Setup & Software Discussions
[HELP] 2012 Mac mini + Razer Core X + RX 580 + Windows 10 Boot Camp Setup

[HELP] 2012 Mac mini + Razer Core X + RX 580 + Windows 10 Boot Camp Setup  

RSS

zooli
(@zooli)
Eminent Member

I looked through the how-to and the build guides, but found contradicting information, so I'd like to clarify the best way of enabling eGPU for this setup.
Some say rEFIt and automate-eGPU EFI are needed, some they aren't, but I'd definitely like to avoid using them if possible.

• Mac mini 2012 i7 2.6Ghz
  • 500GB SSD, 16GB RAM
  • MacOS 10.14.6
  • Windows 10 LTSC 1809
  • Razer Core X
  • Sapphire RX 580 Nitro+ SE
  • SIP disabled

I have a clean Windows 10 install via Boot Camp (I think with the eGPU plugged in), what I did so far:

- installed Intel iGPU ulility and the latest drivers
- removed dGPU drivers with DDU (since then I read that's not necessary for the Mini)

Do I need the AMD drivers or https://www.bootcampdrivers.com?

If someone could shed light to the best and simplest way of enabling eGPU support under Windows 10, I'd be glad!

UPDATE: I did a new Windows install via Boot Camp and it's up-to-date.

UPDATE 2:  down in the thread 

This topic was modified 5 days ago

2012 Mac mini i7 2.6Ghz . 16GB RAM . 500GB SSD . 1TB HDD . Razer Core X . Sapphire RX 580 Nitro+ SE . DVI 60Hz monitor . MacOS 10.14.6 . Windows 10 LTSC 1809

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

@zooli Your 2012 Mac mini doesn’t have a dGPU so there’s no need to run DDU or modified Radeon drivers from bootcampdrivers.com. Try hot-plugging the RX 580 eGPU in Windows Desktop and see if that would work.

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use

eGPU enclosure buying guide

ReplyQuote
zooli
(@zooli)
Eminent Member

@itsage I tried it but nothing happened, can it be because I removed the drivers previously? Can I install them back?

This post was modified 1 week ago

2012 Mac mini i7 2.6Ghz . 16GB RAM . 500GB SSD . 1TB HDD . Razer Core X . Sapphire RX 580 Nitro+ SE . DVI 60Hz monitor . MacOS 10.14.6 . Windows 10 LTSC 1809

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

Yes, hot-plug the RX 580 eGPU then download and install Radeon drivers from AMD website. When driver installation is complete, don’t click [Restart Now]. Shut the Mac mini off then disconnect the eGPU. Boot up without the eGPU connected then hot-plug when Windows fully loads. If that doesn’t work you may need the other boot loader solutions.

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use

eGPU enclosure buying guide

ReplyQuote
zooli
(@zooli)
Eminent Member

Understood, except the hot-plug the RX 580 part, since I can't do that because there's no image on the monitor then. Can I install the drivers with iGPU too?

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Noble Member Moderator

@itsage @zooli

Pre-2015 Macs don't support Thunderbolt device hot-plug in Windows IIRC. 2012 Mac mini will require booting with eGPU plugged in and iGPU enabled (via automate-eGPU EFI or apple_set_os.efi).

purge-wrangler.shpurge-nvda.shset-eGPU.shautomate-eGPU EFI Installer
2018 MacBook Pro 15" RP560X + Vega 64 (Mantiz Venus MZ-02)

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
zooli
(@zooli)
Eminent Member

@mac_editor

I did a clean Windows 10 install via Bootcamp, everything is up-to-date. Installed automate-eGPU EFI to a USB stick with your terminal code, and it boots up with the iGPU even with automatic boot enabled, but doesn't detect the eGPU when hot-plugging it in automate-eGPU EFI's menu and the screen stays black (I have purge-wrangler enabled in MacOS, but I don't think that has anything to do with it). Any suggestions?

ReplyQuote
Disco
(@disco)

@zooli  Have you checked if windows will even boot in EFI mode without the egpu?
I tried to get my MacBook Pro Retina mid 2012 on windows 10, and only ever managed to get it working in legacy mode. If you need to do an EFI boot for egpu to work, then I suspect we may both be out of luck :/

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
zooli
(@zooli)
Eminent Member

@disco If you mean automate-eGPU EFI, then no, Windows doesn't boot up with the iGPU, the screen freezes in the EFI menu and I need to switch the computer off.
MacOS boots up fine.

So, a summary of my what I did so far and my observations:

TL;DR: automate-eGPU EFI still doesn't recognise the eGPU, screen stays black.

• When I tried to boot with eGPU into Windows, after a short appearance of the Windows logo the screen turned black and had to turn the mini off, but at the next iGPU boot, AMD software and RX 580 drivers got automatically installed by Windows Update... I guess it's a good thing
  •  The 2012 Mac mini firmware handles more than one drive as Fusion Drive, and seems like more than one partition too, which is why Boot Camp Assistant created an MBR partition, to which Windows 10 Legacy version was installed. That resulted in freezing when trying to boot to Windows from automate-eGPU EFI with an iGPU
  • Installed the latest Thunderbolt driver and updated all the drivers with Snappy Driver Installer, tried the timed plug in trick, that worked for some users on 2014 Mac mini, tried a cable plugged in the HDMI port ---- no changes in behaviour
  • Converted the BOOTCAMP partition from MBR to GPT without data loss - Windows turned to UEFI, iGPU booting from automate-eGPU EFI is working
  • Interestingly now when I boot to directly to Windows with eGPU, screen doesn't turn on and freeze at circling dots like before
  • Tried booting rEFInd too with apple_set_os.efi enabled
  • Reinstalled UEFI Windows from scratch and followed ICULikeMac's guide, no changes in behaviour

The problem is either with automate-eGPU EFI on my setup, or that I'm using the mini-display port for the monitor (not HDMI).

