Setup & Software Discussions
Help with Thinkpad P51 quadro m2200 and eGPU razer Core X + asus gtx1080 turbo

Help with Thinkpad P51 quadro m2200 and eGPU razer Core X + asus gtx1080 turbo  

RSS

apexlocator
(@apexlocator)

So it seems I did not do enough research and purchased the core X + asus gtx 1080 turbo, only to find out after several hours that Nvidia dgpu and egpu dont play nicely together in a hybrid graphics system.  Is there any hope?

I've tried uninstalling nvidia drivers through windows, but the quadro always comes back.  Thunderbolt 3 port recognizes the core X, just never the gtx1080 card.  I finally disabled the pcie port for the quadro and its finally gone, core X recognized, but STILL no gtx1080 card shows up...

Appreciate any info.  Thanks.

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
Yukikaze
(@yukikaze)
Prominent Member Moderator

I have an nVidia dGPU (M1200) and eGPU (1080Ti), no such nonsense occurs here (there is a stutter issue, but that one has a solution).

Since your issue is that the GTX1080 doesn't appear in the device mananger: Your issue isn't the dGPU, but something else entirely.

1) Are you sure the GTX1080 is in working shape? Can you test it in another system?
2) Are you sure the Core X is functional? Can you test another card in it (doesn't have to be a graphics card)?
3) Do you have any new "VGA" device in the Device Manager? Does the GTX1080 appear but with an error?

This post was modified 1 month ago

Want to output [email protected] out of an old system on the cheap? Read here.
Give your Node Pro a second Thunderbolt3 controller for reliable peripherals by re-using a TB3 dock (~50$).

"Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it."- Robert A. Heinlein, "Time Enough for Love."

ReplyQuote
Morv
 Morv
(@morv)
Eminent Member

Make sure your P51 allows Thunderbolt to actually use the PCIe connection and not just Displayport and USB. I'm not sure if the Core X would pop up then but it's a check in the BIOS/UEFI that doesn't take long.

This post was modified 1 month ago

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
apexlocator
(@apexlocator)

Posted by: @yukikaze

I have an nVidia dGPU (M1200) and eGPU (1080Ti), no such nonsense occurs here (there is a stutter issue, but that one has a solution).

Since your issue is that the GTX1080 doesn't appear in the device mananger: Your issue isn't the dGPU, but something else entirely.

1) Are you sure the GTX1080 is in working shape? Can you test it in another system?
2) Are you sure the Core X is functional? Can you test another card in it (doesn't have to be a graphics card)?
3) Do you have any new "VGA" device in the Device Manager? Does the GTX1080 appear but with an error?

Might be difficult, as I only have laptops, and this one may be the only one with a thunderbolt port....
The core x is recognized by the thunderbolt program and shows as connected; just cant see the gtx1080....doesnt even appear anywhere in the device manager....
thanks for your input.

ReplyQuote
apexlocator
(@apexlocator)

Posted by: @morv

Make sure your P51 allows Thunderbolt to actually use the PCIe connection and not just Displayport and USB. I'm not sure if the Core X would pop up then but it's a check in the BIOS/UEFI that doesn't take long.

How would I confirm this?...that thunderbolt port uses PCIe connection....everything thunderbolt related is enabled in the computer BIOS.  Thanks for the help.

ReplyQuote
joevt
(@joevt)
Honorable Member

@apexlocator

Go into Device Manager, change the view to "By connection". When the eGPU is connected, Some additional Thunderbolt buses should appear connected to one of the root Thunderbolt buses. Maybe one of them has a Thunderbolt USB controller. And one of them should have the GTX1080.

ReplyQuote
apexlocator
(@apexlocator)

update:
It turns out its the asus gtx card.  I took the core x and asus gtx to work where we have a laptop with thunderbolt and some desktops.

asus gtx card in the desktop did not boot up anything on the monitor at all.  The MSI gtx card pulled from the desktop, put in the core x, was discovered fine on the thunderbolt laptop.  

I'm glad I figured out its hardware and not waste anymore time chasing a non-existent software issue.  Thanks for all who replied.

ap

ReplyQuote