Setup & Software Discussions
[Help] My Lenovo 730S-13IWL (i7-8565U, 16GB Ram) didn't detect GPU in Sonnet Bre...

[Help] My Lenovo 730S-13IWL (i7-8565U, 16GB Ram) didn't detect GPU in Sonnet Breakaway Box 550  

RSS

(@thanaphong_wat)

I just bought Breakaway Box 550 a few days ago.
I have installed my Zotac Mini GTX 1060 3GB (Single fan) followed by their manual but it didn't work. ( https://www.sonnettech.com/support/downloads/manuals/windows_egpu_info.pdf )

After I plugged in, My laptop has detected ThunderBolt connection.
I selected "Always Connect" but after that there was no detection sign of installed GPU. (Please see >> https://imgur.com/a/Cr64Che )

I also have checked my card fan and it's running and I'm 100% sure that my card is not defect becuase it worked fine on the my old set up which is Lenovo X230 (3rd Gen) + EXP-GDC (ExpressCard) (Please see >> https://imgur.com/a/Px3FjhU)

So, I'm not sure that there are any problems with the BIOS (Do I have to use mod. BIOS ?) or my laptop is not compatible with this Sonnet box (Is it possible ?) or my card is not comapatible with TB3 (Is it possible ?) becuase I saw Mr.Boltoway who use the same laptop as mine but he use Razor Core X and it's like plug and play. ( https://egpu.io/forums/laptop-computing/lenovo-yoga-s730-ideapad-730s-ultrabook-a-quick-review-razer-core-x/ ) and my friend who is using the same box as mine (Sonnet Breakaway Box 550) but but his laptop is Dell XPS13 9370 and GPU is GTX 2060 said he just plugged it > Windows automatically detected > installed driver and done. I'm really upset because I think it's should just plug and play thing. I didn't expect this issue.

What should I do?
How can I troubleshoot the cause ? 

Please help.

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

@thanaphong_wat Check the GTX 1060 to make sure it’s seated firmly in the slot and power connector is well connected. You could see the Sonnet Breakaway worked because the Thunderbolt connection showed up in Intel Thunderbolt Software.

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use

eGPU enclosure buying guide

ReplyQuote
(@thanaphong_wat)

Posted by: @itsage

@thanaphong_wat Check the GTX 1060 to make sure it's seated firmly in the slot and power connector is well connected. You could see the Sonnet Breakaway worked because the Thunderbolt connection showed up in Intel Thunderbolt Software.

@itsage

The fan is running and I plugged PCI-E line tightly. (Please see >> https://imgur.com/a/SrbzOuJ )

Is it possible to be one of these cause ?
- Box's board is defect.
- My laptop's bios is locked. (Have to mod bios)
- My laptop is not compatible with this box.
- My card is not compatible with ThunderBolt3 connection.

I don't have any clue right now and I don't know what to do 🙁

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

@thanaphong_wat There’s active and approved Thunderbolt connection from the Sonnet Breakaway to your laptop so those are working fine imo. If you can test your GPU in a desktop or test another GPU with this enclosure you would be able to determine which component is acting up.

ReplyQuote
(@thanaphong_wat)

@thanaphong_wat There's active and approved Thunderbolt connection from the Sonnet Breakaway to your laptop so those are working fine imo. If you can test your GPU in a desktop or test another GPU with this enclosure you would be able to determine which component is acting up.

@itsage

At first, I was thinking the same way, so, I tested with my previous set up which is ThinkPad X230 (3rd Gen) + EXP-GDC Beast V.8 (ExpressCard) once more and it's worked fine on that machine.
(Please see >> https://imgur.com/a/Px3FjhU
)

So, I'm not sure what is going on right now.

Is it possible that the socket of GPU of board is defect, so, it could not send a signal ?

This post was modified 4 weeks ago

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

@thanaphong_wat It’s possible there’s an issue with the PCIe slot. Do you have another PCIe card to test inside the Sonnet Breakaway Box? It doesn’t have to be a GPU.

ReplyQuote
(@thanaphong_wat)

@thanaphong_wat It's possible there's an issue with the PCIe slot. Do you have another PCIe card to test inside the Sonnet Breakaway Box? It doesn't have to be a GPU.

@itsage

Oh, I see.

Could you please guide me how to do it ?
because I don't know what kind of card that can use in this socket apart from GPU.

Are there any test card or something that I can buy and use to test socket of my box ?

ps. I just asked my friend to borrow his Dell XPS 15 to test with my box also.
If it can run on his laptop, so, something must be wrong on my laptop.

ReplyQuote
joevt
(@joevt)
Honorable Member

@thanaphong_wat

Use any PCIe card such as USB, SATA, NVMe PCIe cards.

ReplyQuote
(@thanaphong_wat)

Posted by: @joevt

@thanaphong_wat

Use any PCIe card such as USB, SATA, NVMe PCIe cards.

@joevt @itsage

Thank you for your message.

I just ordered USB PCI-E card last night.
In the meantime, I will try to find another laptop to test with my box to see what is really defect.

Is it possible that my laptop is not compatible this brand ?
(I don't think so but I might be wrong)

ReplyQuote
joevt
(@joevt)
Honorable Member

@thanaphong_wat

I don't think it can be a compatibility issue.
In the Device Manager, view devices by connection, and find the Thunderbolt devices.

ReplyQuote
(@thanaphong_wat)

Posted by: @joevt

@thanaphong_wat

I don't think it can be a compatibility issue.
In the Device Manager, view devices by connection, and find the Thunderbolt devices.

@joevt

I see ...
So, I'm quite sure that the problem is from the socket because my laptop could detect the board (as I mentioned before) but nothing more than that.

I'm so fraustrated and upset ... 🙁

ReplyQuote