Setup & Software Discussions
Help re H2D speed | Asus Transformer 3 Pro T303UA + Asus ROG Station 2 (GTX1080)

Help re H2D speed | Asus Transformer 3 Pro T303UA + Asus ROG Station 2 (GTX1080)  

RSS

stryke
(@stryke)

Hi everyone, first time post here.

I need some assistance optimising my combo of the Asus T303UA & Asus ROG S2 with GTX1080.

I was quite excited when I learnt about external GPUs after buying the T303UA last year and today was eager to finally to give this a go but performance didn't seem up to snuff at first. I don't fully understand all the techno-babble that happens in this forum but I tried doing my homework for potential issues - I had already seen the thread on some bug about half performance for H2D speed but I installed the latest firmware for the ROG S2. My T303UA also has the full PCIe v3 4 lanes spec. I also connected the USB Type B cable that came with the ROG S2 so that further bandwidth could be freed up for Thunderbolt.

But in the end, I'm getting terrible H2D speeds as below compared to others here who also have the ROG S2 and are getting above 2100MiB/s

[img] [/img]

Here's my other specs on Hwinfo

[img] [/img]

I didn't know how to produce the results of the Unigine Valley benchmarker but the min/max fps was like 18/90 and very stuttery.

The only thing left I can try is maybe get a new cable? Surely the thunderbolt cable that came with the ROG is capable of 40Gbps though...What other troubleshooting steps can I take? Happy to provide other info if needed.

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

This is the result of Skylake-U set to low-power GT2 mode. All PCI Express connection bandwidth is capped at roughly 1800MB/s. Please read this stickied thread for more information. The only fix is an BIOS update to enable high-power GT4 mode.

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use

eGPU enclosure buying guide

ReplyQuote
stryke
(@stryke)

So basically it's up to Asus? Damn

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
irev210
(@irev210)
Trusted Member

Posted by: stryke

So basically it's up to Asus? Damn

Also, don't forget that the Asus T303UA throttles like none other.  You basically have a CPU that is about as fast as a Core M CPU when under load due to a very tight TDP limit due to the fact that it is a tablet.

ReplyQuote