Notifications
Clear all

[HELP] GPU usage dropping after water cooling a 2080ti inside a Razer Core X  

RSS

Rycco
(@rycco)
Reputable Member

Hey everyone,

I'm currently running a MBP 2018 15` + 2080ti + Razer Core X.  I recently installed the EVGA Hybrid Kit on the GPU, and I had to remove the big fan that came with the Razer Core X to put the radiator there. The temps that my GPU reports are great, around 50-60 Celsius degrees, but the GPU usage % starts decreasing from 90% to around 40% after 15 minutes of gaming and I start to get some FPS drops (from 300-280 to 160-140 fps). I was afraid about removing the stock fan, could that be the reason? Is the Razer components not getting cooled enough? What else could be?

Thanks for the help,

2017 15" MacBook Pro (RP555) [7th,4C,H] + GTX 1080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS 10.12.6 & Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
ishikawa_goemon
(@ishikawa_goemon)
Trusted Member

Hello, I have experience with a similar setup that uses an RTX 2080ti FE with the Hybrid Kit from eVGA. Congrats on finding one. Those were sold out for quite a long time!

Your temps and setup is very similar to what I observed (minus the throttling part). My tip is to help you narrow down the performance limit reasons. Have you tried installing HWINFO64? You can leave this running and use your eGPU setup as before. When you note the 90% -> 40% drop, you can go to the HWINFO log and see what limit has been tripped. This isn't very elegant but could show thermal throttling.

If that's the case, you can reinspect your install for any issues. Something to consider may be to replace the stock thermal compound on the pump with a higher-performance aftermarket compound (e.g. Kryonaut). The install instructions were not very clear and I had to repeat steps multiple times.

Finally, to rule out that your pump isn't faulty, this particular generation has an audible whine when the pump is running (many users note it sounding like small fridge's compressor pump). Are you able to here this to confirm that the pump is running? Also, where you mounted the radiator, what side of the radiator do the tubes enter? (I have mine installed as per the eVGA recommendation with the tubes coming in at the bottom of the radiator).

Please follow up with what you find as you continue attacking the problem.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote