[HELP] TB3 Link dying/restarting: Lenovo T470s + Mantiz Venus MZ-02 + RX580

Notifications
Clear all

[HELP] TB3 Link dying/restarting: Lenovo T470s + Mantiz Venus MZ-02 + RX580  

RSS

teltersat
(@teltersat)
Eminent Member

Hey guys, I'm having a problem with my Thunderbolt setup: I currently use a T470s for work, and have a MZ-02 setup with an RX580 and keyboard/mice connected. It's essentially a dock for me. The actual issue is that whenever I connect the T470s through a TB3 cable exclusively, the actual TB3 link either dies or restarts if I use it for more than 10 minutes on cold/boot, and immediately when the laptop has been on for a while. The only way I can have the TB3 link work consistently is if I connect the power charger directly to the laptop, turning this into a multiple cable solution, which is cumbersome as I have no way of routing the charger cable at the moment.
I've tried updating all the drivers through System Update (Lenovo's update utility) and I'm not quite sure what else to do. I'm locked on Windows 1709 due to corporate policies. Do you know what else I could try? or any suggesstions?
PS: This doesn't happen when I connect an 15" MBP 2017, as the link is stable and it can run for more than 24 hours.

MacBook Pro Touch Bar 2017 15" + Mantiz Venus MZ-02 + AMD Radeon Vega 64

2017 15" MacBook Pro (RP560) [7th,4C,H] + RX 580 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Juan C. Yunis
(@juan_c_yunis)
Reputable Member

@teltersat it could be the Mantiz, I have one that died on my, it was working fine but about a couple of months ago, it started to restart the link and then it powers off.

2018 Mac Mini Core i7 8700B 32GB RAM 512GB SSD + Razer Core X + AMD Radeon VII

ReplyQuote
teltersat
(@teltersat)
Eminent Member

Posted by: Juan C. Yunis

@teltersat it could be the Mantiz, I have one that died on my, it was working fine but about a couple of months ago, it started to restart the link and then it powers off.

It's something I thought, but my MBP works fine with it, no hiccups, no nothing, it's just with the T470s... would this still be a sign of it?

2017 15" MacBook Pro (RP560) [7th,4C,H] + RX 580 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Juan C. Yunis
(@juan_c_yunis)
Reputable Member

if it works properly with your MBP then it could be the thunderbolt 3 controller on your T470s. Do you have another TB3 device? like a dock? maybe test that.

2018 Mac Mini Core i7 8700B 32GB RAM 512GB SSD + Razer Core X + AMD Radeon VII

ReplyQuote
teltersat
(@teltersat)
Eminent Member

That's what I've been fearing, and sadly I only have one TB3 enclosure/dock to test (these things are expensive) I will have to find someone that has a TB3 enclosure to test this out!

ReplyQuote
teltersat
(@teltersat)
Eminent Member

I've just managed to resolve this by:

• Updating the MZ-02 firmware (Which I believe it's a must if you want to use an eGPU solution as a laptop dock)
  • Uninstalling every Thunderbolt firmware and letting Windows figure out what to do
  • Updating the video drivers to latest Radeon Adrenalin drivers available

It's been more than one hour and the TB3 link has not died/restarted!

ReplyQuote