This post was modified 4 days ago

ReplyQuote
zooli
(@zooli)
Eminent Member

I ran out of ideas, any help would be appreciated.

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Noble Member Moderator

@zooli

Posted by: @zooli

When I tried to boot with eGPU into Windows, after a short appearance of the Windows logo the screen turned black and had to turn the mini off, but at the next iGPU boot, AMD software and RX 580 drivers got automatically installed by Windows Update... I guess it's a good thing

So to be clear, at this time, you were not using any hacks (need clarification on what you mean by next iGPU boot)? That is:

• Your monitor was plugged into the Mac mini directly?
  • You booted with the eGPU plugged in?
  • You did not use automate-eGPU EFI or any other tools?
  • Screen output worked from Mac mini directly worked and drivers for eGPU were installed?

At this point, plugging in the monitor to eGPU would be sufficient for the setup to function.

ReplyQuote
zooli
(@zooli)
Eminent Member

So, upon the next iGPU boot:

• yes, through the mini display port of the Mac mini with a mini display port/DVI adapter, so either that or the eGPU is plugged in directly at a time
  • no, see above
  • no
  • actually RX 580 drivers might not have been installed (as I haven't seen them in the display drivers), but AMD software definitely got installed

And before that, I booted directly to Windows with the startup disk set to it in MacOS and with the eGPU plugged in. But that was in Legacy Windows, in UEFI the screen stayed black when I tried to replicate this.

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Noble Member Moderator

@zooli

Still not clear how AMD software got installed if you were unable to boot with the eGPU plugged in except once (what happened in this case). Can you do the following in Legacy Windows:

• Connect eGPU to Mac mini.
  • Connect display to Mac mini.
  • Boot into Windows.
  • Ideally, iGPU would deactivate and you would see black screen.

Also might be good to start with a fresh installation of Windows.

This post was modified 3 days ago

ReplyQuote
zooli
(@zooli)
Eminent Member

Alright, I can do a fresh Windows Legacy install. However, I can't connect the eGPU and the display directly to the 2012 Mac mini at the same time, because it has only one TB 1 (mini display) port, and as I said my monitor is not HDMI. Shall I still do the Legacy install?

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Noble Member Moderator

@zooli

How were you attempting to set up the eGPU then - because without both simultaneously connected, you won't be able to set up the drivers in Windows. Simultaneous connection is needed first time only. Another thing to try would be to attempt the legacy install of Windows while the display is connected to the eGPU and the eGPU to the Mac mini. Hopefully the installer lights up on the external monitor and if all goes well and you get in - install AMD drivers first. If this does not work, grab some adapter/find some way to have both eGPU and monitor connected to Mac mini simultaneously and we'll go from there.

zooli liked
ReplyQuote
zooli
(@zooli)
Eminent Member

Posted by: @mac_editor

Still not clear how AMD software got installed if you were unable to boot with the eGPU plugged in except once (what happened in this case).

I could do it more than once, every time actually, but the screen turned black at Windows booting and I had to turn the computer off.

Posted by: @mac_editor

Another thing to try would be to attempt the legacy install of Windows while the display is connected to the eGPU and the eGPU to the Mac mini.

Alright, I'm on it.

ReplyQuote
zooli
(@zooli)
Eminent Member

@mac_editor

I tried Legacy installation with eGPU plugged in, but the screen froze at the Windows logo, so I made a UEFI install.

With the monitor plugged into HDMI, automate-eGPU EFI recognised the eGPU 😀 This was the point I missed before... thanks for the assistance!
Booting from automate-eGPU EFI, RX 580 drivers got downloaded, but I hit good old Code 12.

rx 580 code 12

I'm still happy about it because that's the farthest I got so far 🙂 The guides and solutions I've found, like DSDT override are mostly for Macbooks with dGPU, which I read shouldn't be necessary for iGPU-only Macs?
So what should I do next?

This post was modified 2 days ago

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Noble Member Moderator

@zooli

automate-eGPU EFI recognizing the GPU doesn’t make a difference. But anyway, seems like everything went according to plan. Does rebooting with automate-egpu EFI and egpu not fix the issue?

ReplyQuote
zooli
(@zooli)
Eminent Member

No, I tried booting with automate-egpu EFI with eGPU into Windows numerous times. MacOS works.

This post was modified 2 days ago

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Noble Member Moderator

@zooli

Try booting into Windows without automate-eGPU EFI, display plugged into egpu, and egpu into Mini.

ReplyQuote
zooli
(@zooli)
Eminent Member

Display gets no signal, but Windows boots up I suppose (because I'm able to shutdown with alt+F4).

ReplyQuote
zooli
(@zooli)
Eminent Member

I tried to disable devices, but didn't help. I'm stuck at this again, does anyone have an idea how to get rid of Code 12 on a 2012 Mac mini?

ReplyQuote