Setup & Software Discussions
Help please? USB issue for Mid-2018 15" 560X MacBook Pro + Razer Core X + Vega 6...

Help please? USB issue for Mid-2018 15" 560X MacBook Pro + Razer Core X + Vega 64  

RSS

RedmondStache
(@redmondstache)

I'd been using my Vega 64 via a Razer Core X under Bootcamp with no issues for a while, but recently (not sure if due to a Windows update or due to a change in my setup requiring me to start using left-side USB ports instead of right-side) it has become the case that when running Windows with the eGPU, plugging in ANY USB device to ANY port after startup causes the display to freeze, mandating a forced shutdown. Having any USB devices plugged into the right-side USBs (including the eGPU itself now) at startup causes a freeze at the windows logo with the spinning dots.

So as such, my only option is currently to have the eGPU plugged into one of the left USBs, and to have any other USB peripheral I might want plugged into the other left-side USB at startup.

I used to be able to fully utilize all three non-eGPU USBs, including the ability to plug in peripherals during operation, and would very much like to reclaim that ability, as I'm currently left choosing between using wired Internet for online stability or using my external mic so my friends aren't subjected to overwhelming fan noise. eGPU still works like a charm; USBs are the only issue I face.

Does anyone have any recommendations to help with this?

For reference, system specs:

Mid-2018 15" MacBook Pro
2.9GHz Intel i9
32GB RAM
Radeon Pro 560X dGPU

With Razer Core X running an ROG Vega 64 eGPU connected to an external display. Internal display is left off during Windows operation as I have no need for it and so didn't make any attempts to get it running.

Initial setup was install Windows 10 via Bootcamp, update to current software (as of late October), plug in eGPU before subsequent startup, run DDU in safe mode, install new drivers, play. To my knowledge I have altered no other settings away from Windows default. Windows updates have been installed automatically since, but GPU drivers have been installed exclusively from Bootcampdrivers rather than allowed to update automatically.

Final note: I'm basically an idiot when it comes to Windows software, so step-by-step instructions would be VERY welcome. I'm also willing gather and report additional information upon request, if it can help get this issue solved.

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
RedmondStache
(@redmondstache)

I can also confirm that all USBs function normally when the eGPU is not connected.

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

@redmondstache In my observation, when switching an already installed eGPU to a different Thunderbolt 3 port the system changed the way it allocate resources. What I learned to do everytime I change either the eGPU enclosure or Thunderbolt 3 port on the host computer is to run DDU first. I’d say give that a shot and pick the TB3 port you want to use then install the latest Radeon drivers.

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use

eGPU enclosure buying guide

ReplyQuote
Sace
 Sace
(@sace)

I’ve only had my setup running for at week but I have had the USB issues from i started.

Whenever I plug/unplug a USB device from the port not used for the eGPU the display turns green and stalls until I do a force shutdown.

MacBook Pro 13” nTB (2016) - Razer Core X - MSI Radeon RX 580 Armor 8GB
Mac OS X 10.14.1 + Windows 10 1803 (Bootcamp)

ReplyQuote
RedmondStache
(@redmondstache)

Posted by: itsage

@redmondstache In my observation, when switching an already installed eGPU to a different Thunderbolt 3 port the system changed the way it allocate resources. What I learned to do everytime I change either the eGPU enclosure or Thunderbolt 3 port on the host computer is to run DDU first. I'd say give that a shot and pick the TB3 port you want to use then install the latest Radeon drivers.

Unfortunately after following these steps the issue still persists. Can't get past the Windows logo with anything plugged into the right-side USBs, and plugging any USB devices into any slot after startup with the eGPU connected results in the screen immediately and irrecoverably freezing until I force shutdown.

ReplyQuote
raybanner
(@raybanner)
Eminent Member

Hi,

sorry for goung off topic bere:
i have the exact same setup as yours and run through the same steps eith ddu to install nrw drivers but I cant get it to work. I get a black screen on booting eith eGPU and when hot plugging after windows login I get the error 12 code. Any ideas what I can do about this? I‘m like you in need of a step by step tutorial.

Have you installed the drivers from amd website?

ReplyQuote