Notifications
Clear all

HELP: NOT GETTING USUAL FPS RATES  

RSS

lancetan36
(@lancetan36)

Hey, so my setup is the Zotac RTX 2060 OC (not twin-fan or AMP version) hooked up to my HP Spectre 13" (2020) via Sonnet eGFX Breakaway 550. However, I'm not getting the usual fps rates that a 2060 should at 1080p, which is at about 80-90fps on the internal display (Unigine Valley). See photos attached.

I have all the NVIDIA Game Ready drivers installed correctly (latest ones too). I have the latest GeForce Experience software installed as well. I don't get how I'm getting leagues below what a 2060 should be getting. I ran Far Cry New Dawn and am struggling to get 60fps even at 1080p Low settings

135769477 314570773186000 7760665423485616464 n
136103432 394278061676085 898311667799331104 n

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Founder Admin

@lancetan36, Download and run DDU to remove all existing Nvidia drivers. Reinstall the drivers without GeForce Experience. I've seen GeForce Experience causing performance issues because of its auto-optimize feature.

LinkedIn | Twitter | Facebook | Youtube | Instagram

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2020 13" MacBook Pro [10th,4C,G] + RX 6700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (CM MasterCase EG200) + Win10 1903 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
lancetan36
(@lancetan36)

@itsage, is that enough to justify the big disparity in frame rates? being 50fps far from the average seems too big to just result from drivers, no?

This post was modified 4 months ago

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
ishikawa_goemon
(@ishikawa_goemon)
Trusted Member

@lancetan36, I read that the newest drivers for Nvidia RTX GPUs have changed the way that they handle overclock. Previously, this was set by the user or done via the OC Scanner. Now according to tomshardware, it is done on the card itself.

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/nvidias-oc-scanner-receives-major-changes-for-rtx-3000-series-gpus

Did you use afterburner and upgrade to this latest version? I saw a similar drop in performance and power usage after I did this with my RTX card. I re-flashed the BIOs which temporarily brought the performance back but this lasted only a day.

Per @itsage suggestion, I did a DDU and clean driver reinstall using NVSlimmer to keep only the display driver (leaving out GeForce Experience and other back-end components which could impact performance) and unfortunately have not seen a return to the original performance level.

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
lancetan36
(@lancetan36)

@ishikawa_goemon, no i used stock version, no overclocking. And I still can't reach the average fps of a 2060 from the eGPU builds in this website...

ReplyQuote