Setup & Software Discussions
[HELP] Setup Macbook Pro 2019 13inch with Razer Core X Chroma + RX 5700 XT

[HELP] Setup Macbook Pro 2019 13inch with Razer Core X Chroma + RX 5700 XT  

RSS

(@jendrik_reis)

Hey Guys!

I have some Problems setting up my Macbook Pro 2019 13 Inch with a Razer Core X Chroma an Asus RX 5700 XT and Samsung u28590d 4k Monitor.

Im a newby with things like egpu so please be patient 🙂 and sorry for my bad English..

I hope you can answer my Questions and help me get this Setup working

First of all i want to know, if this Setup is good for gaming ( Heard of things like "bottleneck" ) ?

First Problem (MacOS):

Ive connected the egpu with an 0,5m Thunderbolt 3 cable directly to my MBP. The MBP detects the Razer Core X Chroma and the RX 5700 XT correctly.But In some games (e.g. Fortnite) the GPU doesnt work. I have only 15-25 fps. I ran the script set_egpu but with no effects.. Maybe i did something wrong idk.. When i run Heaven Benchmark i get with 1080p on ultra settings about 100-120 fps. Same in League of Legends ( 220 fps)

Second Problem ( Windows Bootcamp):

Ive installed the Windows Version 1803 ( October 2018) via the bootcamp setup. When i start Bootcamp, install the driver from amd, the device isnt detected correctly. i get the error code 12. Allready tried with a newer Windows Version (1903) but with same results.

ive found the Guide https://egpu.io/boot-camp-egpu-setup-guide/ and started doing it step by step.

Now im Stuck and the Point "Activate iGPU with rEFInd & apple_set_os.eft - Boot Selector", ive installed refind with the Terminal but when i boot in the boot selector there is no refind screen. I can only boot to bootcamp or Macos. Im not sure if this guide is for 13inch Models.

I hope you guys can help me.. im so lost atm..

This topic was modified 1 month ago

Macbook Pro 2019 13Inch 2,4GHZ / WIN 10 1809 / MacOS 10.15.1
Razer Core X Chroma
Asus ROG Strix Rx 5700 XT

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member

Welcome aboard @jendrik_reis !

Reg Fortnite, it plays terrible on macOS, but it shouldn't quite be that bad. Although you ran the set egpu script its prob worth double checking it is applied correctly, hunt out the Fortnite app and "get info", there should be a "prefer egpu" checkbox and it should be ticked.

Reg windows, you've missed a couple of steps in the instructions I'd guess (disabling security in macOS and "blessing" the rEFInd instal. Double check in the builds section it works on your model but the EFI Bootloader tends to be the easier option.

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar
GTX1060 + AKiTiO Thunder3 + Win10
GTX1070 + Sonnet Breakaway Box + Win10
GTX1070 + Razer Core V1 + Win10
Vega 56 + Razer Core V1 + macOS + Win10
Vega 56 + Mantiz Venus + macOS + W10

---

LG 5K Ultrafine flickering issue fix

ReplyQuote
(@jendrik_reis)

@eightarmedpet

Hey, ive checked both, Epic Games launcher and Fortnite Laucher are checked "prefer egpu". Other Games are working ( Cs:GO, LoL, Dota etc). Maybe i just have to wait for new AMD Drivers or an Fortnite Update.

@windows: i ve disabled security via the boot menu. what do you mean with ""blessing" the rEFInd instal." ? i tried to install rEFInd via the terminal.

Razer Core X Chroma

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member

I do a manual instal rather than instal via terminal but this is what I do...

How to Mount EFI and "bless" rEFInd (allow it to manage boot)

In terminal:

• sudo mkdir /Volumes/ESP

(terminal asks for your password)

• sudo mount -t msdos /dev/disk0s1 /Volumes/ESP

Then put put the rEFInd folder in the EFI folder (see screenshot).

• sudo bless --mount /Volumes/ESP --setBoot --file /Volumes/ESP/efi/refind/refind_x64.efi --shortform

Apologies for the formatting, copy and pasted from my Notion page.

---

ReplyQuote
ttamnogard
(@ttamnogard)
Trusted Member

are you using the bootcampdrivers.com load or are you trying the out of the box download from AMD? Also, which 1903 version fo windows are you running.

I have an MBP 2019 (when my eldest isn't using it) and had no issues (other than the occasional hiccup). Does your 13 have a dGPU or no?

2018 Mac mini running Radeon vii

ReplyQuote
(@jendrik_reis)

@eightarmedpet

ok i will delete the bootcamp Partition and set up a new fresh bootcamp later when im home.

do you recommend to unplug the egpu while setting up bootcamp and EFI ?

Razer Core X Chroma

ReplyQuote
(@jendrik_reis)

@ttamnogard

ive tried the drivers diretly from AMD. I am running windows 1803 because i heard of the errors in 1903 with bootcamp.

what is a dgpu? i have a macbook pro 2019 13 inch (2,4 ghz)with intel graphics 655. i think its a igpu ?!

Razer Core X Chroma

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member

@jendrik_reis hold on champ, think you've misunderstood something... there is no need to delete you instals, you are just adding the rEFInd folder to the EFI folder and then "blessing" it.

---

ReplyQuote
(@jendrik_reis)

@eightarmedpet

okay, so i have to put the following commands in the Terminal -> sudo mkdir /Volumes/ESP and sudo mount -t msdos /dev/disk0s1 /Volumes/ESP right ?

then i have to put the refind folder in the efi folder. and then run the command: sudo bless --mount /Volumes/ESP --setBoot --file /Volumes/ESP/efi/refind/refind_x64.efi --shortform in the Terminal. is that right?

sorry but my english is so bad and thats my first MBP + egpu..

Razer Core X Chroma

ReplyQuote
(@yang_li_1)

@jendrik_reis

not sure if we are waiting AMD drivers here or game optimisation, or maybe both. I have an egpu with 5700xt too and sucks with anything from EPIC game luncher on MacOS, similar to your observation things on Steam are better (Dota for example) though not comparable to windows PC.  

If apple can fix the white screen death for RX580, I will swap back it from my desktop since I'm not a heavy gamer (don't have enough time) anyway.

MBP 15 2019
Asus XG Station Pro
PowerColor Red Devil 5700XT

ReplyQuote
(@jendrik_reis)

@yang_li_1

are u running on bootcamp too with your egpu ? or only mac?

Razer Core X Chroma

ReplyQuote
(@yang_li_1)

@jendrik_reis

Egpu only on MBP

MBP 15 2019
Asus XG Station Pro
PowerColor Red Devil 5700XT

ReplyQuote