" MacBook Pro [7th,2C,U] + RX 5700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS 10.15.4 & Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Interestingdood
(@interestingdood)

@eightarmedpet

Booting it with rEIFind fixed the problem! My computer was able to to detect and install the AMD drivers afterwards. 

One quick question: I have a 2014 MacBook and was wondering if you knew how to turn off the apple light during clamshell mode?

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

purge-wrangler has no relation to this issue and is only for macOS. For eGPU to be detected, you just needed to boot with it plugged in into Windows while using apple_set_os.efi to keep iGPU active. There are many similar builds (iGPU only TB1/2 Macs).

purge-wranglertbt-flashpurge-nvdaset-eGPU
Insights Into macOS Video Editing Performance

Master Threads:
2014 15-inch MacBook Pro 750M
2018 15-inch MacBook Pro

2019 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + RX Vega 64 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS 10.14.6 & Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Luca Hahn
(@luca_hahn)

Hello I have the same message here for Sapphire Pulse radeon RX580 on a razer core x plug into a mac mini 2018 with mojave 1.14.6 and Windows bootcamp 1903. Can you show me the link from where you found your work around for this? 
Thank you. 

Mac Mini 2018 Intel core i5 -8500B CPU @ 3Ghz / Intel graphic 630 UHD/ Razer Core X/ Pulse Sapphire Radeon RX580/ Mac os 1.14.6/ Bootcamp Windows 1903 on internal SSD 500Go

ReplyQuote
Interestingdood
(@interestingdood)

@luca_hahn

https://www.rodsbooks.com/refind/

Using this program fixed it for me. Let me know if it works for you as well!

ReplyQuote
Luca Hahn
(@luca_hahn)

Ok! I certainly will try and let you know.
Thank you very much! (y)

Mac Mini 2018 Intel core i5 -8500B CPU @ 3Ghz / Intel graphic 630 UHD/ Razer Core X/ Pulse Sapphire Radeon RX580/ Mac os 1.14.6/ Bootcamp Windows 1903 on internal SSD 500Go

ReplyQuote
Luca Hahn
(@luca_hahn)

@interestingdood, Hey! So i tried installing rEFInd and i made the mistake of not disabling the apple boot secure first so rEFind was blocked. At this point i Don't know if I have to redo the process from scratch after uninstalling rEFInd because now that I am set correctly rEFInd still doesn't boot at start up. I installed apple_set_efi as suggested @mac_editor and though this one booted succesfully and that followed the steps of this post https://egpu.io/forums/bootcamp/macbook-pro-16-windows-egpu-error-12-fix/

the egpu still isn't detected when running the AMD driver

ReplyQuote
 of  2