[GUIDE] keeping iGPU activated when booting into Windows using apple_set_os.efi

Notifications
Clear all

[GUIDE] keeping iGPU activated when booting into Windows using apple_set_os.efi  

of  30
  RSS

Eason85
(@eason85)
Eminent Member

I last saw in 2013 that using the integrated graphics was causing 10-20% idle CPU usage. Can anyone confirm if this is fixed yet?

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
goalque
(@goalque)
Noble Member Admin

Posted by: Eason85

I last saw in 2013 that using the integrated graphics was causing 10-20% idle CPU usage. Can anyone confirm if this is fixed yet?

Hibernate should fix:

https://communities.intel.com/thread/97975

automate-eGPU EFIapple_set_os.efi

Mid 2015 15-inch MacBook Pro eGPU Master Thread

2018 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + Radeon VII @ 32Gbps-TB3 (ASUS XG Station Pro) + Win10 1809 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
ameswarb
(@ameswarb)

When I boot into refind, I'm able to boot the bootx64.efi (renamed apple_set_os.efi) menu entry and then boot the Windows EFI, which allows me to boot into the EGPU without having it disconnected or having to do any weird timing tricks. Is there a way I could set up a menu item in refind.conf so that it'd automatically do this for me?

I tried this, but it doesn't seem to work:

menuentry "Windows + GPU" {

icon \EFI\refind\icons\os_win8.png

loader \EFI\Boot\bootx64.efi

loader \EFI\Microsoft\Boot\bootmgfw.efi

}

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Eason85
(@eason85)
Eminent Member

This looks very promising. Would you have to boot into MacOS then run the script to boot into windows with the GPU you want every time? I.E. if you just had a Windows partition, you'd be screwed?

ReplyQuote
iaomw
(@iaomw)

Thanks for that. But I am using Windows to go instead of bootcamp (The Windows 10 is installed on an external SSD). 

How could I boot my Windows using that EFI? 

ReplyQuote
Mgear1981
(@mgear1981)
Eminent Member

really simple, 

1. Boot into windows 

2. Run command prompt as administrator

3. type diskpart

4. list disk

5. select disk that matches your external ssd (for example select disk 1)

6. list partition, select the one that matches about 200Mb or the size of your efi partition (for8 example select partition 2)

7. assign letter = p:

8: exit

Now the Efi partition of your external ssd has been mounted as p:

9.go to start and look for taskman (task manager) expand it and go to file select browse and now you can access partition 

10. copy the files you want to place into the efi directory on p:

11. Reboot and select after option key your external ssd, now you will see it will use the alternated downloaded refi boot

If you have any problems more then happy to help. Good luck!

ReplyQuote
iaomw
(@iaomw)

Thanks, my EFI partition is the same as my system partition. And there is already a bootx64.efi here as larger as 1.2MB.

I followed a post only use windows command to flash everything on it, also did boot and EFI here. But I forgot where is the post and what I did exactly. That should be a good one, it doesn't involve anything not from Microsoft.

Should I just replace it or try to merge them in some way? You know the new one is only 290KB.

ReplyQuote
Mgear1981
(@mgear1981)
Eminent Member

yes i do know but its not common that you got 1 system partition. Thats why i want to suggest you try out as i described with dispart and tell me what comes out of list partition ?

ReplyQuote
iaomw
(@iaomw)

Posted by: Mgear1981

yes i do know but its not common that you got 1 system partition. Thats why i want to suggest you try out as i described with dispart and tell me what comes out of list partition ?

I had fully tested those two EFI files, they don't work. I am using 10.12.4 but my recovery looks like 10.12.2.

Also I tried GPU-Switch and rEFInd , they don't work on both Mac and Windows. rEFInd is bootable but no other effects.

I am testing with MacBook Pro 15 (2014 mid) Iris Pro with GTX 750 Ti in Akitio Thunder2.

I have another GTX 1060 6G, give up the idea to pull it out from my ITX PC.

ReplyQuote
Gotsche
(@gotsche)

How to eliminate the blackscreen with an iMac without iGPU? My iMac late 2013 has a i7-4771 with dGPU 780M. I tink this CPU doesn't own an iGPU.

ReplyQuote
 of  30