Setup & Software Discussions
HELP with RX 580 eGPU on MacBook Pro

HELP with RX 580 eGPU on MacBook Pro  

RSS

Matthew92007
(@matthew92007)

I've been banging my head with this for around two months now and am just getting around to admitting defeat and asking for help.

I have a GIGABYTE RX 580 Gaming Box paired with a 2018 MacBook Pro 13" Touch Bar. Under macOS, it works beautifully, but under Windows, it's a completely different story.

What I've done so far:
- Installed Windows via Bootcamp
- Used DDU to uninstall preinstalled drivers, used drivers from bootcampdrivers.com
- installed rEFInd, used apple_set_os.efi.
- Disabled the right side TB3 ports
- Disabled the FaceTime HD camera.
I don't think I've missed anything.

IT STILL JUST WONT WORK, neither on internal or external display. I still haven't gotten a single thing to pop up on the external display, apart from one time on boot when it just mirrored the internal for ~5 seconds before blue screening. Sometimes AMD x Connect detects it, sometimes not, but 99% of the time, device manager just reports error 12. 

I'm basically defeated, does anybody have any Ideas as to how to just get this freaking eGPU to work in windows?

Thank you for your time!!
-Matthew

This topic was modified 6 months ago

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member

Oh man, I feel your pain... I struggled with error 12 for over a year!
I'm sure you'll be able to get past it, if you're new to all this you're prob just missing one little detail... I assume you've been through all the similar builds in the guide section?
example.
IIRC apple_set_os is baked into the latest versions of rEFInd so you won't need that additional element.
I also had some luck with EFI boot loader which may work for you? More details in my builds... (I have a 2017 model so its slightly different).

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar
GTX1060 + AKiTiO Thunder3 + Win10
GTX1070 + Sonnet Breakaway Box + Win10
GTX1070 + Razer Core V1 + Win10
Vega 56 + Razer Core V1 + macOS + Win10
Vega 56 + Mantiz Venus + macOS + W10

---

LG 5K Ultrafine flickering issue fix

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
Matthew92007
(@matthew92007)

Sorry for the late response, but thank you for the reply, @eightarmedpet !. I've tried a couple solutions, and sorry for being a newbie, but what is "EFI boot loader"? I looked at the hyperlink but I didn't really understand it's purpose. Could you explain it to me?

Thank you for your time!
-Matthew

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
Magwezie
(@magwezie)

Saw this note and just resolved this exact issue with a friend of mine.
IF the Touch Bar on your MacBook is lighting up and active, it suggests that the system has loaded.

Even though it is a blank external screen, this is what we did (out of shear guess work).
Hit space bar and enter your Windows Password.
External screen should show the desktop as extended.
You can then either use the windows command to swap the External to be the primary, or as my mate called it, go fishing for the Screen options and drag it across to the secondary and set as primary.

Now my mate has a fully functional Bootcamp on a 2018 13 MBP TB with an External RX580 GPU. 

ReplyQuote
teltersat
(@teltersat)
Eminent Member

Have you tried using the BootCampDrivers.com drivers? (heh) I have a 2017 MBP and I've managed to get things working by:

1. Booting to safe mode and removing Apple's BootCamp AMD drivers through DDU
  2. Installing BootCampDrivers.com drivers upon reboot
  3. Turning off the MBP
  4. Connecting the eGPU
  5. Turning on the laptop

What this should give you is a display on your eGPU connected panels, but a black dGPU display on your MBP - which is my current setup, and I really don't mind as my laptop is in a desk tray and I won't be using the internal display.

Now if you try to hotplug the eGPU to the laptop while it's on, you may see the error 12 popping up, and perhaps a black screen. I resolved the black screen problem by using a DisplayLink adapter and rebooting the machine. Afterwards I don't get a black screen after a hotplug, but I do get an error 12. The black screen will happen on each time you connect the eGPU to an unused port. If you hotplug to a port that you've used before, you won't get a black screen.

Also, instead of the drivers provided by BootCampDrivers.com I did use the latest legitimate AMD drivers from the AMD site (RX580 drivers, and not the AMD Boot Camp drivers), and I could get externally accelerated displays, and a non-driver, non-accelerated display in my MBP display.

With all of this being said, this guide may help you as well: https://egpu.io/forums/pc-setup/step-by-step-guides-to-install-nvidia-and-amd-egpu-cards-on-bootcamp-15-inch-macbook-2017-and-2018/

This post was modified 6 months ago

MacBook Pro Touch Bar 2017 15" + Mantiz Venus MZ-02 + AMD Radeon Vega 64

OliverB liked
ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member

To be fair, this forum can be hard to navigate at times, not knocking it, you know you guys are champs (mods), but if you don’t know a good place to start is the “build” section in the global nav, then filter until you get as close to your build as possible (the laptop is the most important part) and then follow guides until one works. 

The efi bootloader is badicslly a couple couple of different boot screens - boot holding down alt key, make your selections, eGPU should work. That’s the simple version, there’s plenty of smarts behind it, but that’s what you need to know to use it.

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar
GTX1060 + AKiTiO Thunder3 + Win10
GTX1070 + Sonnet Breakaway Box + Win10
GTX1070 + Razer Core V1 + Win10
Vega 56 + Razer Core V1 + macOS + Win10
Vega 56 + Mantiz Venus + macOS + W10

---

LG 5K Ultrafine flickering issue fix

ReplyQuote