Setup & Software Discussions
How to update firmware & troubleshoot Gigabyte Gaming Box RX 580

How to update firmware & troubleshoot Gigabyte Gaming Box RX 580  

RSS

LiveAwake
(@liveawake)

Hi, I picked up a Gigabyte Gaming Box RX 580 to use with my Lenovo X1 Yoga (3rd Gen).  I've been having some difficulties getting it set up correctly, which I may come back to if I can't sort them out, but right now my question is about how to determine which firmware version I am running.  

I tried running the 1.3 installer and got an error message saying "Please Plugin 'GIGABYTE GAMING BOX' to keep install" even though it was plugged in . . . not a good sign, but since I can't tell which version I am running, I'm not sure if I even need to deal with figuring out why. 

Can someone tell me how to see my current version? 

Thanks!

This topic was modified 6 days ago

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

@liveawake I’m not aware of a tool/way to check the firmware version of the TB3 enclosure in Windows. One way to determine which firmware your Gaming Box has is to run AIDA64 GPGPU test and see the throughput of both Host-to-Device and Device-to-Host. If they are both above 2,2XX Mb/s the firmware is good for eGPU performance. The firmware 1.3 installer has to do with the two 40mm cooling fans. 

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use | eGPU enclosure buying guide

ReplyQuote
mowglibook
(@mowglibook)

@liveawake you should read this thread: https://egpu.io/forums/thunderbolt-enclosures/how-to-know-which-bios-my-aorus-rx580-gaming-box-have/

This post was modified 3 weeks ago

Mid 2018 13" MacBook Pro: 2.7 GHz i7, 16GB DDR3, 1TB SSD, Touch Bar, 4 TB3 Ports
eGPU: Gigabyte RX 580 Gaming Box - Thunderbolt F1.0_H2D - Holtek F1.3 - GV-RX580IXEB-8GD F2

ReplyQuote
LiveAwake
(@liveawake)

Remarkable to me that it's so difficult just to check my firmware version. 👿 

Fairly sure I'm running V1 . . . my fans are not too loud, but the PSU fan stays on even when the computer is off.  Either way, though I am still unable to update as I still get the message "Please Plugin ' GIGABYTE GAMING BOX ' to keep install" even though it is already plugged in. 🙁

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
LiveAwake
(@liveawake)

Posted by: @itsage

@liveawake I'm not aware of a tool/way to check the firmware version of the TB3 enclosure in Windows. One way to determine which firmware your Gaming Box has is to run AIDA64 GPGPU test and see the throughput of both Host-to-Device and Device-to-Host. If they are both above 2,2XX Mb/s the firmware is good for eGPU performance. The firmware 1.3 installer has to do with the two 40mm cooling fans. 

@itsage I downloaded AIDA64 and ran the GPGPU test.  I don't know what any of the numbers mean, but here is the report: 

gpgpu 1

Still getting this error whey I try to update the firmware: 

Firmware update attempt

Would love to figure out how to get this thing fully updated so I can get best performance and also turn off the stupid little PSU fan when the computer is off.  

Also having issues where it won't reconnect/recognize after waking the computer unless I unplug and re-plug the box.  Hoping updates will fix this as well?  

Thanks all for your help!

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

@liveawake The AIDA64 screencap indicates your Gaming Box firmware is version 1.0. You’d want firmware F1.0_H2D [Gigabyte Support page]. Make sure your laptop has Intel Thunderbolt Software Version 17.4.77.400 in order to flash the enclosure’s Thunderbolt firmware.

ReplyQuote
LiveAwake
(@liveawake)

Thanks @itsage - my Thunderbolt software version is 17.2.78.500 - do I need to downgrade to make this work? 

Also, why do I want firmware F1.0_H2D instead of the newer F1.3? 

Currently I'm not able to upgrade to F1.3 due to the error mentioned above.

ReplyQuote
LiveAwake
(@liveawake)

I tried updating to the F1.0_H2D however I got this error:

Firmware update error

There is a PDF addressing this error in the package which directs me to downgrade my Thunderbolt software . . . unfortunately the link they give to the older version is no longer valid. 😥 

ReplyQuote
LiveAwake
(@liveawake)

UPDATE: I was able to download Intel Thunderbolt Software Version 17.4.77.400 here and downgrade.  This allowed me to successfully install Firmware 1.3 for my gaming box . . . unfortunately though this seems to have led to a massive LOSS in performance according to AIDA64

gpgpu 3

I am not using this for gaming or anything else where frame rate is my main concern, but even so these numbers make me thing something is very wrong.  Why did this happen??

EDIT: Also, the PSU fan still remains on when the laptop is shut down unless I unplug it.

This post was modified 1 week ago

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

@liveawake FW 1.3 is not a Thunderbolt firmware flash. It’s for the operations of the side cooling fans. F1.0_H2D is what you need to flash the Thunderbolt firmware and have it run full speed (22Gbps). Take a look at this post when I flashed the RTX 2070 Gaming Box to F1.0_H2D.

ReplyQuote
LiveAwake
(@liveawake)

@itsage

I'm getting the same error as before when I try to install F1.0_H2D even though I'm now running Intel Thunderbolt Software Version 17.4.77.400.  

Firmware update error

I also tried downloading F1.1 since the description says it resolves the PSU fan issue, but the package only includes a .bat and a .dat file . . . I'm not sure how to install these?

ReplyQuote
LiveAwake
(@liveawake)

Anyone have ideas about why I can't install F1.0_H2D or how to downgrade to F1.1?  

ReplyQuote
LiveAwake
(@liveawake)

Bueller?? 😥 

ReplyQuote
mowglibook
(@mowglibook)

Hi @LiveAwake,

There are different firmware on your box, I pointed out that link earlier, that should help clarify this;

1. Intel Thunderbolt Firmware, which is F1.0_H2D (based on Intel version 27.27) - same on all Gaming Boxes
  2. The Gigabyte Gaming Box firmware which is for the PSU, Fan management and "RGB Fusion" device as far as I can tell.
  3. The GPU BIOS, depends on the GPU

So, if you want to update your Thunderbolt firmware to F1.0_H2D, you need to follow the tutorials about flashing firmware with the Intel driver & software.

If you are bothered by the side fine noise, you may want to flash your Gaming Box's Holtek device (the one that manages the fans and led strip) to F1.3, but beware that this version is a bit "flaky"; it works great when it does but if the device crashes, you need to unplug it completely for a while to reset it. Otherwise, no less, and most importantly no dynamic side fans. I'd recommend you stay on F1.1 until you're comfortable with all that.

Last but not least, your AMD RX 580 BIOS, this can stay as is, or you can decide to flash it to the latest too, but make sure you choose the right one for your RAM. Again the post linked up there has all you need to get started on that should you wish to do that.

Once this all makes sense and you feel adventurous, you can even research Polaris Bios Editor which I used to overclock mine so it's a little more powerful on macOS where there's nothing like AMD WattMan (if you're only on Windows stick to this)

Mid 2018 13" MacBook Pro: 2.7 GHz i7, 16GB DDR3, 1TB SSD, Touch Bar, 4 TB3 Ports
eGPU: Gigabyte RX 580 Gaming Box - Thunderbolt F1.0_H2D - Holtek F1.3 - GV-RX580IXEB-8GD F2

ReplyQuote
LiveAwake
(@liveawake)

Thank you @mowglibook . . . this is all pretty complicated, but I will look into that thread.  Thanks for the info.

ReplyQuote